1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica changes for 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

No one running a Kawi 650?

2. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

The dyno charts I've seen on SS build FZ07's has a pretty flat torque curve. From people that have rode this bike, revving it near redline isn't the best way to ride it and get fast lap times. One person said to me it's like an electric motor, torque everywhere and it doesn't really care what gear you are in. This coming from an experienced racer.

Gonzo523 likes this.
  3. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Agree. It has a ton of torque and midrange. I raced mine at Roebling and I only needed to downshift once into 1 and it could pull 5th all the way to turn 4.

4. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Haven't noticed many of those in the states. Pair of Nines (Jimmy Falice / Jay Springsteen) ran a Bill Werner built Kawi 650 in the Moto ST series and it ran pretty good. 90% of the lighweight class at the Isle of Man in 2014 were Kawi 650s. I'm surprised more folks haven't built them over the years.

5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

If you know anything about an SV and look at the IOM rulebook for LW bikes you'll know why they're all EX650s. The dickbag who came up with the rules specialized in the EX650 and he skewed the rules against the SV. After reading MA LW rules, I have to wonder if the same thing happened.

5axis likes this.
  6. grasshopper

Interesting. I wonder why. Wasn't Blue Ridge Performance all gung-ho about the 650r for a while?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  7. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

Ahhh shit, don't get Gary all rowd up!!

cajun636, JustaNobody and renegade17 like this.
  8. drewnabobber

drewnabobber Well-Known Member

New rules look like they were written for the FZ07. AP has some really neat stuff on the intake and the transmission, and it is all legal. Meanwhile, a common and easy 2mm overbore is not allowed...

9. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

very observant......

10. JustaNobody

JustaNobody Well-Known Member

Wasn't really meant as a burn , as per the race results he's in his 3rd year racing and 1st as an expert , I guess I need to do some talking with experienced people that have run both :)

11. JustaNobody

What was silly about it ???? Nothing

The bottom line is as of now the 1st and 2nd gen SV is the LWT to have , I haven't been impressed with any of the FZs I've seen ... Ya they're cool to look at but SVs are still winning the races

12. JustaNobody

Have you ridden a newer gladius or SV Chris ?

Ken Mcdonald likes this.
  13. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

We've had a quite a few come through our organization, and with the same modification level they seem to do just fine vs. a SV.

I think the issue is a catch 22, no one runs them...so no one runs them.

Be interested to see someone build up the brand new one that lost a bunch of weight in the frame/swinger/wheels and see how they are.

Cam Morehead likes this.
  14. grasshopper

Is he still around? I should call him and rile him all up

15. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

Not yet, but a plan is in motion...

JustaNobody likes this.
  16. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Kawi is not bad if you build it, it can keep up with sv,s on club level.
    Both of this bikes will be worst choice for MA. Which is funny considering they are most popular street and race and tons of them around.

Ken Mcdonald, 5axis and regularguy like this.
  17. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

They didn't write rules for Kawi and SV... Yamaha needs their dick to be the biggest.

JustaNobody, 5axis and rcarson15 like this.
  18. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Really? Elaborate please

19. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

no replacement for displacement. 650 vs 689 vs 800.

Remember, the SV started as a 400 and suffers from a weak crank. MA rules require stock crank so cant use billet. Remedy to help crank is run total loss or BDK lightweight genny but rules prohibit that.

The Gladdy and the 17 SV have a heavier crank. Not sure if it's stronger. Not too much race data on them. We will see..

20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

that's where the restrictor plates and weight penalties come into play... nobody knows at this point