1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lawn mowers: Honda vs Toro

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Apr 27, 2016.

1. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Snapper ninja recycler.
    http://www.snapper.com/us/en/push-mower/ninja
    This kind of equipment is how I make my living. I have seen, used, and beat up on almost all the mowers on the market. Toro is ok, but unless you are buying a high end one they are no better then a box store cheapie. Honda is over rated for the most part. Craftsman is garbage. It is made by AYP (American Yard Products) and is the lowest of low quality. Snapper is still built in the US, and the decks are all heavy gauge steel. Parts availability is good, and they use Briggs engines. I am partial to Kohler, but with a Briggs you can get parts or service at every small engine shop in the world. If you plan on mulching, make sure that you don't let your yard get longer then about half to 1 inch cuts. Trying to mulch long grass will only lead to you not being happy at all. Also, keep your blade sharp and balanced.

2. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

:DIf you need a push mower, that means you havent used enough roundup around the trees and other obstacles. I havent started my push mower in 3 years.:D

Attached Files:

3. backcountryme

Where did you get your Lawnboy?

4. backcountryme

Ferris, now that is a quality mower. IS700 61"? Where is your ROPS?

zertrider likes this.
  5. zertrider

Still thinking it needs some Ohlins though.

BigBird and backcountryme like this.
  6. backcountryme

John Deere never made their own push mowers, they were Snappers painted green for MANY years.

7. zertrider

ROPs gets in the way with a few trees, so it is in the shed. And its a IS500. 27hp briggs.

8. backcountryme

Ahh, the IS500 has been replaced by either the 600 or 700 depending on deck size. The unit you have was my top selling Ferris for years. I sold at least 150 a year to my dealers in Alberta. Great machine. I helped a dealer put a Kohler 29hp EFI engine in one of those recently. That is a monster of a machine.

9. zertrider

Yo
    your recommendation was one of the reasons I went with it. Been a good unit so far.

backcountryme likes this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Which one offers contingency?

11. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Can I put a Vortex sticker on it?

Phl218 likes this.
  12. ow01

ow01 Well-Known Member

Pictures are a problem here with everyone else streaming their reality shows. I just cable tied the yellow button on the blade control and then keep the blade engaged all the time with a bungee cord. This way I only engage the clutch to move forward and it cuts all the time. I was leaving un-cut areas when turning and backing up.

13. iceman017

iceman017 alive and kicking

I've had my HR215 hx for 20 years now. 3 saltwater hurricane floods (it submersed each time) and nothing but oil changes, blades, airfilters. Still going strong to this day, albeit I neglected to service the hydrostatic unit and I think it's about to give up... rest of the mower is still basically good, just worn. Starts on first pull. If I can stretch it to 25 years I might buy another one...

14. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

I bought a Toro Recycler from HD last year at the beginning of spring and it is a great machine. Kohler powered, starts on the first pull (except when I brought it out of storage this year and dumped fresh gas in it, it took 2 pulls to suck some fuel into the system), the bagger system works pretty good and it mulches like no tomorrow compared to my old Husqvarna bagger. I like the warranty, 3 years guaranteed to start by the 2nd pull or Toro will send someone to come fix it. $100 difference between this and a Honda...that's a sprint race :)

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Sorry dude but John Deere always manufactured their own mowers. My dad was a John Deere dealer for thirty some years. I also worked for Deere & Company for 15 years. They recently (2012) discontinued their push mower and snowblower lines and the dealers are now carrying Hondas.
    I can get you in touch with Deeres national consumer products marketing manager if you would like. :D

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I have no idea what brand of mower Hose A or Hose B own.

17. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Get a mulching blade if you want it to mulch decent, high lift blades don't mulch well and are different, oh and make sure its sharp because mulching requires this as there are nothing holding the blades to say for a clean cut, its just hitting the shit in under the deck, dull blades just wack it out of the way, sharp ones will slice it.

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

everything needs Ohlins :D

19. Woodsrider

Woodsrider Well-Known Member

Melka
    does your lawnmower have Michelins on it?

BigBird likes this.
  20. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I have a ferris 600z for sale if you're interested .6 hrs on the hourmeter, private sale (no tax) Pm if you want.