1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend is getting admitted today for Bone Marrow transplant, any advice for me.

Discussion in 'General' started by L8RSK8R, Jan 9, 2020.

1. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

As a cancer survivor myself, stage III non-Hodgkins lymphoma, I know your friend is going to appreciate your efforts more than you’ll know.
    Be sure to make sure you have a relief aid to allow you to take a break now and then. You’ll need the mental decompression.

L8RSK8R and speedluvn like this.
  2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I have nothing to offer that hasn't been said before in the thread. (1) you are a solid friend. He's lucky to have you in his life. (2) Don't try to do this by yourself. Get some help whenever you can and take some time for yourself. There's no sense in both of you going insane. You need to be at your best when things are rough for him.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Good luck to your friend and to you man. You're one solid dude.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Ciaran,
    Awesome on you for helping out. You've always been an awesome guy the times we've met and even you giving me some business you didn't have to. I'm willing to come give you a few hour break every other week and maybe even every week, if I can do what is needed. I have absolutely no experience with Cancer, but have experience with you and know you are a good dude.

Venom51 and L8RSK8R like this.
  5. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

You already did the right thing. You asked for help. We are right here for you, brother.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  6. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

OP,

The hospital should have a social work department. Ask the social work department about respite care.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  7. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Generous and kind words/thoughts from you guys. I truly appreciate it. I cried a wee bit . Thank you!
    Rob... you're too kind. Always there and willing to help out.

beac83 and Boman Forklift like this.
  8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

^^^^This.

9. L8RSK8R

If any of you have/make the opportunity to meet Rob Linders, you should. He's one of the best humans you'll ever meet on this planet. come February/ March ... I'll invite you and your wife down to San Diego. We'll do a concert at Humphreys. I'll get you a room for the night. You can meet by buddy Joe (from Lorraine Ohio)

10. L8RSK8R

We are insane. Joe used to work for me. He retired 9 Years ago. We've done some crazy shit together. I can't recall 1/4 of it, he remembers everything. Thanks for the solid advise.

11. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

You are a Good person

12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Thank you, that's very kind and not necessary.

How is Joe doing?

13. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Something good to fill the time with.
    I don't know how physically able he will be, but I would find a long term project to work on. I did a balsa RC scale air frame with someone once. Took a month on and off. Needed to be able to sit for an hour or two and use your hands. Lots of slow and steady work. You could always see progress being made, which helped keep interest going. Just some sort of thing to do that's more than just busy work.

And again with making sure you have a backup person who can help when you need a day off or have to do something. It can get hard when it feels like time to run to the grocery store or take care of something for yourself is non-existent.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  14. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

Wow props to you for being a true friend, you mentioned rob linders a few post back and I can’t remember where I’ve heard that name before.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  15. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Like perhaps on this very site? The guy who posted 2 above yours? :)

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I didn't know if he was being sarcastic or what. Rob posts in here all the time, I was like o_O.

17. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

That's a good friend. Vibes/prayers/thoughts.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  18. L8RSK8R

Joe's doing great.
    5 days of chemo and he didn't notice any changes/effects.
    His new birthdate is Jan 10th 2020.
    We know it's gonna get rough in next following weeks/months.
    His donor is a 20 year old guy from Germany.
    They had another donor available in August (50 year old guy) but decided to hold out for a better fit.
    I couldn't visit him today as I've got a bit of a cold.
    Thank you all for the encouragement and kind words.

Attached Files:

19. Uncle Snake

Uncle Snake Well-Known Member

Put hand sanitizer in every room of his house and use it often. Learn to use the bathroom with out touching anything in the stall when your out to avoid pickig up germs, etc. Your friend will have zero immune system it will be insanely easy for him tp get sick.

I was neutropenic for 2.5 years while undergoing chemo. It's all about maintaining a germ free environment. Best of luck!

L8RSK8R likes this.
  20. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

Wow I noticed this in another thread. Oops