1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica changes for 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:crackup: :Pop:

2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Gauntlet

Has been thrown down

track wagon and hotnail like this.
  3. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Maybe its just a time/space filler? Who cares if its going to have up and comers or the next motogp star, its something else to watch when you attend a race weekend.
    Heck, I went to F1 last year, I can't tell you who won, who lost, who crashed, but you know what I remember? Some nobody in the porsche cup cars that I was convinced was going to crash every single lap in the esses.
    Adding more to the show, and potentially something memorable is not a bad thing.

4. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

Essentially tired off pussies dawging a bike/class that is competitive and now will be offered at a pro level.

roaring toyz likes this.
  5. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Look Kanye, I REALLY hate to hurt your feelings and all but..... look at the talent list in the XR series...

Fong, rapp, McWilliams, Carlson, WYMAN, etc... hell let's throw you way back.... how do you think the bostroms got noticed? Because they could ride the shit out of big old fat shitty handling bikes that people said "those shouldn't be racing"

6. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Why is it not a stepping stone and will not build talent?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Name every single Harley XR and/or KTM champion that went on to, you know, anything. Gauge McAlister to the white courtesy phone.

In fact, tell me all about all the Harley class champs and then all the KTM champs and then let's list all their current roadracing rides and all the doors it opened overseas and domestically.

418, G 97 and Gorilla George like this.
  8. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Forget about Harley but KTM (or new 300 class) is good thing. It is wrong time to judge existence of that class.
    Twins can also be good class if structured right, imo.

9. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Pj Jacobsen?
    Bobby Fong?
    Danny Eslick?
    I know there is more...
    I know those guys were throwing down some crazy fast times on the XR's because I was struggling to qualify :crackup:

Edit-not champions but guys who raced the class for exposure

Ride safe,
    AAron

hotnail likes this.
  10. slowohioboy344

slowohioboy344 Well-Known Member

I really like the changes, and think they realize ther needs to be more "show" at the races.

The racing has been fantastic for 2-3 guys at the front of combined classes, and the rest have kinda been lost in the shuffle. There aren't enough current riders to support breaking the 600/1000 classes up, or you would have 2-3 rows on each grid. This has been a shame because the competition in all 4 classes has been really good but leaders in the STK classes are in the middle of a pack of mixed class riders in the races.

The pro twins class will be great to watch as long as enough bikes fill the grids. I don't really see it creating any sort of factory support levels, but hopefully some contingency cash will be made available from them. With any luck a couple of the teams will be able to bring in some outside sponsorship, and maybe that could become a path for sponsors to enter the series as well.

Like the 300 class structure change as well. But don't like the STK 1000, this will just pull riders from the superbike grid in my opinion.

11. notbostrom

Barnes, Eslick

12. I am not and have never dogged an SV. I mean shit, I race a Grom. I never even said this class was a bad idea. Hell, I wish they would have a HW-Twins class. But that is beside the point.

In case you missed it, my question was "who exactly are they trying to target with this class?".

If they are just trying to have a place for 35-50yr old LWT racers to race "Professionally", and bring more money into MotoAmerica, then so be it.

But IMO, that is what WERA is for, and again IMO, all I see this class accomplishing is taken money and racers away from WERA.

WERA already has great LWT grids/racing. If people want to compete on an SV, let them race WERA. Then when they are ready to step up to a 600, they can do that with WERA also. Then when they are ready to go Pro, they can race a 600.

It doesn't have anything to do with anyone "being a bitch", and it damn sure doesn't have a fucking thing to do with being "scared". I've raced tons of bikes, including one that is lighter than most 600s and makes over 200hp. I can assure you I am not scared of an SV. I just can't figure out who exactly they are trying to appeal/target this class to.

Is it supposed to be another stepping stone? Do they think the new progression will be 300>SV>600>1000?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  13. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The only ones I can truly think of are the Bostroms. All the rest had done well on other bikes before that.

15. notbostrom

Sadly those 50 something guys on available will put more spectators in the stands than the factory guys. Every one of us would probably have 15 plus friends and family show up. Boom, you just covered the track rental

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That always sounds so good but it's not the way it works sadly. If it did I'd be rich :crackup:

17. metricdevilmoto

Every single one of those roadracers were well established before they raced in that series. Why not mention Jeremy McWilliams?

I'm talking about the more recent XR series, not the HD Super twins class. Those classes had different purposes.

18. First they brought in 300s, now they are bringing in LWTs. It almost seems as if they are trying to take over racing in America as a whole, and are on their way to putting club racing out of business.

stickboy274 likes this.
  19. metricdevilmoto

Why don't these 15 roadracing superfans show up to a club race then?

Gorilla George likes this.
  20. metricdevilmoto

Really?