1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Las Vegas Bicycle accident

Discussion in 'General' started by SundaySocial, Dec 11, 2020.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

It’s kinda hard to grok members of a motorcycle road racing forum saying they think riding a bicycle on a street is too dangerous.

GixxerBlade, Knotcher and cha0s#242 like this.
  2. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Well, in all fairness some of those same people think that riding a motorcycle on the streets is dangerous as well and I'm inclined to agree.... but I still do it. I know more than a few that refuse to do so.

5axis likes this.
  3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I've never been asked to share a race track with eighteen wheelers and distracted soccer moms. While we are on the subject, I walk thousands of miles a year with my dog. I never have problems with cars or other pedestrians getting into my space. Bicyclists are a daily problem. The way they act on walking trails and sidewalks is the very behavior they complain about on the highway. The most egregious offenders always have the tightest, most colorful lycra, so at least they self label so that I can plan accordingly.

cav115 likes this.
  4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Never have been licensed to ride on the street...never will be licensed to ride on the street. It's not hard to understand why if you are being honest when evaluating the risk involved.

5. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

7. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

I totally get it.... believe me. Temptation to go fast is a Siren's song I've often answered. My brother lost his life being a dumbass on the street. But he was doing illegal shit so that's why he deserved to die. I ride totally legal nowadays so I'm probably immune to getting dead cause you know.... it's my right to legally ride...legally.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  8. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Beyond horrible news. I've ridden between 4k-10k miles a year the last 10 years and sharing the road with traffic, terrifies me. And, I was hit by a car in Jan of this year (different circumstances) and luckily walked away with just a broken bicycle, not fun. These days, I ride with a blinking red light, brighter clothing and stay off of busy roads.

Reading about this ride, it's just sad and IMO, easily avoidable.

Ken

SundaySocial, cpettit and cav115 like this.
  9. FourThreeSix

FourThreeSix Well-Known Member

This.

What they were doing was perfectly legal and yep, it ultimately got them killed. The same can be said for left-hand turners killing motorcyclists, pedestrians getting killed in a crosswalk when it's their turn, etc. What's unfortunate is how acceptable these circumstances are nowadays. Along the way, the value of a fellow human has somehow decreased and it sucks.

10. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

For some, there is no value whatsoever in anyone but themselves.

FourThreeSix likes this.
  11. Venom51

That's us, the unfeeling clods that would rather you not become a hood ornament while screaming about how right you are. So self absorbed.

BHP41 and cav115 like this.
  12. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Road cycling is probably more dangerous. It is hard to grok in the sense that people are arguing so strenuously against it with ignorant and emotional arguments. They sound like all the ninnies that would love to see motorcycle racing banned because “OMG it’s so dangerous!” Hypocrisy can’t be helped I guess.

FourThreeSix and cav115 like this.
  13. Venom51

I haven't seen anyone in this thread argue for banning it. If you have reached that conclusion you have done so on your own. We think it's stupid but you are free to be stupid.

14. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I've done both and disagree with that statement. Every damn weekend I was racing motorcycles, I saw someone leave in the ambulance with various degrees of injuries, including death. And I raced motorcycles much less often than I rode bikes in a group on the roads. The statistics are kinda hard to compare and based on personal opinion, but I'm far from convinced bicycles are more dangerous than motorcycles.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've driven a lot of different vehicles out there on that road and you can easily have a wind gust blow you over an entire lane with no time to react. If the wind was bad enough the bikes were hiding behind a car I could see it blowing a box truck over a half lane. It sucks for sure but without more info it's not time to crucify anyone.

SundaySocial and dobr24 like this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What's that got to do with making the roads unsafe for you and everyone else? Lots of people pay taxes that don't drive or ride bicycles. Should they have the right to walk down the middle of a lane?

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not quite the same. Motorcyclists don't ask for different laws regard them versus cars that I know of. Including minimum speeds...

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why? Wanna guess how many cyclists die versus roadracers per year? Won't even bother with basic roadrash level injuries in spandex versus full gear.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

In organized competition?

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sure. I'd bet we're still good even percentage wise. There is a lot of bicycle racing and a lot of crashes. A lot of these group rides are organized competitions too.