1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marchesini Cush Rubber Options?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Tractionless, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Tractionless

Tractionless Well-Known Member

Update from Timm,

I just poured the first part a few minutes ago. This first set will probably be a bit too hard, but I want to make a set and get them in your hands as soon as possible so that you can check the fit. These parts are slightly larger than the originals, so I'll make adjustments and send out a new set if necessary.
    I'll start pouring the formulation that I want you to test later today or tomorrow and I'll get them sent to you as soon as I get five of them. It takes extra time because I only have a single cavity mold right now and I have to wait for our molding dept to be using the specific formulation that we need. I also want to pour a set using a third formulation, but again I have to wait till it comes up on our production schedule.
    I'm keeping an eye on ebay to pick up a Marchesini rear for myself so that I can check fit quicker and test the cushions on my bike. If I manage to get one I may even pour the parts directly in the hub to get an exact fit.
    I'll let you know when I get the cushions in the mail.

2. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

same problem as everyone else. I'm interested to see what you come up with. Keep us up to date. :up:

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

NICE!!!

We have progress :D

4. Tractionless

Timm is mailing the 1st run (2 sets) this week. I will have them installed and tested on 11/21. I was able to fry a brand new set of Marchesini's in 8 trackday sessions, so even 1 day should be a good start. Pic. below shows the new units left and right of the Marchesini before being trimmed to size.

[​IMG]

5. Tractionless

Timm asked me to post the following:

In reality hardness doesn't matter. The three things that count are the amount of deflection under load, how much the part rebounds after the load is removed, and how quickly it does so.

When you get play in the cush drive (because the cushions stay deformed) two things will happen:
    1. You get that "hit in the rear" feeling that you described.
    2. Your bike's drivetrain will experience a sharp spike in load that causes undue stress on your transmission, which can lead to premature wear.

My goal is to get a bit more of deflection compared to the stock cushions (nicer to the transmission), as close as possible to 100% rebound, quicker rebound, and longer life.

The amber colored "A" set in the pics is just for fitment. They might work, but IMO they won't absorb enough shock. You may not need to use them at all since I have a white colored "B" set that is "softer". I'm hoping that our molding guy finishes the white set today so that I can trim them and send both sets out tonight. The white ones are actually a bit harder than the Marchesini cushions, but they are a good start to see if we are headed in the right direction. The third formulation is the one that I think will work best, but I'm not sure how soon I can get those molded, so we can just move forward with what we have right now. I'll be doing some testing in the lab later in the week in order to compare the Marchesini parts with my parts to see how they compare under controlled conditions.

Thanks,

Timm

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

If he needs... I can loan him a marchi rear to test fitament.

7. Tractionless

Turboblew,

Thanks I'll pass the word along to Timm.

8. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Thanks for the offer Turboblew. I'm bidding on a Marchesini Rear on ebay right now, but if that doesn't work out I may be giving you a call.

Tractionless should get the first set for checking fit tomorrow or Monday, I have two more sets that I'll be send him for testing next weekend. Going down to the lab to make some more parts right now.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Ill pm ya my #/email just in case :beer:

10. InvisibleSaddle

InvisibleSaddle Well-Known Member

I'm interested as well. I want to see what the test results come back saying.

11. casual

casual Well-Known Member

subscribed 4 one

12. Diabolik

Diabolik Active Member

+1 Id be in for a set as well as Ive had the same problem with my March rims. Please keep us posted.

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The new ones I just installed 6 trackdays ago are already developing noticeable play in them......consider me down for a set once they are good to go.

14. Tractionless

At least you got 6 days out of them. The units that came with my NEW FROM THE DISTRIBUTOR wheel set didn't even last 8 sessions!! The cush would rock back and fourth easily 1/4". The replacement set they sent me lasted 6 sessions so far but it not as tight as when 1st installed. Bike is an '05 GSXR 750 16t front 45t rear, with stock motor, full exhaust, TRE, non-slipper. We are not talking a HUGE hp/tq. bike here.

I am expecting the fitment trial only set tomorrow and will report back to Timm on their exactness. Timm will then trim up 2 sets one harder than the other and get them out to me to try this coming Sunday 11/21.

15. Tractionless

Update

I received the initial set for fitment only yesterday and installed last night. So far the only adjustment that needs to be made is to the overall height and we are only talking .3mm!! Pretty good on Timm's part for not physically having a mock up wheel. They fit much more snug than the Marchesini issued pieces. The sprocket carrier has to be rocked in and out and there is zero initial fore and aft movement which I experience with brand new Marchesini pieces.

Timm is sending 2 more sets today for trial on track this weekend.

16. G2G

G2G I feel the need

So what are we looking at cost wise to get a set of these custom cush rubbers??? I'm interested once the final mold is perfected.

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

^^^ +1

If Timm is indeed interested in making these in batches/bulk to make some $ for himself, and it works well I'll gladly pimp out his name all over the place or keep it on the DL, whatever.

18. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I'm working on a sort of "Stage Two R&D" introductory price for a few WERA racers after I get some feedback from Tractionless on the first two ("B" and "C")compounds. I'll be especially interested in 3 or 4 guys who can do trackdays/races this winter. The goal of the second round will be to get more data on durability and feedback on how they feel. These "R&D" guys will be able to exchange their cushions for the latest updated compounds/designs if they wish. After that others should expect that they will be able to buy a part that performs better than the stock Marchesini part, but the price will be higher than the R&D price. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks,

Timm

19. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Big Thanks to Turboblew. He has graciously agreed to send me a wheel and cush drive so that I can get all the dimensions I need for the building the production mold. I should be ready to mold parts for phase two testing in 2-3 weeks! Just in time for Christmas ;)

Thanks again Steve!

20. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

:crackup: yeah its annoying! We just shim ours with old valve shim feeler gauges, honestly. ghetto but it works very well.