1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok, who's the corvette fanatics???

Discussion in 'General' started by XFBO, Jun 22, 2018.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Sooo since I've been reading all these car related threads lately I'm beginning to get a serious itch for a fun car again and I'd say I'm 90% certain it'll be a vette. Have always loved vette's from the young'in days to the present day.

Unless my RV sells soon, I can't even think about the lastest generation, so I guess I need to consider something older, was there any particular generations that were exceptionally good or bad cars? I'd want something competent too not just a cruiser for highway droning.

This might sound a bit batty but I'm pretty sure I'd prefer the C5 over the C6 style-wise, just not a fan of that open headlight design but I suppose I can get over it if y'all tell me that is the one to have.

Some input would be great!

2. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Whatever generation this one is.

[​IMG]

3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

C6 or newer.

Any of the Ls motored cars.

Stay away from LT1
    Definitely stay away from crossfire.

Just find a nice 2008 and make an easy 500rwhp and a good fun car.

XFBO likes this.
  4. Robby-Bobby

You’ll also have to buy jean shorts and white new balance shoes

5. Robby-Bobby

CFE4C3DC-2640-41C2-AE3A-A367A9518760.png 100% accurate

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Just don't let anyone steal it.

[​IMG]

Shenanigans, busa99 and Funkm05 like this.
  7. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I like the Z06 's, early 2000's. I grew up at the dragstrip with uncles that raced and one of them had a '58 w/ 283, (2) 4's,
    '66 Conv coupe 427, '67 Stingray 427 w(3) deuces....and an '80 with a 305 for cryin' out loud.

My midde-age crisis will probably get me a Dodge Viper or a Vette....Or something from Barrets live auction.

XFBO likes this.
  8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

No C3's and no C4's. So anything older then 68 I think and anything 97 or newer. How you like pop up headlights is beyond me but that doesn't make the C5's bad, just uglier then c6's :D If you get a C5 there is one or two years where the ABS pump goes bad and cannot be replaced as no new or rebuilt units exist. Dumb I know, and all it means is no ABS or traction control so if you ok with that you might score a C5 super cheap.

XFBO likes this.
  9. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Grew up with all sorts. ‘85 coupe. ‘91 convertible. ‘98 coupe. ‘02 coupe. ‘07 coupe. The ‘02 was a fun car, but the quality of ‘07 was just far superior. Eliminated the “corvette squeak” and all. Honestly, anything from the ‘00’s you can’t really go wrong if it was taken care of. They’re all different, but enjoyable.

Robby-Bobby and XFBO like this.
  10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

IIRC, those are mid 70's to early 80's, an old HS buddy of mine had a charcoal gray one that was sweet, I think his was an '80 and he barely ever drove it...

Isn't that part of the vette package and experience? There should be a special compartment in the hatch just for those and what a Hawaiian button up? :D

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Robby-Bobby likes this.
  12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

69/73 here

zjay and Shenanigans like this.
  13. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Wow, that's some good info there, TY! It's also the most dumb thing I've ever heard, wasn't there a rule that manufacturers had to keep up on parts for x amount of yrs??? If that's 100% solid, the beautifully hidden pop up headlamp C5's are out. :D

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Aren’t you already middle aged?

Boman Forklift likes this.
  15. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

The boy’s grandfather has a 66, 68, 75, 2010. The 66/68 are big block cars with side pipes and the new one is a Z06.

His 58 and 61 got bought by the GM museum about 10 years ago for “original accuracy” or some shit. They were on display last time I checked.

Just get an 05+ with and LS and a 6-speed.

Shenanigans and XFBO like this.
  16. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

I've got a C5 6 speed. Fun car. Get a C6, a few basic improvements and enhancements and a little more HP. The Z06 would be cool, but parts and repairs will cost more and you can't really really use all the HP unless you put it on a track.

XFBO likes this.
  17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Dont buy an 83! :D The new ones are pretty pimp!

Shenanigans and XFBO like this.
  18. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Lots of corvette's up north here, usually low miles cause we can only use them 6 months out of the year. Friend had a C5 Z06, 450?hp was surely plenty of power. Be prepared to buy tires every 15k miles. :D

XFBO likes this.
  19. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

I was disappointed with the power when I got my C5. Good thing about the LS though is that 7 lbs of boost from a Procharger woke that thing up with 535 hp and could still get 31 mpg.

XFBO likes this.
  20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Get a new ZR1

[​IMG]