1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Death Penalty for Sniper....

Discussion in 'General' started by ZebProctor, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

There's always the incorrect assumption that the death penality is cheaper than life in prison. If it costs $40,000 per year to keep a prisoner, that's 25 years for a million. I once read that a death penalty case costs 2-3 million more than a non-capital case.

2. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

I got the figures somewhere... I think it's a little higher
    I always liked the approach in "Escape from New York"

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Eh. Eric I was waiting for you to pop into the discussion, now I don't feel like giving it a go. :D

How's the kid? He still out hunting for me? :D

4. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

No you can't.

5. bigmikey

bigmikey Member

Quote:
    "Are you arguing that anyone who is opposed to the death penalty doesn't care about victims?

Are you also arguing that a punishment system should primarily be the cheapest one?"

Nope & nope. I'm not really sure how what I feel would be the correct level of justice here. I'm generally suspicious of all things when it comes to jury verdicts myself, be it guilty or not guilty. So far as these people go, blood-lusting aside, I think they've sufficiently proven that they aren't deserving of any rights beyond this point, and them receiving the death penalty wouldn't weigh on my mind one bit. They have shown themselves to be a danger to anyone and everyone, with the desire to take lives, and enabling them to continue to exist among any further populations is irresponsible of any society.
    My reasons for bringing up the families were to try to put this "barbarism" into perspective. I think it's far from barbaric to execute 2 persons who are willing to inflict this amount of anguish on others.

6. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Again, well said, BigMikey.

7. SpongeBob WeaselPants

see... those of us who missed the GNF just come here and rant :D
    He arrived here with boocoo dental problems... We'll have them sharpened up soon so protect your ankles

Last edited: Oct 25, 2002
  8. SpongeBob WeaselPants

Can to, Can to, Can to... NYAHHHHHH [​IMG]

9. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Whaaaaaaa! I'm gonna tell! :mad:

10. Madmike

Madmike Drunk Member

Bigmickey......you sure you are in the right place?

Most new people here dont usually jump right in with such good points. I have liked and agree with most of what you said.
    now that your here try working on being called an Assclown or F$#kstick.:D

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Damn it Mike, you know we give people until the third day before we "welcome" them aboard.
    Madmike, for letting the clown out of the bag: Ya' Assclown! :D

12. Due North

That being said, why not skip the trial altogether? The deserve no rights, lets just kill 'em now.

You know, there once was a man who was arrested for killing a young, pretty nurse. He was tried, convicted and sentenced to life in prison. All his appeals were denied. At his parole hearings, he was admonished and denied parole (even though he was a model prisoner) because he would not admit to his crime. The people where the crime took place spoke for years about wanting blood.

You know what? 23 years later he was released after DNA revealed that he wasn't the killer. I guess he's happy there's no death penaty.

Would it be murder to put an innocent man to death?

13. My original post was not to discuss the merits or otherwise of capital punishment, it was to point out that the attitude of most of the postees(?) was pretty much at the same level as the nutcases who were responsible for these heinous acts.

This website is read by many people around the world and the impression that the opening posts of this thread would give to them is that the so called 'leader' of the free world is populated by barbarians.

But then again, maybe it is.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Barry. To lump certain posters (myself included) on this thread with these two fine human beings is one of the most assinine statements I have ever read on this BBS. I immagine that the intent was different then it was written.
    With that being said do I believe that, once convicted, that these two individuals should be stoned to death (or have darts thrown at them, woodchucks chucked at them, or hootergirl boobies pummel them)? Hell no. Be realistic. Now to reverse the options, do I believe that they should spend the remainder of their lives in a relatively comfortable prison cell while their victims rot in their graves? Also no. A jury of ours peers will decide what happens, not a bunch of racers on a BBS.

As for people around the world thinking of us as barbarians, people are going to think what they want and I for one will not be losing any sleep over it. September 11th took care of my having the US crave worldwide acceptance.

15. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

The WERA BBS leader of the free world. Woohooo! Just read one of the F$#kclown threads. That will prove to you that we are leaders alright, just not the free world. :D

David

16. bigmikey

bigmikey Member

Quote:
    "That being said, why not skip the trial altogether? The deserve no rights, lets just kill 'em now."

I thought we were discussing punishments. Sorry, I am now amending my statement to read "If they are found guilty, they deserve no further rights, ......."

Quote:
    "You know, there once was a man who was arrested for killing a young, pretty nurse. He was tried, convicted and sentenced to life in prison. All his appeals were denied. At his parole hearings, he was admonished and denied parole (even though he was a model prisoner) because he would not admit to his crime. The people where the crime took place spoke for years about wanting blood."

Obviously there are exceptional cases, e.g. OJ Simpson. Let's not involve unusual circumstances in with this situation. These men were found sleeping in a vehicle that had been modified to allow a gun to be fired while still in the cover of the vehicle. The vehicle contained the specific instruments used to carry out the crimes, and the gun was ballistically proven to be the murder weapon. Furthermore the suspect has the proper skills in using the weapon to accomplish all the sniper did. He was caught like a duck in a noose.

Sorry if I've offended you, that wasn't my intention. I often question jury verdicts, and how some agencies come up with evidence, and you're right killing people is wrong. Sometimes though, the protection of others' right to live, and their right to live free from fear is the right choice to make. Killers such as the sniper(s) have chosen to play god by taking those rights themselves, and do not, at that point deserve consideration for their own rights. While it may not be a deterent, everyone knows the death penalty is a possible consequence to murdering someone. By commiting the crime you yourself (not implying that you personally would kill anyone) are consenting to having your own life taken.

As Forrest Gump said "that's all I have to say about that." Sorry for the long posts!

17. Due North

bigmikey:

2 things:

1) My point was, it took 23 years before anyone (other than the accused) realized it was an exceptional case.

2) How does the death penalty 'protect' anyone anymore than life in prison?

18. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

It would be a tragedy, but not murder. Apparently, the prosecution must've presented a decent-enough case to convince the jury. There must have been some unusual coincidences in that case. In the case of the snipers, however, they caught these two red-handed. You're not going to change anyone's opinion on this one, Due. They will be found guilty, and sentenced to death. Not quickly enough, IMO.

I still like my alligator idea.;)

19. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

Jesus did...Good book(no pun intended)
    ;)
    BTW in the first half of that book(the"Old" part) I quote:
    Then the Lord said to Moses "The man must die. The whole assembly must stone him outside the camp"Numbers 15:35
    The man's offense? Gathering wood on the Sabbath Day!!
    And ,NO, I'm not saying that would make it right to stone these two(since they didn't kill on Sunday I would lose that argument)
    but "Thou shalt not kill" was on the tablets these folks were carrying with them and exceptions were made.
    Moving forward to the "New" chapters we find the above mentioned Jesus cutting out all that stoning and killing and bringing forth a kinder gentler Holy Spirit(spare me the "holy Wars, Crusades etc."discussion please. Reference here is from within the Bible)
    So I guess we pray for a Jewish jury........:D

20. cedestech

cedestech Well-Known Member

Has anyone here put any thought into the fact that these two
    look allot like patsies? You probably won't get a chance to
    exicute them, they'll get Lee Harvey Ozwalded out before the
    trial comes to fruition.

Emmett Dibble