1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making your own race parts

Discussion in 'General' started by TheGrouchyCat, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

That will look good after that ball mill gets done. Nice work.

JBall likes this.
  2. The_R1_Kid

The_R1_Kid Well-Known Member

Yep TM1 and mini mill are single phase.
    Doing light production on a TM1 right now. For what it is it's a great machine. I'm 6 months away from a big mill upgrade though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boman Forklift likes this.
  3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Not race parts, but the lawnmower needed a new spindle a couple weeks ago...
    [​IMG]

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Adding an additional larger machine or swapping it out in place of the TM1?

5. The_R1_Kid

Swapping it out. I've had this one since 2008. It's great, I just need faster. likely A VF2 or Doosan DNM4500

6. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Get a vf4ss. You'll thank me later

7. The_R1_Kid

VF4 won't fit in my shop door and is larger than I need, but yea VF2ss looks great. My parts are small and the bigger size of a vf4 isn't really helpful since I'm not a job shop anymore. I just need RPM's and fast surfacing. stuck at 6000rpm and 31 inches a minute 3D surfacing with the TM1
    a Doosan is more machine in every direction compared to Haas for the same price, and a Fanuc control isn't that bad just gotta figure out if it can fit through my shop door without tearing the wall down.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. fallrisk

fallrisk Well-Known Member

Almost done

Attached Files:

rafa, The_R1_Kid and Dan Dubeau like this.
  9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Ouch, damn that sucks.

Get the high speed look ahead option if you can on the new one. We've got that on a VF5 at work and it actually makes a word of difference. It's night and day between that, and our vf6/3/2.

The_R1_Kid likes this.
  10. drop

drop Well-Known Member

I love my 15k rpm and my 125ipm for surfing lol. I'll post some pictures of the vacuum chamber I built for a cancer research center as soon as I figure out how to reduce photo size.

The_R1_Kid likes this.
  11. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

IMG_0038.jpg IMG_0040.jpg IMG_0070.jpg

Made this to move the S1000rr immobilizer under the tank so I utilize a toggle switch where the key switch used to reside

The_R1_Kid, fallrisk and rafa like this.
  12. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

What size ball mill are you using?

13. Thistle

Thistle Well-Known Member

My middle lad just picked up an older gen SV650 track bike. The bike had seen several owners and get-offs in its lifetime so featured a lot of bastardized parts - mismatched levers, Attack rearsets on one side and Woodcraft on the other. No big deal, but to resemble some conformity I spun a new footpeg and brake tab to match the one on the opposing side. I don't have a mill yet, but really enjoy making parts on the little Grizzly lathe.
    JP SV650 brake tab and pegs (2).JPG JP SV650 brake tab and pegs (4).JPG JP SV650 brake tab and pegs (6).JPG JP SV650 brake tab and pegs (3).JPG

14. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Great job!

Thistle likes this.
  15. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Funny Injust started that thread about making these. Mine probably wouldn’t be as fancy though, well done sir.

Thistle likes this.
  16. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

17. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Very nice knurling.

Thistle likes this.
  18. The_R1_Kid

1/4 dia destiny viper.
    I'd go bigger for that particular op but I'm limited to a 10 tool tool changer and need the 1/4 for the back side op. My 31 in/min limit is due to the control not having any look ahead. Any faster and the surface is too compromised with machine studdering marks.

19. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Thanks, I have the same machine (3 months old)
    I haven't done any 3D toolpaths yet but got a request yesterday for a project that might require it, I'm looking forward to trying it out
    Nice work BTW

The_R1_Kid likes this.
  20. fallrisk

fallrisk Well-Known Member

Finished the triple and got some new toys in the mail to play with. Harris r1 swinger with endurance setup.

Attached Files: