1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living abroad

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jun 29, 2017.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Especially if there is a big black market for slightly used face shields

TLR67 and Gorilla George like this.
  2. My company is based overseas, so it doesn't matter where I work. If I'm residential, then they pay for all expenses. If I'm rotational, then they pay for travel to/from work.

As far as the logistics, I haven't found any place that is difficult, and there are guys working for my company that live in most of the places mentioned. The worst thing might be having to drive an hour to the airport or something like that, but none of the places are a logistical nightmare.

You should see some of the remote places they put drilling rigs, and they don't have problems getting people to/from there.

3. :beer:

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Good luck to you Chris in whatever place you and your Sweetie decide to hang your hats. The search may be long and tedious but we all know you have enough bottled water to stay properly hydrated. Please consider a place where the government has some stability. Rock on Brother. :beer:

BigBird and Gorilla George like this.
  5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I keep thinking that unless yo can do the 330 and be okay living outside of the US why bother.

Yeah taxes but you're going to have to have a GREAT accountant who can do the taxes and forms. As you know there are hoops to jump through and there is no way to hide your income from IRS inc.

Shit, I'd just deal with living in Texas and pay the IRS. But that's me.

6. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

As is Coimbra (and Guimaeres, and...you get the picture). Great place.

7. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Why limit yourself to just one place? Set up citizenship with a summer home in Andorra or the Isle of Man for taxes and spend your winters in Spain or someplace else.

8. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Downhill World Cup is in Andorra as we speak this weekend, and one of my favorite riders is from there. That place looks unreal awesome (if you're a scenery/mountain/forest type).

9. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

It's home to quite a few current and former MotoGP/WSBK riders. Marquez was going to move there but changed plans after receiving backlash from those in Spain.

10. My wife was born and raised in the Philippines. She would have no problem "rolling the dice" and moving to "a place like that".

Sounds to me like you need to stay off the damn internet. You can't take something you hear/read from one source or about one town and apply it to an entire country. There are good and bad places everywhere.

Imagine if foreigners read certain headlines from any given day from Chicago, Detroit, Memphis, Miami, Houston, Atlanta, LA, etc and then used your reasoning and applied it to the entire country.

wiggeywackyo and 418 like this.
  11. Malaysia is on the short list. I've spent a good bit of time in Kuala Lumpur and Miri (and a few weeks in Labuan). I love Malaysia. The people are really nice and the weather is awesome. My company already has an office in KL.

12. Thanks Dan. :beer:

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Ain't no WERA in Malaysia so what 'cha gonna do about racing.

Some of the spammers that came here in the past would have you believe that WERA was running there or at least wanted to start a affiliate there. Vietnam also. :D

14. I mentioned taxes, but that isn't the primary reason. It isn't even in the top few reasons. It is just something to consider.

I love tropical areas, I like the idea of being relatively secluded, i love the adventure of being new places and seeing new shit, I like to travel, and I like the idea of a lower cost of living without 40+% of my paycheck being taken every month.

I've spent more of my life outside the US than in it. I spent almost a year living in an apartment in Singapore one time. As I said, the same goes for my wife. So for us, this isn't some huge step or really big deal.

Some people don't realize how much BS there is in the US because it is all they know. I really can't get into most of it outside the Dungeon, but I've found other areas to have much nicer people, better weather, lower cost of living, lower (to no) taxes, and much less everyday tension, drama and bullshit.

AJ and wiggeywackyo like this.
  15. That is an option, but it's the 3rd option. I would like to have a single place to call "home". With a golf course nearby, vehicle, etc.

16. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

There has to be some country out there that built an F1 track and never used it that you could buy for 3 dollars. Build a house in the pit area and then rig the local Grom championship.

Basically a motorcycle version of that movie "The Dictator"

17. Now we are getting somewhere.

Maybe I could put gokart races on it and pay the winner $150.

tiggen, auminer and Robin172 like this.
  18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I keep thinking too bad Lebanon is such a f@ckin' mess. It has most everything I'd want but right now, it also has a lot of the shit I don't.

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Interesting.... I found KL and Singapore nice (Singapore is *really* nice), but to me, they are both relatively devoid of an interesting undercurrent. KL is predominantly Muslim, as you know, so that tones things way down. I find them both nice places to visit for 48 hours, but then I'm off to find someplace with some more interesting culture.

wiggeywackyo likes this.
  20. The 330 days thing wouldn't be hard to do, but I would also have to pay attention to the laws in the other countries. For example, if you spend more than 180 days in Spain you have to pay taxes there.

So if I'm not careful, I could end up having a tax liability to 2 different countries.