1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motoamerica silly season

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Nov 18, 2015.

1. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Definitely. That's why I went to vir for the rbom sv challenge. I knew a lot of fast guys would show up and it was a blast. Hell I didn't even get a nickel and didn't care. The racing was awesome.

2. Yep, that is exactly what I was getting at.

3. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

You should have been around back in the day when the last wave of grid was damn new in last turn at VIR

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

We still have a motorcycle racing series in the US. Who knew?

Ghost of Casby and jt21 like this.
  5. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

The purse for the 2015 Daytona 200 alone was as big as the combined purse from all classes the last time DMG ran there. It paid deeper into the field, too. By far the biggest purse for a motorcycle race in the US. So yes, the question is, what is the operating definition of a professional race vs. a club race? The last time DMG ran the event (2014), Danny Eslick won and the race had about 29 entries. The first time ASRA ran the event with the bigger purse, Danny Eslick won, beating Josh Herrin, and the grid was about twice as big. Yet I got e-mails complaining that it was "a club race" without any good racers in it. Discuss.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It's a club race IMHO but it had some heavy hitters racing and an awesome purse.

We'll see what 2016 makes it.

7. John29

It will be the same as it was in 2015.

Still having trouble figuring out what the operating definition of "professional race" vs. "club race" is. The winner gets $30,000 and a Rolex watch and it's not a professional race?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Same argument as to what makes a professional team. There is no real answer since no one can agree.

Ghost of Casby likes this.
  9. John29

The way it's been explained to me a few times is that the definition of a professional team that should not be allowed to race in a given event is any team fielding a rider who is going faster than the complaining party.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

John, it really comes down to opinions and the sanctioning body. Gray areas of what should be black and white. I think of it like telling someone why chicken parm is the greatest food off all time. It just is. :)

I forgot to add well run before the club race part.

11. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Being on TV would make it more of a "pro" race.

12. John29

It didn't go that smoothly. Many red flags and it took a couple extra hours to complete. But it still paid well!

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds about right :D

Also a professional team is any team with a truck/trailer larger than the complaining party.

14. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

IMO, any race's importance (or relevance), regardless of sanctioning body, is determined by the caliber of competition.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well in that case there is a shit ton of pro racing going on in the US all season long.

16. John29

Yes! At least that's what one very irate lady told me once when we showed up with a semi-truck and 16-year-old Hopper, who then beat her husband in his first time on that particular racetrack. "I just don't think it's fair that a rider who shows up in a semi-truck should be allowed to race."

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah but with the vast difference in the "talent levels" of many of the riders on the grid, that was kind of expected.

and there was a free Rolex involved. Give the pole winner a chicken parm sandwich along with the $15K ~ $20K watch (I can't remember which Daytona they get) and the good payoff and it's a great club race. I like Rolex and chicken parm.

18. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Yeah, aren't they supposed to pull in after the white flag?:D

19. John29

Varying rider talent is nothing new. Look at results from the 1980s. Didn't KR lap the entire field when he won in, I think, 1984?

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  20. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I don't care what it's called necessarily. If Josh Hayes shows up to a "club" race, you now have to go Josh Hayes fast to win any race he's in regardless of who the sanctioning body is.

lostinbama likes this.