1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica 2022 silly season

Discussion in 'General' started by kenessex, Sep 20, 2021.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Choose your weapon. Look at the rule book and then figure out what platform you're going to race in the class you chose to race in. But then, please, for the love of Cher, don't bitch because someone chose better. It's really super simple.

2. MyWayGuy

MyWayGuy Well-Known Member

Exactly.

These changes to the SS rule has really revitalized my interest in the class. Hopefully the racing will still be great too

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

This. WSS was dead, and supersport was dying here this is a good idea to try and revive it.

stk0308 likes this.
  4. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, get EBR or Buell or whatever they are calling themselves to make a RR version, destroked to 955 and with a normal front end.
    ebr 955.JPG

evakat likes this.
  5. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Well Josh, I didn't mean it like that!
    But if you've got something in the works we need to know pronto!

6. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I imagine it'll be tough to for local clubs to keep parody with MA spec when having to police balancing measures

From RRW: "In addition, all of the machines in the class will be subject to balancing enhancements or restrictions through the use of concession parts, torque-limiting engine maps, engine rev limits, minimum weight limits, air intake restrictors, and other methods."

7. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

It’ll take a legit solid effort to win in the 959.

pegram threw the wallet at the 848 and did decently on it.

personally I would be more worried about a solid rider on a good triumph. IMO that would be the one to spank that ass!

8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I don't think the clubs racing will be doing this. It will be hard enough for MA.
    Either way, I expect you would be spending a bit more than someone running one of the Japanese built 600s (or 636 as the case may be).

9. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

The Ducati will be very expensive. The triumph shouldn’t be much more than a nap bike in my experience.

10. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Some clubs (Not WERA) might be considered a parody of MA. Fairly comical sometimes.

11. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

The mods are quite limited on the new additions to the SS class. The motors will have to be stock. MA is requiring the next generation SS bikes to be Ride By Wire, either with a kit or from the factory. They will be able to modify the rev limit and torque map at will for performance balancing.

The language in the performance balancing is too risky IMO for a top team to put in the expense try and win on one. If someone starts winning on a 959, they can limit it based on one rider's performance.

My prediction is you'll see a few guys mid pack or lower playing around on these things, the fans will get to see their favorite brands compete, and not much will change initially.

They did open up the rules a little with respect to cams and valve area for the rest of the SS class.

2.5.3.1 Balancing Calculation

1. 1) The DWO algorithm will be used to analyse the performance of the machines relative to one another.

2. 2) The algorithm may include but not be limited to the following signals:

Lap time relative to all other competitors
    Speed traps
    Number of riders per brand
    Anticipated individual rider performance Per track
    Considering preceding rounds Race results
    Laps led
    Overall race time
    Change in balance following any rpm limiter changes
    Bias towards recent results reflecting current performance Any concession part updates being applied

3) The balancing factors may be updated (according to Art. 2.5.3) at the end of every 3rd event provided at least 3 events remain in the season. The balance will be weighted to the data collected during the previous 6 events.

1. 4) The primary method of balancing will be torque limited maps updated in increments of +- x %

2. 5) The balancing factors may also be updated at the end of the season.

3. 6) FIM/DWO/MotoAmerica reserves the right to update the balance at their discretion in the

case of an imbalance.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

With what money?

Problem would be that IF I had the money, the infrastructure and all the shit needed to run a two bike/ rider program it wouldn’t be with Yamahas.

13. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

If you're not allowed to mod the engine, the chassis mods will be the same as any SS bike. Revs are limited to 11k, not sure what they rev to stock? I've never ridden a 959, don't know much about the reliability, chassis, etc. Gotta be at least 140 HP, we were getting 135 out of my 848 EVO with just base gaskets and a tune on purple Sunoco.

14. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Does that thing still have a Rotax engine?

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Why doesn't MA have more rounds with fewer big gaps between rounds? I am a little disappointed that the season is over, already. There are plenty of tracks in the US that have good weather both early and late in the year where they could still hold races. What I don't know is the economics involved. I would think that in a professional series, the more races the more profit for all involved. If MA and that top teams aren't making money, then they need to rethink their business model.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Man, look at the F2 and F3 world championship calendars this year, if you think that's bad. F2 is just starting it two-month break before the final round. In the series have the backing of Formula 1. Hell, I think WSBK is going to have around five weeks between the final two rounds this year. It's complicated for everyone.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, what I've read so far has me going nope, not even going to try and replicate that one. Most I could see is allowing the triples and twins they do into C Superbike and limit them to Superstock spec.

Way too early for us to worry about the death of the 600 class at our level.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

More races is more expense for same sponsor dollars at this point. Hopefully it's getting better.

As for the tracks they could go to now - we've had snow at the GNF... The gamble for a pro race with the investment needed in promotions is just too high.

19. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

IMSA uses something like this for their BOP (balance of performance) and it has made the racing very interesting. They usually can restrict the cars with fuel load and or air inlet, obviously that would not work in a motorcycle sprint race.

20. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I will be very surprised if any of the new bikes make it onto the podium next year. Figuring out a new chassis and electronics on a new engine will be time consuming to say the least. At best, someone has contacts in BSB and can get a hold of a good setup for the Triumph. But even then, what well-funded team is going to both take-on a new bike and attract a rider capable of putting a disadvantaged bike on the podium? That combo doesnt exist in MA SS.

Gino230 and 418 like this.