1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Las Vegas Bicycle accident

Discussion in 'General' started by SundaySocial, Dec 11, 2020.

1. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I appreciate your points. I'm not arguing this anymore as its all opinion. Just pointing out what I find to be ironic.

2. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Well the statistics say on average 600-800 people die a year on bicycles in America vs about 6,000 deaths on motorcycles.
    Makes perfect sense has the additional speed and distance traveled , more than increase your odds.
    It just sometimes feels more dangerous...lol
    Riding motorcycles is truly one of the stupidest things I've ever done but as mentioned earlier it's also one of the most rewarding experiences it's as close as you can get the flying , while still being on the the ground.
    And people that go up into the sky on airplanes, are complete idiots too...lol.
    The whole motorcycles / flying comparison just reminds me of the Coyote when he goes off a cliff in a flying contraption.... for the first few seconds, he's so happy ! and then a realization that he's fucked!...lol

cha0s#242 and SpeedyE like this.
  3. gonriding

gonriding Well-Known Member

Driver charged with DUI...
    I’ve been lurking here a while because it’s a refreshing break from the commies here where I live.
    But damn, as a lifelong racer of bicycles and motorcycles on and off road, I gotta say it’s pretty appalling to me how easily ya’ll write off 5 people out enjoying life.

4. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Damn shame all around.

5. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

I can't speak for everyone but I most certainly am not "writing them off". It is indeed a senseless tragedy that more than likely was completely avoidable. There are too many variables in that particular situation for that to even begin to seem like a good idea. Obviously impaired drivers, distracted drivers, weather conditions, and then the setting in general. Legally, well within their rights, sure. Cranially, not the smartest move ever.

I realize that it seems idiotic for people who have actually raced a motorcycle in a sanctioned event to say it isn't smart to legally ride your bike on the highway but I personally feel safer on the track because of the lack of variables that can't be controlled.

I hate that their friends and loved ones are going to have to suffer the feeling of loss and sadness. But at least they'll have the comfort of knowing that they went out enjoying life.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The tough talk was pretty muted when it happened to Nicky Hayden.

7. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I almost mentioned this and even went back and searched the threads on it. Just didn't want to bring up bad memories for people on here who were close to him. RIP Nicky, one of the nicest families and guys I've ever met in racing.

8. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Touché.
    One of the best examples of Beeb hypocrisy.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

But it didn’t happen to Nicky Hayden. Nicky wasn’t in a massive group, riding with a support/traffic impeding vehicle, on a highway, in high winds.

Apples and orangutans. The only similarity is the spandex.

10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I don't see your point. He was riding a bicycle on the roads, which is what the people here are saying is "idiotic". If anything, riding alone is even more dangerous than riding in a group.

GixxerBlade likes this.
  11. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Where did you see they were impeding traffic anywhere? Now your making up your own story line to fit the argument.

12. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Pretty shit thing to bring up Nicky when the incidents share no similarities other than they were on pedal bikes.

pickled egg likes this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Take a count of the number of posts in this thread that are not specific to this incident but to cyclists on the road in general and get back to me about fruits and monkeys.

14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

My position does not change based on who is pedaling. It's only more infuriating when it's someone for which I had a healthy respect of their abilities and accomplishments.

15. pickled egg

Of course you don’t see my point. You don’t get stuck behind a group of spandex poseurs on the roads by where I live, riding side by side by side by side, the rider furthest from the shoulder constantly veering further into the traffic lane, backing up traffic and creating a hazard because their sense of entitlement grossly overshadow their senses of courtesy or self-preservation.

Oddly, I never have any problems getting around a solitary bicyclist and giving the rider a wide berth.

But hey, groupthink is all the rage, so, you know, fall in line. :Poke:

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Shitty is trying to hide your hypocrisy behind fake outrage. Where was your response to people saying that cyclists are stupid and/or don't belong on the roads?

17. pickled egg

Not interested. But thanks.

18. pickled egg

Shitty is using the tragic death of a beloved cultural icon in a solitary bicycle rider incident to try and bully people in a discussion about the dangers that GROUPS of self-important douche canoes pose to themselves and the motoring public.

What was that about hypocrisy?

19. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

What outrage? Pointing out that it’s a shit thing to bring up Nicky when it has zero to do with this incident? That’s outrage?
    Did I say that cyclist don’t belong on the roads? I did not. That’s silly to say that bicycles should be banned but I don’t recall seeing anyone saying that.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I thought you weren't interested in pointing out all the posts that are not about group riding and the incident that started this thread. Have you already changed your mind? Because if not, that was the right call if you don't want to look like a hypocrite.