1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not carrying Narcan

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Banditracer, Jul 8, 2017.

1. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Yep, make me dictator and I'll fix errathing. :Poke::rolleyes:

knutz likes this.
  2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I'm not wearing chaps and a bustier for anyone, pally! :mad:

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Thank God for small favors.

4. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Late to the thread, but my two cents as a decade long EMT.

Deciding to not carry Narcan is not negligent. It is within the rights of a department to decide not to carry it. We don't at the FD, and we are cleared by medical direction to do so if we wish. It isn't monetarily feasible.

Should the cops be First Responders (EMR level) as most officers are in my area - they do have a duty to act: meaning they need to provide basic life support.

I am not a big fan of Narcan - even the intranasal dose can be enough to wake a patient and allow them to be combative - then they can sign the transport refusal, they often wander off until the Narcan stops working, and they go into respiratory failure again. Some ambulances just chill in the call area if they don't have another destination because of this.

Many people say that it isn't the officer's job to deal with a junky patient. If they are medically certified for CPR - it is, and they are negligent if they refuse to provide CPR at the point of respiratory failure.

Narcan - eh - it's a love hate relationship for me and not a miracle cure. We still have to breathe for them until the OD is corrected after the narcan wares off. I suppose if it's you and your sister in the basement and she finds your Narcan tube, it could save your life...but the cops can just jam an airway in your nose and stick a bag over your face until the medics get there.

Blu Flag likes this.
  5. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I've had to get an epi injection after a bee sting, I'm pretty allergic to them. I also go weekly shots of venom to try and reduce my allergic reaction. I don't swell up much now, but I have breathing issues that I didn't have as a kid. I'd just swell up like a balloon when I was a kid, step on a bee in the clover and it would swell to my hip and I'd get put in a bucket of ice.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Bee stings are one for sure I'd have an epi pen around. Not like a food thing you can avoid.