1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make America Great Again!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Spang308, Mar 6, 2020.

1. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I didn't realize American Racing had changed from the KTM to the Kalex. I just saw the team was the same. My bad.

Regarding KTM, there aren't any listed now because KTM has dropped the Moto 2 class, not because it's a POS lol They announced that last year. Last year KTM was in 2nd, almost won the championship at the end with Binder. So not really a POS, but yes Kalex has been the leader in Moto 2 for many years. Trust me, I follow this sport religiously. But the research I look at are stats and facts, I take one-sided interviews with a grain of salt because they often don't tell the full story. I guarantee you that if you interview the people on Herrin's team from when he was in Moto 2, they would not say the same things Herrin did. So none of us really know the full story.

Oh ok, that makes more sense now. That typo was what confused me :) Yeah it's sad that Americans aren't getting the same support that the Spanish, Italians and others in Europe are getting. Always wondered what things would be like now if guys like Beaubier, Beach and others who raced in Europe when they were kids would've had the chance to stay in race in Europe.

But yeah my point overall was to not take anything away from Joe. All of us who race know that in this sport talent and skill are the most important thing, not the bike. Sure at that high level where everyone is really close in skill, the bike and setup can make a significant difference. But my point is that Joe was at the top of the list because he's obviously fast, and I can't say Herrin would've done the same if he had a better bike and team. Would he have done better than he did? Absolutely! But he wouldn't have gone from basically last to first even if he could've hand-picked whatever bike and team he wanted.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Herrin's "team" folded leaving everyone owed money including Herrin.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    Robby-Bobby likes this.
  3. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Roberts on fucking pole!! Great for him.

j cal, GarrettRick, scottn and 4 others like this.
  4. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Hole Lee Shit. Awesome!!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Pole!! Fuck yeah!! Go Joe!

Senna and t11ravis like this.
  6. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

While there are always three sides to every story, and no doubt Josh's team might have told a different one. That being said, it was pretty common knowledge in the paddock that he wasn't getting the support that Zarco was getting. Just emotional support from the team can make all the difference, nevermind actual technical support. And then sometimes, it's just in the rider's head. Zarco is a great case in point. Yes, the KTM MotoGP project has been a challenge for all who have ridden it. Yet Pol Espargaro consistently out performed Zarco. And the moto2 chassis was a POS, something that all the KTM teams agreed upon, including Binder. He almost won the championship because he's Brad Binder, and he doesn't have a fragile mind like zarco. That doesn't change that the chassis wouldn't turn, and chattered like a mother. KTM pulled out of moto2 primarily to put those resources to MotoGP, they were also doing the math on fixing the moto2 chassis, and the benefits didn't make sense when the bike didn't even use their engine. If you follow the sport as you say you do, then you know that it is passport driven. Americans just aren't considered to be serious opportunities to build a team around, probably mostly because our society doesn't have a passion for motorcycles. I think they probably jump to the conclusion that we couldn't possibly produce a top-level rider, without having the feeder series and support levels that they have in places like Spain. Lastly, how do you account for Joe Roberts suddenly breaking the track record, when he used to struggle to get in the top 15? It's not magic. It's a chassis that works, combined with a team that believes in him, and his diligence to not give up when things were difficult. Going through that crucible likely built his bike control abilities, and we are seeing the benefit for that. I have no idea where he's going to end up in the race. Maybe he'll be back in 20th again. I'm betting top 10 for sure, and wouldn't be surprised at a top five.

sbk1198, Quicktoy and pscook like this.
  7. Really impressive.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Obviously we don't know. It's just my opinion that the year Joe ran the 600 class he was finishing off the box quite often and we know he is good. He was on a R6 which was a good bike. I only bring that up not to diminish him, but to say I believe the top guys in MA, given a few years in Europe with a good team and chassis would be doing well like Joe is doing now.

I had forgotten until now that Joe and Josh were teammates on the Mean Motorsports 600, so I'm off to see the results right now. Here they are from 2015 :

JD Beach won the championship......... Nine 1st or 2nd places
    Josh Herrin came in 2nd ..................... Nine 1st or 2nd places
    Garret Gerloff came in 3rd.................... Six 1st or 2nd places
    Joe Roberts finished in 12th, must have been hurt I can't remember? Two 1st or 2nd places

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That's so freaking awesome!!!!!!! Hope he gets on a Ben Spies roll!

I also hope/wish that some really rich dudes get encouragement from this and back another American or two. I feel like this helps prove we have the talent, just need more opportunites!!!

Sure hope Garrett Gerloff gets to stay for awhile and prove himself.

Senna and Quicktoy like this.
  10. Sum bitch this is awesome. Consistency was good and kept at it.

Boman Forklift and Quicktoy like this.
  11. There is a lot to be said about that. A lot of times it takes one person with either the $ or influence where money is spent, and they run in circles with similar status people and it grows. A fair amount of the BSB $ is like that. Either executives of companies in totally different fields or buddy rich folks, well and / or maybe a combo of the two. These are also some of the reasons series like MA say stuff to teams about their pits etc. even one of these people walking by can make the difference. Most of the people that have the kind of power to toss enough money at the sport to make an impact are pretty unassuming and they often do that to feel “normal” as well as want to see how people act “when no one is watching”.

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Joe was supernaturally fast when he raced here. I do wonder when he split from Keith Code. I met both of them at Daytona one year. JR was just a kid really, cool cat. Keith was... odd. Maybe it's that California thing I dunno.

Hopkins coaching seems to be paying off. Might be able to give JR some experience on what not to do in the business as well.

sbk1198 and Newyork like this.
  13. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

New bike, new coach and another year of experience over there = ‘Merica fer the win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senna likes this.
  14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Dude is only 22. Need to move some of those old farts out of MotoGP for these youngsters :flag:

eggfooyoung and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  15. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

No good seats available for 2 years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

They got it working in the last third of the season. It took five or seven chassis, I forget, but they got it working. Just look how Binder finished the year. But they pulled the plug a smidge too early. Kind of like Lorenzo with Ducati. They had a decision to make, and I certainly can understand not wanting to risk another awful year. But that thing was working at the end of the year.

Disclaimer: there were different versions of the chassis on the grid. I'm not saying things were working for everyone. But KTM had the capacity to put a winning bike on the grid.
    Not even close. I would've been shocked if I had opened the thread and it was about anything else. Of course, it helps that I follow the smaller classes, unlike most of you heathens.
    Holy shit, this thread was about practice?! He wasn't on pole yet when it was started? :crackup:

:offtopic:
    I was on the phone with a team manager this afternoon catching up about a bunch of things, including the team's trip to Philip Island. I asked him if he had had an opportunity to observe Garrett Gerloff and what his thoughts were. He is completely charmed. To say that Gerloff made a good impression on him would be the understatement of the year. And that's not even accounting for his performance on the racetrack, which he was very impressed with. His only worry is that GRT will never be allowed to compete with Pata. There is someone that I will not name who can make sure they can't open the electronics package. Within a few around, GG and Caricasulo will be racing with one hand tied behind their backs. Anyway, long story short, there's another American out there representin'.

stk0308, TurboBlew, scottn and 2 others like this.
  17. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

This is a great way for him to kick the season off. Confidence through the roof right now for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

i like the smugness in his dorna photo
    Screenshot (42).png

19. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

It’s that Scientology thing.

20. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I'm not just waving the flag for Joe. I'm not saying he's the best we've sent over there since Nicky. I'm really just pointing out that American riders are at a disadvantage, and are often trying to perform with one (or both)hands tied behind their back. And then the worst part, is the 'general' public all point and say "see, Americans are slow". Doesn't matter if it's CEV, WSBK, or MotoGP. As for the Herrin debacle, I believe there was an interview with the team principle, defending their lack of support for JH, as it 'wouldn't have made a difference'. Ask ANY of the guys who have gone over there what it was like. Remember when Roger Hayden was on the Pedercini Kaw (I think) in WSBK? While he might not been as fast as the top WSBK guys of the time, he sure as hell was faster than 15th. I just have to shake my head when people make statements questioning the reality, and just putting it on our riders not being up to snuff. If we can't even support our own riders, how in the hell can we expect for the world stage to respect them? THIS is why our sport is dying. The people on the Beeb are actually enthusiasts, and even THEY can't support our riders!