1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making your own race parts

Discussion in 'General' started by TheGrouchyCat, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

4EFC4615-3FAF-4A8A-8512-2657C4277971.jpeg You can also get just about any material, any size you need from Amazon.

2. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Here's our old Endurance Racer. Two CRRC/CMRA season championships. RBR.jpg

TheGrouchyCat and motoboy like this.
  3. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

I make my own little sleeves to tight fit into my front axle, so I don't have to bother with the annoying long rod that units the fork sliders.

Also install sleeves into my tube handle bar to screw in my brake lever protector, cause the China made ones don't fit at all in the bars.

Do my own captive spacers for my wheels and hubs.

I am not allowed to work on these at work but I manage when I go in on wknds... Shhhh don't tell anyone! Our little secret ! ;)
    BTW: I do use my own materials.

4. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

I wish these were available for my Gilles rear sets. I like em for sure.

thrak410 likes this.
  5. I’ll machine stuff all the time in the tool rooms of our manufacturing plants but I bring all my own material and consumables. Mainly because I don’t want someone raising shit over a corporate “taking stuff”.

6. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

I’ve been a CNC machinist for 10+ years and run the lathe Dept so I have access to everything just never enough time to do anything extra.

5axis and The_R1_Kid like this.
  7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'm working on it. The mating surface is countersunk and indexed every 15º. I figure I can stuff it with a spacer but I'd like a more "professional" solution like, maybe, mill it flat. (I have heard of someone just bolting it straight up to their rearsets but I don't know what brand rearset it was.)
    Have to get one in my hand to see what's best doable. As far as I know, Gilles rearset pegs are interchangeable with all their rearset models. If I can make the SBK peg work on my VCR38GTs, my solution should work for you. Will be digging into it this coming week.
    Here's some good pics...
    Gilles Tooling California SBK Foot Peg Set 2016- Speed Triple 1050

8. fastfreddie

Ahem, anybody wanna make that without the countersunk indexing? :D
    Just look at the last pic in the previous link.

9. fastfreddie

Couldn't get ahold of a sacrificial peg.

10. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

S1000rr rear rotor CNC work
    IMG_0180_1.jpg IMG_0181_1.jpg IMG_0184_1.jpg

11. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Well, not race parts, but a trophy I just finished for a charity fundraiser golf tournament we're putting on for my buddies family. He left behind a wife, 3 year old girl, and a 7month old boy in april and we're hoping we can keep this going for as long as possible, and raise as much money for her and the kids as we can. I'll do my best to get my name on one of those tags come Saturday morning (we've got 128 golfers), but I highly doubt it. I made everything except the screws (even the table lol). Base is 8/4 black cherry that my great uncle milled on his sawmill about 20 years ago. I've got a bunch of it stashed away for special projects. Need to save enough for a machinist chest for myself one day when I get enough time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

badmoon692008, GRH and panthercity like this.
  12. fallrisk

fallrisk Well-Known Member

Big boy toys

Attached Files:

13. Dan Dubeau

Thats cute......:)

14. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

HSK toolholder?
    For what machine?

15. fallrisk

I guess it's a machine

Attached Files:

TheGrouchyCat and Dan Dubeau like this.
  16. Dan Dubeau

OK, now THAT's cool. :)

17. fallrisk

Anyone interested in making some axles or know someone with a lathe?