1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Death Penalty for Sniper....

Discussion in 'General' started by ZebProctor, Oct 24, 2002.

1. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

In Caesar's world...

... the maximum sentence a "criminal" would receive would be 10 years. A sentence equating to "life" would give the convicted the option of incarceration for life or euthanasia. I am not comfortable with the notion of someone else "flipping the switch".

Prisons are overcrowded hellholes. The criminal justice system is just a political band-aid. The reasons for this have more to do with politics and public hysteria than anything else. We, as a society, have an urgency to place blame on someone and demand retribution for the ills that plague us. Never do we give a thought to how things happen and what to do to prevent them from happening. Rehabilitation of convicts? The best I've seen give a prisoner 1/2 hour with a shrink, once a month. The remainder of his time is spent in population, reinforcing those habits that got him inside in the first place and/or teaching him new ones. Yeah, just lock 'em up and throw away the key. God forbid if they ever got loose...

Money buys freedom. Where else can you murder someone and get off with a slap on the wrist, or have justice put off for 30+ years, using money and/or political clout? Why, here in the good old US of A. How many poor innocent slobs course through the system because they don't have the money or don't know any better? More than you'll ever care to know.

The sad part to all of this is that you could really give a shit about any of this...until it happens to you. But, by then, it's too late to do anything about it. All you can do is look into the face of the 12 people sitting on the bench opposite of you and hope none of them have been watching "True Crime" or "A Justice Story" prior to having their daily schedule corrupted just to sit on that hard wooden seat, listening to someone lie to them, and paint a horrible picture of you in their minds. Most of them think your guilty just by being in that courtroom. And you are screwed, guilt or innocence notwithstanding.

Yeah, most of these guys are guilty. But just take a moment to think before you start throwing stones.

2. WERA82

WERA82 Infidel, phone ringing...

I don't. It just sounded like you were defending the justice system that lets people like the snipers live when they really should die. Letting them have life in prison is definitely better treatment than the death penalty.

I think we see eye to eye. (It's not in the Constitution either:)) If someone killed my wife or kid they would die. I'd let the government go at it first. If they failed then I'd do it myself or pay someone. Sure, it might not be "right for society" but I don't think I'd really care if it were my family.

Of course then I would be at the mercy of the "justice" system. The outcome might work to my advantage or not if I died because I got the death penalty. I don't expect the rules to change for me....

I know true justice is unobtainium in any justice system. What we have could be improved on though....

Lee Fields
    LEEnSV #884 Ex

3. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

But by giving them that treatment, are you not a scum sucking, low life, bottom feeding, murderer??

4. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

My point was I don't think alienated losers or psychopaths care much about penalties. For that category at least, deterrents don't work.

Reality is there will be more of them. It would be smarter to deal with that.

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Well, I don't think so.

Butt, that's just my opinion...

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I'd love to hear your plan...

7. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

The death penalty is far more merciful than life in prison. If you only knew (lucky for you) what it's like in a typical prison. OZ on HBO is close but not as brutal. An overwhelming sense of futility and uselessness proliferates. Utter hell.

"Hell is the impossibility of reason."