1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living abroad

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

<Broome dressed in a purple velvet running suit with a pimp cup in one hand and gold plated Nike high tops on his feet> "Where is the Broome's junk scratcher?!?! My junk is itchy!!! What do you want me to do? Scratch it myself? <claps hands> "Donger, scratch the Broome's weiner, it itches!"

2. wac

wac Well-Known Member

Spain .

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I can see him buying all the coconuts...and having a local Livengood open them for him.

dtalbott likes this.
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Why do the coconut horse hooves from The Holy Grail come to mind about now?

5. One of the guys out here mentioned Portugal also. I don't know exactly where he lives, but he said it was very nice.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Because he's looking to migrate?

Are you fixin' to grip him by the husk? ;)

7. :crackup:

One of the guys I play golf with in Ghana is actually West Africa's largest suppliers of machetes. :D

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Odds are even he doesn't have a clue what we are talking about.

pickled egg and vfrket like this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sounds kinda homophobic.

SirCrashAlot likes this.
  10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I cannot believe that Broome is so upset about the new Ducati having mismatched headlights (and Mongo making a Suzuka style light sticker rule) that he's going to quit racing and move to another country!

badmoon692008 and Gorilla George like this.
  11. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

It
    It is. I've been a couple times and going again in Sept for 2 weeks. The southwest tip is one of my favorite places I've ever been.

kangasj and Gorilla George like this.
  12. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

But just the tip. Just for a second. Just to see how it feels. :D

13. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

PDC, Mexico is my spot...unless I find something better.

14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Portugal is amazing. Lisbon and Porto are both incredible. Super cheap, too. Portimao is very close to Lisbon.

15. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Costa Rica is NOT cheap my man. i mean its CHEAPER than Washington DC or LA that's for sure, but its not like Thailand cheap. gas is expensive, food (if you go out) is the same you'd pay here. houses on the beach are the price of a townhouse around here, a tad cheaper... but its like $200-300k, not like $40k. maybe cheaper if you went to literally a nowhere part, but anything close to the action, even in smaller surf towns, is not cheap cheap. granted, you're on the damn beach for that price, but still. we looked at a few plots for sale near Arenal, but i have no idea what kind of bribes and permits and fees you'd have to pay to get something built there as an expat.

i've been hearing from some travelling buddies that Nicaragua is what Costa Rica was like 10-15 years ago, and barring any big unrest there, you could get in now for cheap and its on the come up. i feel sketchy about ever planting a large sum of money in a place where there could be a military coup or a nationalization of your bank account or land. i'm not saying that's Costa Rica, but its definitely still some of Central/South America, and some of SE Asia's not looking too hot either. if you wanna bum around and rent a place forever and keep a foreign bank account in Canary/Ireland/Swiss/Cayman/HK... i wouldn't worry quite as much.

16. I've thought about that also. Between me and the wife, we have enough good contacts in enough countries that we could easily do that. But it's the 3rd option.

Once the oilfield picks back up a little, I'm going to push for a residential job in Accra, Dubai, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, or Rio.

The wife works for the same company (HR). So if we can get residential jobs, that would be perfect. The company pays for everything (house, utilities, vehicles/drivers, phones, food, taxes, every single thing except golf and alcohol).

If we do that (after selling everything in the US), then we could save all of her paycheck and 99% of mine. We could do that for 5 years and then retire completely.

That's the first option.

Second option would be to move and rent/buy a place of our own. Third option would be to have an offshore account, then just bounce around the world living in different countries depending on weather.

BigBird likes this.
  17. You realize they do race in other countries, right? :D

BC likes this.
  18. When it comes to other countries, I tend to do a lot of research, talk to a lot of people that have "real world" experience there, etc.

I don't put much weight in 1-off stories people have, or headlines. Media (and people) only report and remember the fantastic, sensationalized, dramatic shit.

You will never see a headline that reads "man woke up, drank coffee on back deck, jumped from his deck directly into the clear ocean and swam, ate lunch, then played 27 holes of golf".

There are tens of thousands of burglaries, assaults, drug deals, murders, gun shot victims, etc every single day in the US. If someone from another country only went by what is on the news, in the papers, or internet, they would think the US is full of nothing but ruthless savages.

I try to keep that perspective in mind when doing research on other countries.

AJ and wsmc 589 like this.
  19. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Book the time off between tours at a different spot each time and see what fits you.