1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making your own race parts

Discussion in 'General' started by TheGrouchyCat, Oct 3, 2016.

1. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

Two of my favorite parts of the formula SAE team last year were designing and machining parts for the car. I'm not sure if I'll be doing SAE this year, but I'd still like to do my own designs. I'm thinking about making custom rearsets for my r6 and was wondering what other parts I could design for my bike. Also, I have access to a 3D printer which could possibly be useful. Any ideas???
    :)

[​IMG]

Marc16S1000rr likes this.
  2. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

The list is endless if you have fab skills and run a V or SB class

Torn7th likes this.
  3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

WINGS!!!!!!!

4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I have a good friend who owns a tool and die business in Iowa and when I asked him about making rearsets he replied,

"Why - when I can call Woodcraft?"

:D

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

That.

6. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

That's a Bad Ass looking R6 ...:D

VFR#52 likes this.
  7. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Put it on a diet. Lighten up anything you can. Maybe custom triples where you can run offset bushings or things like aluminum engine spacers or axles.

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Pegs...how about a wider peg vs those narrow diameter torture pins that pass as foot rests? I'm familiar with MX/SX/Trials, I think we can agree that footwork is apart of those disciplines, and they all have wider aftermarket pegs available and the rider's appreciate that option. Relying on Woodcraft to think outside the box is what keeps us inside the box. Their rearsets suck. Sloppy toleranced bushings, linkage lash, shift linkages interfering with foot placement close to the frame and resulting knotchy shifts.
    Why are our pegs round tubes? 'Cuz no one's thinking outside the cost box for the benefit a little more money can bring.

What's the radius on the contact surface of an OEM peg? Compared to the usual rearset offerings, it's flat.

VFR#52 likes this.
  9. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Who would want some bear claw foot peg? I never rode dirt but I can't imagine those pivot on pegs like we go road racing.

10. fastfreddie

On an R1. The pivoting part is model specific. Gilles Tooling makes these for a large number of OEM peg replacements but not for their rearsets.
    r1_-_casuperbikepegs.jpg

VFR#52 likes this.
  11. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Make 2 sets when you make them because no one will have interchangeable parts when you crash.

Rich Graver and V5 Racer like this.
  12. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Ooh! Folding! Racey!

What OEM pegs/rearsets are meant to do are very different things than proper race rearsets are meant to do.

There are companies making rearset pegs with more of a platform. Like Graves. I didn't quote the original post and sign off on Woodcraft everything, but rather substitute "Woodcraft" for 'every aftermarket parts supplier".

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why make something that you can buy that is most likely better than you can make and cheaper like rear sets? You're gonna do it, do it big: triple clamps and sano parts.

and why did you post the picture of Capirossi on the Marlboro Ducati?

[​IMG]

14. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Inquiring minds want to know.............:p

15. condon66

condon66 Member well known

16. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Capirex made his own parts too! :confused:

Rob P and 418 like this.
  17. fastfreddie

Panigale 959
    2016-ducati-959-panigale-preview-11.jpg

18. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

Foot anchors

scottn, flyboy, cajun636 and 3 others like this.
  19. fastfreddie

No need to be folding, I guess, but what says a round tube is better than a flat or oval tube? With that kind of thinking, wouldn't our aftermarket levers be straight rods?

20. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Lighter frame?