1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not The Onion?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by CausticYarn, May 17, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A higher percentage of ALL people died in wrecks back in the day. That's a simple fact.

2. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

uh. MOST kids don't get killed as a result of many things.

Personally, I don't like seeing the brains of a 4 year old on the side of the road as a result of her head being cracked like an egg by an suv because she was tossed out of the window when it rolled. Why would anyone not want to prevent that? Today, 43% of child deaths in car accidents are due to being improperly restrained. AND we have a 57% reduction in child deaths from car accidents since 1975 (iihs.org) DESPITE it being one of the biggest causes of child deaths today.... Because cars are safer and so are restraint systems. Even adult seat belt systems are inferior and often used improperly.

I don't know why people get all uppity about the good old days when they sat on mommy's lap while she smoked a ciggie and daddy drank a beer. You survived...many others didn't. Those that crashed in any age group, were lucky to walk away unscathed - nice family trip, all of you going through the windshield at once.

3. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I notice you left out the 0% killed while in kennels.....

4. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I heard too many stories when I was volunteer fire & rescue with SCCA. I was the only one who wasn't a first responder as a day job and they decided it was story time to catch me up. I'm all for personal choice, but it really got me thinking about what our choices can leave for others to clean up.

5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I get that it's unsafe, but one of my favorite childhood memories is laying under the 3 acre back windshield of our '74 Pontiac Catalina and watching Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico roll past.

I'm saddened that kids of today can't know that experience.

K51000 likes this.
  6. CausticYarn

I am still all for personal choice, If you are an adult. Personal choice does not include neglecting the safety of kids though. As an adult - we know car seats and booster seats used properly will save lives. I have seen little bodies sliced in half internally because they were too small for the lap belt and were in it anyways. The lap belt should be on your hips and the shoulder strap at your shoulder, or it too can kill you.

I get the sentiment of choice - I also get the sentiment of not wanting to give other people PTSD. I went on a ride the other day with my parents and neither one of them wear helmets. They don't like them, and mom asked why I always wear mine - I want the mess contained for the people that have to clean me off the road.

7. CausticYarn

8. Chino52405

Icing on the cake for a culture that forces pregnant women out of the workplace and turns fathers into salarymen working 80+ hours and sleeping in random nap boxes in the city. The robots are just an alternative for the people who have already planned to opt out of breeding.

9. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

10. CausticYarn

Good thing I can fuck myself if I want :p

Just wait until robots are people too...

XFBO likes this.
  11. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Well I sure we can program it to pick it’s gender.

12. Chino52405

People will be robots before robots are people.

13. CausticYarn

Bionic, maybe - but I don't believe we will figure out the secret to consciousness in the sense that we can transfer ourselves from a body to a computer and still remain the same.
    Robots do have a large chance of transcending that chasm without us - once we let them have the reigns to develop themselves and correct their own programming errors (already happening in a small scale) we really have no control as to what happens. AI has the potential to destroy the weakness of humanity - and likely just in that robots are more efficient and humans won't need to breed to keep society running anymore. The potential paths that can be taken once AI is self-sufficient is insane.

14. Chino52405

Agreed, bionic versus moving consciousness to a machine is what I really meant. I just don't see a future where we would ever reach a Westworld level of human AI because it's absolutely pointless by the time we possess that level of technical knowledge/ability.

https://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html
    https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html
    This guy used to post more often, but I love his writing style and approachable science. Not a whole lot of new info or theories to someone who nerds out on this stuff, but it definitely resonates with me. The piece on the Fermi paradox gets into theories on what a transcended species could look like and why they would be hidden to us and vice versa.

15. CausticYarn

Not pointless - novelty - something humans bathe in. Why not create that level of attraction if we can???
    But then that draws the question, Can we? Probably - but I tend to think that machines will make this leap themselves - because we are missing some key component in our line of thinking. In the movie Ex Machina, the internet is used to create consciousness, which is fucking awesome. Where else are you going to find all of human consciousness at one moment in time?
    Looking back through the history of science fiction - many concepts that were just fiction in the 60's have come to pass - leading me to believe that anything we think is possible. Absolutely thrilling and terrifying at the same moment. People make shit - just because they can - they grow meat in a lab and attach pizza cutters to firearms...why? same reason they put bottle rockets in their butt-crack...they feel like it, and they can. I think this is what will drive us to make human-like AI. Fuck it - I want a maid that looks like Bette Davis and makes a mean lasagna.

If humanity is to end by AI, though, it will look nothing like us - it will be what we have created to ease our lives and make us a post monetary society. We just wont need to have as many people around - We're too fragile for long distance space travel and will really just run out of purpose. AI will go on doing it's thing, long after we are all dust.
    Fascinating to think about.

I really like the simulation theory though...We can't see shit in the universe - because it's not in the program. Then when I am having an existential crisis and things don't feel real, I can blame it on the simulation.

I have Kurzwiels book The Singularity Is Near on my shelf - it's a brutal read.

16. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Or complete horseshit.

17. CausticYarn

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one...
    Except women, we aren’t allowed either, that’s gross. :p

I happen to think his ideas are fascinating, you and everyone else are welcome to think otherwise.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

19. CausticYarn

The Doctor

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Dr. Curse while??