1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica 2022 silly season

Discussion in 'General' started by kenessex, Sep 20, 2021.

1. 418

418 Expert #59

You racing MA next year any?

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I really want to, but I don't currently have a bike. If a 17+ R6 pops up and I can buy it, I absolutely will try for a round or two.

Slightly related - I totally plan to run the WSS Spec electronics if I jump back in. I love the idea of learning something like that and being one of the first in the US to do it. The ECU cost is comparable to the pro race flashes. And some euro race teams like TenKate sell wiring harnesses.

418 likes this.
  3. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Do you think the sponsors are tapped out or would they come up with more money if they were getting more exposure? I would think that any sponsor is looking at exposure being worth the dollars spent as advertising that benefits their corporate bottom line, whether it is a direct impact on sales or an enhancement of corporate image which leads to market strength. To me, if sponsorship is a good business decision, then a longer more dense season would be good for business and worth some more expense.
    Is MA making any money with their TV and streaming? I would pay more for MA live+ if it was for more race weekends.

4. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Wasn't there M/V middleweight relatively competitive in WSS a year or so back??? Like on the box (or wins) for a couple rounds?
    Interesting to see if someone with deep pockets throws a M/V in the mix.

5. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I think P.J. put it on the box a few times when the engine didn't resemble a hand grenade.

6. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I almost bought one of these about 4 years ago with dreams of running AMA SS right after they changed the rules back to FIM and got rid of the 848.

Then I rode one- it's slow compared to the R6, that was all I needed to see. The multiple DNF's sealed the deal for me- the ones I saw club raced were NOT reliable. They entered 2 in the D200 and they both blew up.

My initial hunch is that the new bikes won't be a big threat in the coming years.

7. stangmx13

Someone raced the MV in MA SS with support from someone related to MV. He got last a lot and would have scored far better on another bike. Ugh, who was it?!?

8. evomach

evomach Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it was Javelin Broderick

stk0308 and stangmx13 like this.
  9. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

DeRosa is the dude that was hustling the M/V around in WSS with good results

10. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

PJ raced an MV in WSS as well. So did Cluzel and Zanetti. That's also a factory backed effort. I've seen other results vary. Bruce Meyers was involved with someone racing one not that long ago in the D200 in 17 or 18 maybe? Might have been Taylor Knapp and a Loudon guy whose name I can't remember right now. I don't recall exactly, but the Loudon guy had some kind of mechanical and I think Knapp was just inside the top 20.

11. Ken Roberts

Ken Roberts Active Member

When I was sponsored Kenny and Trey, I gave them X dollars per weekend. If my company had a great month, I gave them even more. When they went out of state, there was no direct ROI, but there was ALWAYS a good ROI, as Kenny sent me a ton of work. More races do not always mean more exposure, but for me it was worth it.

12. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Quick search on MA website, Alex Phillis raced one.

I think the 800cc version is identical as the 675 isnt it?
    If someone can get the setup from the WSS bikes and just run the bigger motor it might be ok

upload_2021-10-8_9-29-24.png

stangmx13 likes this.
  13. metricdevilmoto

The point with the MV comments is to illustrate that with proper support, the bike is competitive at the WSS level and without it, it's not. It's going to take a lot more than the motorcycles being legal in the class to make them relevant. The R6 was dominant when it had the best support. Now, the GSXR600 and the ZX6R have the best support, so they are dominant. The only SS race won by an R6 this season was in the wet at Barber. Before that, the last time an R6 won a race was with PJ Jacobsen on the HSBK bike early in 2019.

These bikes will need proper teams behind them if they are even going to matter. And then they'll need good riders to race them. Because even a developed package like the R6 with a good rider won't be consistently competitive without a proper team.

14. stangmx13

He was so far ahead of me, I didn't even realize there was an MV in the race :crackup:

rafa likes this.
  15. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

MA is looking into its crystal ball and sees the 4 jap brands are slowly leaving the 600 street bike market.
    MA is opening up the class to help offset this loss coming down the pike.

Gino230, baconologist and ajcjr like this.
  16. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

I like that idea. Are they already allowed into B-SBK like the 1125?

17. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Its not MA, its FIM. But still correct.

koth442, henry_carlson and stk0308 like this.
  18. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

having a class that is basically the same as overseas may see some more competition come into MA.

19. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

Hayden Gillim rode an MV for a season. Maybe 2014 or so...? The year before he got the "Man in a Van" deal with Cycle World
    He wasn't overjoyed to be riding it, but kept quiet because it was all he was offered.

20. metricdevilmoto

The classes are pretty well aligned now and what isn't could be fixed for way less than what trans-Atlantic flights for a team would cost, and so far ...