1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motoamerica silly season

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Totally agree.

Ghost of Casby likes this.
  2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

And red flags and delays in a 200 are nothing new. We sat down long enough in 2011 for Latus to swap a motor because of the front tire fiasco and when the race restarted I think Barrett Long popped on the start and the 200 ended up being decided by a 15 lap sprint race that ended with that Knapp, Westby and Herrin pile-up at the stripe. Things happen. Lapped riders have always been a thing at Daytona and I didn't hear of any more issues with them this year than others.

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

In today's road racing climate in the US, if you judged a pro series based on the TV deal they had ...

4. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

I remember that race. Officials didn't even come close to following the rulebook on that deal, they were wingin' it. That was the biggest difference in 2015: MotoAmerica officials consistently followed what the applicable sections of the rulebook actually said, and applied the rules fairly no matter who was involved. That approach changed the entire vibe in the paddock.

Blue Junk likes this.

5. Technically, seeing how the riders at the Daytona 200 can be considered Experts and they did engage in the activity in an attempt to make monetary gains, then, by definition. the race was a professional race. :)

Nowhere in there does it say someones SOLE source of income must be from a particular skill/trade/activity for one to be considered a "professional". For example, the TV repair man who is also a certified and experienced Plumber and does plumbing jobs on the side for extra income...he is considered a Professional Plumber, even though his main source of income is from repairing TVs.

Nowhere in there does it say the activity must be undertaken on live television.

Carry on. :D

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

One of the ways I look at it is this: if they would have taken my money and let me give it a try, it's a club race. (The opposite doesn't necessarily make it a professional race, but it's a good start.)

7. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

If there is money involved, it is a professional race to me

8. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

so novice solo's! lol..

WANABE RACER likes this.
  9. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I saw MotoAmerica racing on TV last year. I didn't see the 200 on TV.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

John, what is Hammer and CU racing doing for next year?

11. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Thanks, P.

:cool:

12. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Racing motorcycles. Details to follow.

ungwaha likes this.
  13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I took pics of people sleeping in the infield stands waiting for it to be over.

14. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

It was on my TV last year. Hooked my laptop up to my TV and streamed it off Fanschoice. NOTHING wrong with streaming. I would rather have that then a wrap-up show on a channel that isn't even offered on my cable network.

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

when you come to the States... Ill take you to some drag strips. All kinds of money getting thrown around! You dont even need to own a bike to get some! :D

16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Professional racer = paid for services not results
    Club Racer = may be paid but based on performance/ results aka winnings.

There are plenty of riders on Pro level equipment vying for professional status. I assume most do it hoping it's a temporary means to a paying end.

Pro or club is not defined by lap times.

Paid before the checkered flag is a Pro (Employed)
    Paid after checkered only is a club racer. (self employed)

17. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Technically Hayes, Baubier, Hayden, Herrin, pay an entry fee to race....

18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I doubt that very much.

19. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

You missed the point.
    And technically the teams they ride for probably pay the entry fee.

20. Holy shit. This subject has been beated to death in numerous threads, probably since racing and forums began, and that is the most logical, reasonable definition I have ever seen. You might have actually solved if a bear shits in the woods.

The ONLY problem is the economy combined with the state of racing in the US. 6-7 years ago I would have said that is the perfect definition with no "holes" in it. But today there are few riders who are paid an actual salary, regardless of results. And there definitely some names on that non-salary list that i would consider Pro riders. But even with that being said, that definition makes more sense than any others I have seen, even mine. :D

Which, by that definition, means the event is irrelevent. The professional tag follows the racers, moreso than the event itself. In Hayes races in the Daytona 200, that doesnt necessarily make the 200 a Pro event, but Hayes is damn sure a Pro rider. Now, if we get 10 of those Pro riders battling it out for a huge purse, then it would be easy enough to say that is a Pro race...regardless of the sanctioning body. But that of course opens up another grey area and can of worms.