1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living abroad

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Yeah, I knew about the 330 days (I think at one point it was 300 days); and that is what pisses me off.

Somebody could spend an entire 365 days out of the US, but they are only tax free for the first 100k ish, but have to pay 33-39% taxes on the rest of it.

.....even though they never set foot in the damn country.

That is such bullshit.

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

So just change your citizenship. No biggie.

3. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

If you have a foreign employer it makes it much easier as they do not report to american wages. If you start working for a <none your damn business) division located somewhere else or a local subcontractor you could skirt the whole us tax reporting altogether and report what you actually made compared to your time in America.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2017
    Gorilla George likes this.
  4. Thanks. :)

She is open to anywhere. As long as we are together, she doesn't care.

She is originally from the Philippines, but she has lived in the UK, South Africa, and Dubai. When we met she was living on Redondo Beach in LA. So she is also used to traveling and being different places. She said wherever I want to go is fine with her. She is easy going.

BigBird likes this.
  5. That's the plan. :)

You can get a citizenship in Belize as long as you have 4 Passport photos and $2000.

G2G and BigBird like this.
  6. BigBird

BigBird blah

Damn. That's a keeper.

So about that R6? :D

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Will you be needing hired help?
    Start with a home chef. You won't regret it.
    And maybe a gentleman's gentleman.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Nope. I don't think you would have a right to secrecy from the US in any European Union country.

With that said, Portugal has an accelerated path to permanent residency (and/or citizenship, can't remember for sure) and lower taxes if you buy a real estate of a certain value (right now I'm remembering €300,000, but I could be wrong). Life there is also comparatively cheaper than most of Western Europe. And there are some pretty nice places.

BigBird and Gorilla George like this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Does the spousal unit get a say or did I miss the breakup thread?

Never mind, I hadn't read the second page yet.

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I have been in the South of France the last few days and just flew to Barcelona this AM... I have decided Catalunya is my new home.... This place just kicks ass... I feel like a New Yorker moving to Atlanta Times 10,00000.00

GrayGhost, Gorilla George and Phl218 like this.
  11. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

If you want to live like a broad, Cretu says Thaïland is a good place to start :D

borislav, badmoon692008 and Phl218 like this.
  12. Haha, it will be up for sale soon. Livengood is refreshing the motor right now so it will be new for whoever buys it.

Once he is done, it will be for sale as is (I'm not going to remove the Marchesinis or anything from it).

BigBird likes this.
  13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Thailand.

Dudes I knew that were trying for the 330 were hiding out in Thailand, Philippines and/or Vietnam. They were also all single and f@cked everything that moved, moved slow or didn't move at all. I'd avoid all three if you are tempted to stray even a little bit.

14. BarryG

BarryG Well-Known Member

I think you'll find New Zealand REALLY expensive, even with the current exchange rate. I visit my family every year, and notice (and they confirm) that the cost of living seems very high. I think when I retire I'll likely spend more time there, but just travelling around in a small camper. That can be affordable. Not sure how that's going to coincide with the requirements or expectations of swmbo, mind you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. keevo54

keevo54 Well-Known Member

My dads based out of Panama and his buddy is in Thailand. They both enjoy it and say the cost of living is nominal

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

17. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Dibs on the Duc.

Seriously.

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Got a buddy who is plenty happy in Latvia. Ticks all those boxes except winter lol.

19. Haha, yeah...that's a pretty big box though. :D

I've been too many places where it never gets outside of 65-85 deg all year, and the weather is awesome.

Hell I think Aruba only averages 1.5" of rain a year. I love it there. But every single thing is imported, they don't produce anything. So the cost of living is high.

Not gonna move somewhere that i have to deal with snow and ice.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Anyone else picturing Broome hiring someone full-time to tune his machete because he just has to open his coconuts faster than the local boys?