1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Las Vegas Bicycle accident

Discussion in 'General' started by SundaySocial, Dec 11, 2020.

1. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

I see people everyday riding on some of the busiest roads in this small city. I just shake my head. They get out there in their speedos and ride on busy roads just to be seen I guess, because there is zero reason other than that. Plenty of places to ride in every part of this country that isn’t putting you in a unsafe environment.

Same with people that run on busy roads or ride motorcycles with no helmets. Gotta feel cool and have everyone see you. Well, until they get hit by a distracted driver. I’m guessing that doesn’t get put on their IG or YT channel.

2. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Why the high horse? Are you the arbiter on how roads are to be used?

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Because we know most accidents are caused by lane changes and differences in speed. What causes more lane shuffling and speed difference than a bunch of spandex clad individuals moving an 1/8 of the speed of traffic? Again...you can do it just don't expect much sympathy when you come out on the losing end of physics.

ChemGuy and sdg like this.
  4. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

If I can’t ride a YZ250 on the road then riding a bicycle there makes no sense.

Hotfoot, TurboBlew and cpettit like this.
  5. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I was in Vegas for Thanksgiving and drove to hoover dam and up to Zion for a few days. As soon as you get out of the city traffic moves at 90+ mph. No way should bicycle be on a road with cars moving that speed. If you are and you get hit..... here's your sign.

5axis likes this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

only on MLK day. :)

YamahaRick, masshole and Knotcher like this.
  7. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Every time a bicycle thread comes up I try to keep my head down but the ignorance of some is just overwhelming. How about just paying attention when you drive and give others respect?

trussdude, Jed, FourThreeSix and 2 others like this.
  8. Venom51

How about you get a license plate, insurance and the ability to not hinder traffic flow...

9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Licenses and insurance don't pay for roads, taxes do. I'll bet that most cyclists pay taxes just like everyone else.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  11. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

This is the almost exactly the same argument people used to try to get motorcycles off the road. "Motorcyclists keep dying because they're on the losing end of physics, they shouldn't be on our roads", and also they're the ones running them off the road.

It took the AMA what, 60 years to change public opinion? Why insist on going backwards?

DucatiBomber likes this.
  12. Venom51

I dont ride those on the public roadways either...

13. Knotcher

registration and fuel taxes are funding sources that cyclists don’t contribute to.

Also, personal return on tax allocation is a bad argument to make on either side.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    casjoker likes this.
  14. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I ride on the road some and will still be the first to say some road cyclists are asshats. Yes, I realize you can legally take up the whole lane. It doesn't make you any less of a douchebag for doing so. Get over to the fucking side and out of people's way. There is absolutely zero excuse for not staying to the side.

15. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

My guess is that almost every cyclist pays for registration on at least one vehicle each year. They also pay for the fuel that goes into that vehicle. I would think that surely gives them the right to use the roads just like everyone else. There’s a reason the law say bicycles are allowed on the roads. Because you don’t like them is not a valid reason.

16. Knotcher

I didn't say I didn't like them. I said tax allocation is a bad argument to make from either perspective.

The sane argument against bicycles on the roads is speed deltas. There's a reason they generally aren't allowed on Interstates, and it's speed deltas. I'm just saying that should maybe be moved to 45mph and above, or something like that.

17. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

They may have the right to use the roads just like everyone else, but they seem to lack the ability.

18. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Do whatcha want. Just don't cry when you get runned over. Kinda like the rolling roadblock the HD guys do around here sometimes. Take up two lanes of a 4 lane highway at a speed 15 mph slower than traffic.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  19. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Seems like they were doing just fine till a truck rear ended and killed them?

So by your logic if your child is riding their bike on your residential street and someone comes up behind them on the road doing the posted speed limit and runs them over you wouldn't and shouldn't say anything. Yea Right......

At what point have any of the anti-cyclist group really suffered at the hands of Lycra clad cycling gang? So you had to slow down for 45 seconds? People just need to chill.

20. Venom51

Maybe they should have been pedaling harder. If you are moving the same speed as the other object and in the same direction the chance of collision is virtually zero.

Yes...your child shouldn't be riding in the street either. If you are willing to gamble their life I see no reason why I shouldn't.

Kyle Brosius likes this.