1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lawn mowers: Honda vs Toro

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Good point. The sales guy asked what fuel I used. I said I buy non ethanol from the local co-op.

2. 3twins

3twins Well-Known Member

+3 on the Stihl. I have the combi with a trimmer and blower. Need to pick up an edger though. It/stihl had a carb issue a couple years back (design defect), but new carbs are cheap.

Also use a Craftsman push mower. It gets the job done but when the grass is thick (bluegrass & fescue) it protests a little bit and the mulch clumps. More if i let get too long. A little more blade speed might help, but I think the mower is more for people that don't care about their lawn.

3. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Run a little MR12 through it?

4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

They don't run worth a shit with oxygenated fuel. I tried U2 premix that was mixed up for my mx bike in a trimmer once and it was so lean it would only barely run with fill choke...

5. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Went and bought a Stihl trimmer and saw blade for it. Damn, these things aren't cheap.

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yea but it will last longer than any other brand.

7. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

That, I have no doubt. Using it briefly today was eye-opening. Even though the Troy-Bilt was free, looking back it wasn't worth the trouble. The ease of starting, power, bump-feed that actually worked, was worth it.

8. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Sthil is good stuff, but I will take my Tanaka over it any day. They have a 7 year warranty for a reason.

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I've never heard of Tanaka, must be good stuff with a 7 year warranty.
    Stihl will double their warranty on most items by selling you a 6 pack of their 2 stroke oil.

Riders Discount likes this.
  10. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

I have nothing but good things to say about Stihl products, and the local guy is great to work with. Blowers, trimmers, saws all have served me very well.

Wish Stihl made a mower, as the Husqvarna mower I've had is nothing but a pain. Shaft to blade broke/sheared on the second mow, had major problem returning (almost the entire world is less stubborn than me, and would have given up). Cuts okay, but after one season the control for the propulsion broke (plastic) and cost $100.00 to repair. Oh, and when you use the bagger, it drags on the ground which would wear a hole if I regularly bagged. Not exactly what I had hoped for when I laid out $500.00 on a mower.

Next time I buy a mower (which may be soon), I am going to get the same mower that the guy who feeds his family by mowing uses.

11. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

12. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised JD didn't make it. They didn't make their compact tractors for the longest time either, yanmar did. I owned an yanmar ex3200 and did some searching and sure as shit its identical to the jd 790 or some model I cant think of at this point in time.

backcountryme likes this.
  13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It only makes since for them to use a rebranded third party product to quickly fill a hole in their product line. That is far cheaper than tooling up a production line. Certainly on portions of the product line with thin profit margins.

backcountryme likes this.
  14. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Didn't JD make Scotts riders awile back as their budget line? I had one. Damn indestructible.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think so - before that Murray made the Scotts stuff.

16. backcountryme

Best advice I can give to ANYONE looking for OPE equipment is find a local dealer and build a relationship. Be loyal to them with all your equipment and parts needs. A good dealer will treat you like family. Never buy from a box store. The brand of equipment is less important then the quality of the shop. I deal with over 300 dealers in western Canada, some are better then others, but all are better then a box store.

17. backcountryme

Tanaka is made in Japan. They also are the ones that make the top end chainsaw for Husqvarna (can't remember the model number). That thing will turn 14000 rpm.

Razr likes this.
  18. 3twins

3twins Well-Known Member

I wanna be the first guy on my block with a NOS bottle on his mower.

19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I looked, their prices aren't a lot more than a Stihl. There is a dealer fairly close to me.

20. backcountryme

Cool. Check them out. Their straight shaft trimmers all use a splined steel driveshaft (many others use a flex driveshaft like the curved shaft trimmers) and have a lifetime warranty on the shaft. I am the distributor for Tanaka in western Canada and have never had to replace a driveshaft on a tanaka trimmer.