1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Central/South American Retirement Options - opinions wanted

Discussion in 'General' started by younglion, Jan 2, 2017.

1. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Still 8-10 years away yet but wifey and I are starting our initial search on possible warmer climate retirement locations and so far, most everything that appeals to us is in either Central or South America. The plan would be to liquidate our lives here in Canada and possibly Snowbird it - 6 months here, 6 months down south, or just go all in and move there full time. We'd complete a comprehensive Spanish language program to increase our fluency but otherwise just sell all our crap and GTFO.

We've Googled Top 10 lists, but like most people we prefer first hand feedback.

So.... anyone spend any amount of time in :

#1 - Panama - universally rated top 3 location based on almost all factors.
    #2 - Equador
    #3 - Costa Rica
    #4 - Mexico (technically N.American but lets not split hairs)
    #5 - Nicaragua/Colombia

Our research says we can live:

- comfortably but not posh for $1500-1800/mo rent included
    - VERY comfortably involving more travel, more dining out, and more activities like motorcycling or golfing for $2200-$2500/mo.

We'll be 50-55 at most when we make the move, so I want to make sure we fall into the second category of VERY comfortably - and for at least 20 years assuming we don't get Escobar'd down there (wife watched one episode of Narco's and wanted to call off this plan).

Anyone live or travel to these locations and have any solid advice?

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Venezuela...82 degrees (F) every damn day. Beautiful, right on the gulf coast. Things are Real cheap there right now, actually, if you any money at all you probably should spend it on body guards....but that's another thing.:Poke:

3. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

What about health care?

4. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Healthcare in those countries is very affordable compared to here and many people travel to similar places for treatment instead of getting it in the USA... aka medical tourism

5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

That was my thought as well when I briefly considered leaving the country after retirement.

6. gpstar748

Personally, I'd recommend Southeast Asia.

Much safer and overall, a bit cheaper, from my research.

Bobby Kim used to race and retired down to Costa Rica. He loves it but said it's not as cheap as you'd think.

7. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

The largest expat population outside of the US and Canada is in the Lake Chapala/Ajiic of Zapopan Mexico located about an hour south of Guadalajara. I lived in Guadalajara for about 5 years and the medical care is outstanding.

I would not recommend Costa Rica as it is getting too expensive however I have heard that Nicaragua is becoming the go to spot for retirement over CR.

8. speedluvn

And the quality of the health care is another consideration.

9. gpstar748

Quality is generally very high depending on where you are...

10. speedluvn

In general, or specifically South America or Asia?

11. gpstar748

Meaning healthcare can be good or "bad" no matter what country you're in...depends where you live.
    I've been in areas in both continents where I wouldn't want to be treated for a rash much less something worse...and I've also seen nicer hospitals than I have right down the road from me where I live in PA

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I wouldn't consider central America. SE Asia is where its at. Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, Vietnam are all wonderful and very affordable.

13. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

The two locations that consistently pop up on Ten Best lists are Malaysia and Thailand - we haven't 100% ruled them out however it would be a long shot.

2 main issues are the language barrier - Spanish will be a small step for us, Thai or Malay - practically impossible for my wife especially who struggles with learning other languages. Second issue is just how far it is from where our kids and remaining friends/family would be. Not exactly a cheap or easy travel plan to get there or back.

On the plus side, we LOVE the cuisine, have heard so much positive stuff about both areas, and it's way up there on the affordability scale.

For now we're concentrating on the countries listed but we're going to take a trip to one or both of the Asian countries mentioned as a holiday/scout mission as well in the next couple years to satisfy our curiosity and who knows, we might just fall in love with the place.

14. gpstar748

I'm starting a moto tour company in Northern Thailand this fall...come ride with us around Chiang Mai! You'll never wanna go home!

15. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Lots of options. Don't do Costa rica. Mexico is nice and friendly. Just spent 2 months there. Northern Peru as well. SE Asia is great as well as Indo. I spent a year on a cool island in the South Pacific called Saipan. Its a US commonwealth. I was paying 400 a month for a fully furnished apartment with an infinity pool overlooking the ocean. It's nuts in the USA how much people pay to retire

16. Mexico or Asia, as the rest said above. I know people retired in both and both are happy. You can get a happy ending in both places as well.

hotnail likes this.
  17. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

My wife and I are looking at Belize, which does NOT tax retirement income. Wife's daughter lives in Scotland, so we had thought of retiring there, but after the US taxes my retirement, the Scots would too, leaving me with very little. One of the surgeons I worked with has retired down there. We're planning on taking a trip there either this Spring or Fall, and checking it out. Lots of Ex-pats there, so that should hopefully ease the culture-shock a bit.

18. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Seemed to be a lot of happy expats in Tulum.

19. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I was just in Costa Rica a few months ago. It is a great place but not as cheap as I thought it would be. They also are severely lacking in infrastructure but maybe that is part of the charm. I'm looking forward to going back, but I probably wouldn't retire there.

There are 3 of us that work very closely together at my work. One of the guy's Dad retired to Belize a few years ago. He sold the family business in Michigan and retired down there. He was able to live a much higher lifestyle than he could in the US. Then he was murdered in his home. When my coworker went down there to take care of everything he met with the police. They told him that they knew who did it and for $100 they would kill the guy. Then they said for $500 they would let my coworker kill the guy. He couldn't get out of there fast enough.

20. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Holy Shite! Maybe the whole Belize thing needs a re-look. Thanks for sharing. Although to be honest, any country other than US/UK/Canada has problems like that. But thanks for letting me know.