1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making your own race parts

Discussion in 'General' started by TheGrouchyCat, Oct 3, 2016.

1. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Made spacers to fit wheels on different bike.
    Old are black, new are silver. Both axles in the background.

Attached Files:

2. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

[​IMG]

Not race parts, but I made this HD wheel bearing driver today. They wanted $277 for a hokey ass setup that utilized all-thread.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Nice job, Scott. It's always cool to see people taking on stuff that's not their day job, partly from necessity, but also cuz it's fun!

Scotty87 likes this.
  4. Scotty87

Thanks Kevin! I'm sure it took me 4x as long and with probably 4 more operations than a real machinist could have done it in, but I am proud that it works and looks somewhat okay. I'm struggling with finish quality and proper toolpath, tool selection, etc, etc. Trying to learn.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Got to spend some time playing on the mill yesterday and while not bike racing parts they will be used for racing. Some simple but not so simple to get right pedal faces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boman Forklift and 600 dbl are like this.
  6. Scotty87

Those are fucking killer, Kenny.

7. Venom51

Danka...

Getting back to some things mentioned earlier in this thread. Even with all the computing power and improved CAD/CAM tools what works in a simulation that looks good does not always translate to a good part on the machine.

This was the first run of the Fusion 360 produced G-code. Everything looked great when I simulated it. The machine however did not like something in the tool path and it went south several times before I got working code.

[​IMG]

There were several trips back to the workstation to make adjustments to get a good part off the machine with code that ran without issue. It's not a draw it, Cam it, simulate and machine a good part scenario.

I also forgot to post some stuff I made earlier I think. I never liked where I was mounting the rear shock reservoir on the little Viffer. So have machine...make part. This one was not without issue either.

[​IMG]

This was also my first attempt at using soft jaws for work holding.

[​IMG]

Used a non-bent section of a previously bent Vortex clip-on bar and Bobs you uncle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Venom51

Some times you just got to have a reason to make something. Well done and resourceful.

9. Start of a lever to make a mold for a carbon fiber lever for my kids Pw50. It will be inserted and will fit into a fold up lever base I have. Will also have a ti mesh in it for bit of extra strength (it’s my kid, rather be safe than sorry).

Attached Files:

10. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Is anyone interested in making a couple of parts, one steel and one plastic?

I'm attempting to repair my Barcalounger. :D

11. Venom51

Sure..

Are you prepared to have less than perfect parts on your Barcalounger. :D

12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Sounds like he already has less than perfect parts...

[​IMG]

13. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

To make a long story short, I had to remove a pair of links in the recliner mechanism to weld and reinforce them where they cracked (one of them was broken into 2 pieces). In order to do that, I had to remove 6 pivots by grinding the riveted ends off. I need to replace those pivots with new pieces that are to be welded into place. I also need the wear bushings, which are Delrin or something similar.

Geometrically, both are very simple items.

14. Venom51

I'm happy to do it if you can give me a dimension drawing. Shoot me an email and we can do a Teamviewer session to do the drawings. Depending on the size I may already have some left over Delrin from a project for the wife. Steel I'll have to grab as I don't keep any on hand.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Had the same kind of issue on mine, can't weld and got pissed at the wood around them breaking too so bought a new one :D

16. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Have you checked to make sure you've got the latest post for your machine? Even between the different age Haas we have, I've found the need to use slightly different posts. The older machine (99) for sure needed a tweaked post, as none of the current software worked properly with it.

17. Venom51

I think it was more mechanical in nature as there was no actual error in the code. It was a stall at the start of a G0 rapid move. When I swapped to a feed rate move at half the rapid speed everything ran fine. I'm not working with Haas level equipment yet. This is a home brew conversion that I bought used to learn on. I didn't want to sink too much money into equipment before figuring out if I was going to be able to teach myself how to do it.

18. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Great plan, and I'm guessing probably simplifies your power requirements (or maybe that's a bad assumption). The biggest challenge most people have in starting out with something like a VF-2, is getting 3 phase power for it. Phase converters are an option, but they aren't cheap. Kudos to anybody that takes on the challenge of learning something new, and making their own stuff!

19. Venom51

If I'm not mistaken the TM and Mini Mill series can run on single phase 220 at the expense of some HP loss but I don't need 7+ horsepower to tinker at home. That is one of my feature requirements when looking at machines is the ability to run on single phase power.

The_R1_Kid likes this.
  20. fallrisk

fallrisk Well-Known Member

Rough saturday

Attached Files:

The_R1_Kid likes this.