1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living abroad

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jun 29, 2017.

1. I know some people on here travel a lot and some have spent a lot of time or moved outside the US. I plan on getting out of the US at some point in the near future and am looking for some ideas on where to go.

These are the things I'm interested in.

• Low (or no taxes). Which may depend on how many days you spend in country.
    • Non disclosure between their banks and US banks. In other words, they don't/won't allow the US to access your finances, even for informational purposes.
    • Relatively easy to be able to rent/buy a house and car (which may require citizenship).
    • Good weather.
    • Low(er) cost of living.
    • Relatively modern. Doesn't have to be like New York or some shit, but I want to have internet, most of the roads paved, etc.
    • English doesn't have to be (and probably won't be) the primary language, but I want to be able to "get by" speaking English till I can learn the native language.
    • Relatively safe for Expats (or at least have places that are safe).

All of that means I am (probably) looking at Southeast Asia or South America. New Zealand is ok, I like it there...but it isn't much cheaper than the US.

As of right now, I am considering Belize (top of the list right now), Costa Rica, Thailand, possibly Philippines (but taxes are going up there, and they have good agreements with US), Ecuador, Peru, Chili, Vitoria (city in Brazil, I've spent a lot of time there), or maybe Guatemala.

Anyone have any input/experience with those places? Or know of some other places I should consider?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  2. Oh, and Spain is a consideration also. But I believe in order to be tax free in Spain you have to spend 180 days out of the country. I don't want to have to stress about that every year.

3. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

4. They are all great, pleaee pick one and move- like now :)
    Also think of healthcare, not just cost but level of service.
    I think you will have a hard time having a place to live as synetrical as you want though.

5. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

I hear Venezuela is nice this time of year.

Phl218 likes this.
  6. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Livengood going with you?

Are you going to have a garage sale before you leave?

flygirl likes this.
  7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Most of those places have a limit on the number of OCD people they will admit. :D

notbostrom likes this.
  8. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Forget about this aspect. The crackdown + limited period of amnesty to come clean on taxes several years ago ended the IOM/Cayman Islands/Gurnsey/Switzerland tax haven concept.

Cheers,

Dave

9. Meh. I've gotten extremely good healthcare services in many places all over the world. There are quacks everywhere, and good places/doctors everywhere. One of the best doctors I've ever met was in Accra, Ghana (West Africa).

Of course it is something to consider, but it won't be hard to find. People have been living in all of those places, perfectly fine, for a long time.

I've spent half my life traveling the globe. I've spent time in a lot of places I could "see myself" living in.

Some people in the US have this idea that everything is good/nice in the US, and subpar everywhere else. That couldn't be further from the truth.

gy999r, SuddenBraking, pscook and 3 others like this.
  10. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

As you were listing i kept saying Spain...spain...spain...

only unknown for me was the tax information.

But southern Spain, living outside a major city is pretty cheap. and nice weather....

Gorilla George likes this.
  11. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Dibs on the Macan!

12. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

13. It's not necessary about amnesty or finding a "tax haven". I am not going to be living in the US. But some places, if you are a US citizen, the US wants you to pay US taxes (even though you aren't living in the US), but that doesn't apply to some places.

Some places are former British colonies and will not disclose your finances to the US under any circumstances, but some will.

Some places have their own (high) tax rates.

Hence me doing this research.

It isn't about trying to "escape" anything, it is about not wanting to move to another country only to still have to pay 33% to the US...even though I don't live there.

14. Possibly, depends on the racing scene. :D

Yes - I will sell everything.

Rising likes this.
  15. Yeah, one of the guys that works for me is from the U.K. but moved to Spain. He said the cost of living is good (outside major cities), there is a great golf scene, and the weather is awesome.

16. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

In order not to pay US income tax you have to be out of country for 330 days and then it's only tax free up to the first 103K or so(it adjusts every year.) My dad spends most of his time in Thailand but the Philippines are pretty easy also. He'll live pretty damn comfortable for $300/mth. Any thing above $500/mth is big ballin around the locals.

You can be in any country or combination of countries , for any reason those 330 days, this includes travel time over a foreign country and can get pretty confusing so I always tell people stay in a foreign country for 332 days and there is no question.

Also this is not for a calendar year but for a 12 month period. If you land in Spain on July 1 2017 you can use 7/1/17 - 6/30/18 as your 12 month period.

BigBird likes this.
  17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Thailand. I could easily (and might someday) live on Ko Samui.

Possibly Spain or Portugal. I haven't checked into the temps in the winter, but it may be too cold. I consider San Diego to be too cold for 5 months out of the year.

I would personally not live in central or south america. Ive been all over and love visiting, but just don't dig predominantly Catholic countries. Trash, graffiti, petty crime, etc.

I could live in a beach town in Cuba, too. Just awesome. Can't beat the weather. Good infrastructure.

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

and maybe you can see a MotoGP race live, since there are like 3 there.

This is a big step...good luck on whatever country you decide on, or if you stay. Is your wife as open to any country option as you are, or does she have a few no-go places?

19. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

How are you gonna race?