1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Las Vegas shooting

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Metalhead, Oct 2, 2017.

1. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

I'm sorry, I don't think I understand.

Are you saying a society based on Christian morals/ethics is essentially the same as a society run by sharia law?

Futhermore, are you saying sharia law poses no threat to society at large? Including any subset of that society, ie women or homosexuals or non-muslims?

Just want to clarify...

2. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

A Case (24) Orpheus Brewing Company, Transmigration of Souls...and One (1) box ea of .44mag and .45colt Cowboy loads....
    that will cover 2+hrs of TIG Welding Lessons...Machine, Wire, Scrap...and plenty of Welding Theory and BullShit....LOL

XFBO and Metalhead like this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

When it comes to allowing religion to influence/dictate the local secular laws it doesn't matter what the religion is....

And Christianity absolutely has dictated many many laws here in the US.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I guess that's why you have customers that require you to be a law-abiding citizen...can't make a living on beer and bullets, but I'm in. When's the first seminar? :D

Britt likes this.
  5. tiggen

Ok, he thinks no religion should influence law?

If so, wouldn't sharia law be considered a threat, because it is based on a religious belief system?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's kind of his point....

7. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

My question is - do all the numbers add up?

1. Lets say an average of 10 minutes firing @120 rounds per minute is roughly 1,200 rounds / 40 loaded magazines. Is that amount of bullets that can cause 50+ dead, and 500+ injured? I wonder how they define an injury, and how many of them were caused by panic. In the military terms it takes 50,000 - 200,000+ rounds per kill. I know active war and shooting at civilians in a very large group is apples and oranges.

2. Did I read this right in the news - The guy was firing for 9-11 minutes before SWAT team kicked the door open and he offed himself. Is that realistic? I mean is that enough time to figure out: A. what was going on B. where it was coming from C. get people in place D. execute the operation?

3. How effective is a 5.56 round at 400 + feet? Is it closer to the max of its effective range?

Few other things - why this asshole didn't barricade the shit out of the door? Whats the point of having 10+ or whatever guns in a room, I would imagine 2-3 would be plenty for backup?

I am not an expert on any of this, was just bored this afternoon. And the fact that this guy is a coward and a human piece of shit goes without being said.

8. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

sharia law being a threat to american society? no it absolutely is not. not when muslims comprise less than 1% of the population and seem to hold zero high elected offices, as well as our general democratic process and constitution. which also does not even take into context the fact that only the strictest of hardliner sunni muslims want to even consider that shit anywhere and talking to most shia muslims i know you'd be laughed at by even suggesting it. no... no i do not see it as a threat. living your life however you see fit in the context of your own micro-community or family is done by plenty of sects of people all over this country already and still does in no way supersede, nor can they ignore, the laws of our country's judicial system. between you and me, orthodox jews and evangelical christians are equally as nuts, and neither of them get to ignore our country's laws by replacing them with whatever horseshit they drum up. its no different, if only in that there's less muslims than there are jews and by far, christians, to begin with. long story short, i don't believe it does to society at large in the context of america any more than being gay with super duper christian parents does or being a woman with a super duper orthodox jewish husband would. the fear is irrational. how many muslim people do you even know? cause the stat is about 1 out of every 101 people you know.

as far as the first part... i'm saying it COULD be, when you start making laws based around it that affect others' freedoms of choice and lifestyle in the country with which you all live who do not partake, believe, or abide by them. then yes, i am. you don't have to be gay or have abortions, but when you start restricting others' abilities to do those activities because of your christian morality and foundation in your decision making as a direct reference, you're no different. or... how do you think you're different? it is the denial, restriction, or punishment of somebody with a differing viewpoint than yourself... at that point, its origin is irrelevant be it islam or christianity or whatever. i'm not sure how you make the distinction beyond the default fallback of trying to reference "honor killings"... of which the bible itself has plenty of instances of... american christians would seem to just wish to pick and choose which passages to take literally and which to brush over. different subject there though. to a gay person who loves another person of the same sex and isn't christian or isn't religious, and just wants to solidify that love in marriage, trying to put myself in their shoes... i fail to see the distinction of why they shouldn't be afforded the same rights and opportunities as you. if i wish to abort some babies... i fail to see why that's your concern or why it is a christian imperative to interject into it same as i assume you're not jiving with the way certain subsets of muslim people may choose to deal with certain things according to their book or not.

i don't want to say hypocritical... cause that's not really the word. i'm finding it hard to meld the stern opposition of one type of religious law and then being ok with making other religious based laws of your own, and the perceived irrational fear accompanying it... i guess is where i'm coming from.

9. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

72 minutes between first 911 call and SWAT breach. It's good he stopped after 10 min because no one else was going to.

10. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I don't really subscribe to a religion or political party. I am more a "don't tax the shit out of me and leave me alone" kinda guy but tend to go more towards the conservative side of things if I am picking sides. But I am also a fellow heathen, agree with you on gay rights and abortion for the most part and do not really want anyones holy book writing the laws. I would not say that I am afraid of sharia law though. I am just at a loss for why someone would come from a shithole country (from what I can tell) and want to implement their laws to change the US to be more like the shithole that they left. If those laws were so great why did they leave in the first place? But I am also someone who believes that if someone does something that I find offensive the extent of my rights should be to turn around and go back out the doorway I just entered. There does not seem to be any protections in it for women and gays and the more extreme elements tend to interpret the Quran in a way that in their minds justifies what I consider to be pretty bad shit. I have also worked with alot of Muslims from the Middle East and if I am being completely honest that has soured me a bit. I would say 80% were complete assholes and if they would have fallen off the rig I would have tossed them a cast iron life preserver so I probably have less respect for them as a group than most.

11. Sweatypants

fair enough, was just curious. you don't see any differentiating between financial opportunity and culture/religion though (the why come from a shithole and want to implement your laws [or way of life if i'm reading that right])? i don't think anyone is coming here from muslim countries trying to change our life... related though, you don't consider them leaving that shithole to be strictly an opportunity and financial decision? and unrelated to the cultural/ritual aspect of their daily life? if the two things can be not mutually exclusive, then to me it makes total sense. there's lots about mainstream american culture that leaves little to be desired in the context of materialism, greed, promiscuity, etc... for a lot of people around the world. you been around, i been around, i'm sure you've heard those before (also another discussion).

12. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

That sounds more fun than Colin Edward's boot camp. Just looked up that beer too,I will have to check it out. IPA/APA is my beer of choice for drinking something with taste.

Right now, I like a really cold draft Good People IPA.

13. tiggen

So law that is based on secularism is ok? And if so, is it ok because it marginalizes the beliefs of religious types, or is that just an added bonus?

14. Sweatypants

pretty sure that's the jist of the first amendment, yea. why does it have to marginalize you (or religious types)? why does the comings and goings of others, especially in the two areas mentioned in the previous post, have any affect on your daily life or well-being whatsoever? real talk... if you were walking down the street and you saw 2 dudes kissing, would you tell one of your friends or family members that "you know what ruined my day today? i saw..."??? (cause i had a boss that foreal said that to me one time a long long time ago)

15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Name me any place in the world where Muslims are moving in and they're not trying to change the society.
    They are required by their belief system to attain a Muslim society.
    Tell me, what is the Christian equivalent of the word "jihad"?

Your observations that all religions are equally as dangerous ignores the real world.

Rebel635 and galloway840 like this.
  16. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Hell yeah I'm in!:D

Steak Travis likes this.
  17. Sweatypants

uhh... Washington DC? and besides bad driving and more options for kabobs, no they're not really changing anything. evangelicals are "required" as well. where's your fear?

the christian equivalent of the word jihad is "crusades"... there were 9 of them last i checked. or wait wait... would you prefer "pogroms"... there's been a few of those as well. or maybe the word you're remembering is "inquisition" from your history books. don't be naive, it doesn't suit you.

*edit*

oh wait wait... i know... Manifest Destiny is the one you want. phew!

18. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

In my opinion if you want to take advantage of the financial opportunity you should be willing to live by the rules of the culture that provides said opportunities. I even get pissed off when I hear someone start with the "in California" or "in New York" crap and try to change shit around here. I definitely do not try to change stuff to be more like the frozen wasteland of my birth...
    Come to Austin and we can solve the problems of the world over a bunch of beer and make Alex drive us around. :D

19. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Michigan - unless you have a major issue with HS football practice at night during Ramadan.

20. Sweatypants

hahaha yea but that's a very american thing in itself. everyone is [insert blank]-american, and not "american." it probably keeps that keeping on to a large extent, even if subconsciously. nobody is "from here." they're from somewhere else and also here, unless you don't know where you're from or you're English or something i guess.

and i def will, i know i need too. if you can survive that lunatic, you'll survive me haha. i'm like alex-lite.

crashman likes this.