1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kapernick and Nike Deal......

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ClemsonsR6, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Damnit, New Balance has boring ass colors.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Check out the ADIDAS energy Boost. Used to be "softer" feeling but still damn comfortable.

New Balance fit weird.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

New Balance always seemed to fit normal sized people just fine. :D

I need something that will not wear out under a fat guy after 3 months. I could actually wear down the sole on the shox before they'd stop being comfy at the track. The new air whatevers I got started off meh at best sadly.

4. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

Funny you say that.... the choice of words is very deliberate and you're skipping the operative one.

"...even IF it means sacrificing everything".

NIKE isn't saying Kap "sacrificed everything". They're saying he sacrificed something, which is the first step to sacrificing everything.

Unfortunately no one understands nuance anymore, and I'm sure NIKE was fine with that. There's an implication there and I'm sure they said let's roll with it. Like many have already observed, they knew this was coming and they're counting on it.

I have no dog in this fight, I've been wearing PUMA since 1983. Got made fun of a LOT in the mid-to-late 80's. :crackup:

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I need to pull out my Merrell slip ons and see how they do. Definitely comfy around the house.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I am a bit curious on this, what did he sacrifice? He was already going to be cut before the kneeling stuff. His salary demands have kept him from other jobs. Not sure that is what would truly fit the sacrifice definition.

7. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Help me keep track here:

I don't want to wear Nikes, use a Yeti cooler, shop at Dick's sports, or watch the NFL.

Is there any more stupid tribalry I'm missing?

R1Racer99 likes this.
  8. G 97

G 97 Garth

True but it needs to be put in context. Nike stock dropped @3% Tuesday. Amounting to $3.75billion.

BUT Nike's stock is still up nearly 30% in 2018, even after Tuesday's drop.

So not really a big deal considering.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You don't look at how companies do business as a factor in giving them your money? I do to an extent, I'll never shop at REI for one example. Nike isn't doing anything horrible at this point, they're just playing into what is going on in the media so they can sell more shit. That's their job.

10. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

You honestly think Kaepernick is worse than Colt McCoy or Chad Henne? Both are currently employed. The kneeling stuff is too much baggage, we all know it. I'm not saying it's wrong - he made a choice and good on him. He's living with the consequences, and that's how it works. He sacrificed opportunity for a (misguided) principle. He might have flamed out anyway, but that's not really the point.

HPPT likes this.
  11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Then New Balance. They make some shoes just for that reason.

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yeah that’s it. :crackup: Again, it’s not me keeping CK out of the NFL. The teams have made that decision. You seem to think that talent is absolute and that it applies equally to each player relative to each team, which is not the case. Again, if CK had a higher talent level, there is no doubt he would be in the NFL. This doesn’t mean he is a no talent hack, far from it. Derp.

13. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

i'll stick to wearing Altra's. i haven't touched a pair of Nike's in 20 years. The last pair of Air Max's I got last 200 miles of running in them, no thanks. They have every right to hire who they want to represent them, everyone else has the right to buy or boycott. The market will speak and then they will decide to renew or dump Kap.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes I do think that - for SF with whatever contract he had at the time. He was gone anyway. That was a given long before he took a knee.

I still don't think the knee shit is as big an issue as people want it to be - on both sides. I think his ego is what is causing his biggest issue with getting a job. He wants more money than he's currently worth.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, think I'm going to order a pair off Amazon. I will bust out some of my hiking boot style stuff too and get a feel for what works or doesn't. I know one pair of Merrells worked for two plus years regular use which is pretty unheard of for me. I tried reviving them with some insoles but they were just too played out.

16. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Who wouldn't be happy to pay $15K for a 1998 Yamaha YZF 600?

17. G 97

G 97 Garth

Been nothing but Reebok and NB since forever. I had a couple pair of Nike track (spike) shoes in HS and College. But have nothing but NB for training and running. They make a wide option which fits my feet better.

18. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

I haven't had Nike stuff since 1993. Every shoe fell to pieces so fast. Switched to Adidas in 10th grade and haven looked back. They have been great and last.

I have the same Spezials from March 2012 as a daily walk around shoe.

New Balance makes a great running shoe as well...i got them for those awesome Army PT runs:rolleyes:

19. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

that's why I went to Altra's. Ugly shoes but have a wide toe box so they are great to run in.

G 97 likes this.
  20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Got a DSW near you? Check there.

I had 3 or 4 sets of the 476s over the years and they held up great. They are trail and off pavement runners and they were a bit heavy but great.. . . and cheap.

I have tried a pair of their Fresh Foams and they are okay. Went back to ADIDAS.

If you need lacrosse cleats, well, New Balance Freezes are the best. :D