1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica changes for 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Sep 9, 2017.

1. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

cajun636 likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not a fan from the perspective of running a Pro/Am series since it'll take even more riders from our grids but I get why they're doing it and it should work well for them.

3. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

Looks like they took Robby-Bobby's advice. I like the changes.

4. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Lol damn like they were literally reading what i wrote damn near exactly!

Like seriously, DAMN!

jeffr1ey likes this.
  5. Robby-Bobby

Although they didn't invite the triumph street triple:(

I think it'll help wera also seeing as a LOT of guys will be testing their setups at events.

sheepofblue and cajun636 like this.
  6. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Pro twins is super rad

although, I'm not sure we have enough riders for all of those grids

7. rcarson15

Well there are generally quite a few expert LWT twin riders to grid up, and WERA definitely has some rockets in that group with the Buric/Parrish/Bays freight train

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Robby-Bobby

Excited to see the rules package. Might have to build me another bike.

I've always loved the 650 sized twins and seem to go well on them. I'm excited!

Now to think about getting in shape while eating this whataburger breakfast!

cajun636, 5axis and rcarson15 like this.
  9. Yep, it almost seems like they have paid attention to damn near every beeb thread on this subject. Those are exactly the things we have been suggesting.

Now if only they would pay attention to our request for online subscriptions through the MotoAmerica site (rather than through BEIN) so we can watch races online (like WSBK and MotoGP).

sheepofblue likes this.
  10. rcarson15

Baby steps

track wagon likes this.
  11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Havent really kept up with MA rules, but I assume a year cut off of for the twins? '16-'17?

12. rcarson15

Why would they want to limit the year?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sadly that's not how it works for the vast majority of racers. Once they start spending the money to chase the pro stuff they can't afford to do other events.

14. Robby-Bobby

At first I agreed with you but thinking positively, I think the cost for a 600/1000 is at least twice that of a little twin so hopefully the cost won't be as high.
    Other than the normal or travel and such...

15. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

To get the OEMs to potentially support, get the new models seen (eg. The KTM)... No clue for sure but I assume they don't want an '01 SV out here when the 2018 is available and Suzuki wants to sell bikes.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The travel and all that and spec tires will keep the costs up. Nowhere near like a 600/1000 of course but still enough that a lot of club level riders will go chase it to call themselves pro and spend their entire budget on doing it. Can't blame them.

Like I said, I totally get it and agree with it from the MA perspective. I think its a good move for them. Even though I know it will have some effect on our grids. I'm not saying it'll kill us or even hurt us severely or the like, it'll just have an effect. Longer term it may help the LW twins as there will be some cool stuff available every year if the OEM's get involved in the class.

I'm also hoping we'll be able to figure out some things and work with them to make a more linear progression to pro that will work well for the long term of the sport. It's been great working with them on our few events this year. They're good people and truly are looking at the long term good for everyone.

track wagon, sheepofblue and rk97 like this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I would hope no, if they get contingency that will keep the bikes newer on it's own. No point running an 01 even if you win the championship if running a 17 will pay you money every weekend.

track wagon and RRP like this.
  18. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

To make sure people are buying bikes.. manufacturers want to sell new stuff..

Gorilla George and Robby-Bobby like this.
  19. :stupid:

MA is a Pro series and they don't want clapped out 15 year old SVs in their show.

Odilup, track wagon and jeffr1ey like this.
  20. rcarson15

Yeah but if they limit the year, they'll cripple their series before it even gets off the ground. Who do you know that runs a 16-17 Sv? Lol

Edit: don't know the interchangeability of 2nd gens to the new ones

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017