1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just need to get something off my chest

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by medicracer, Apr 10, 2004.

1. medicracer

medicracer mostly luriking nowdays

ok, fine, i will allow you ppl to coddle and craddle the one that you feel needs it. sometimes support isn't just saying that things are ok, and everything will be ok. sometimes the best support is a hard look at reality. so go ahead and continue to come to the rescue.
    if you or anyone doesn't want advice, then don't listen. if you are offended or upset with what is being said here. then don't look or read it.

2. WeaselBob

WeaselBob Well-Known Member

I find it best to never offer advice, even if requested. Better to share one's first-hand experience.
    Now will somebody just reach back really, really far and slap this dude?

3. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

This has been a boring/stupid thread from the start.

Christ died 2000 years ago. Get over it and move on.

4. cinderella

cinderella Guest

No, dear, sometimes the best support is understanding that, for the other person, LIFE JUST SUCKS.

Sometimes the best support is understanding and accepting what that person is saying, instead of overriding them with your own personal opinion that "things will get better". Because some things DON'T get better.

Sometimes the best support is the honest admission that no, I don't know what you're going through, I can't even hazard a guess.

Sometimes the best support is simply accepting another person's reality, instead of demanding that they accept yours.

If you, "medicracer", are in any sort of position where you work with injured or disabled people in any way, shape or form, I implore you to get help in cleaning out the fluff in your head, for your attitude as displayed here WILL DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD to the very people you are attempting to help.

...And you can either accept that statement, pay attention to it, and actually fix your attitude problem -- or you can resist it, as you have been doing, and continue to harm others. You'll have to decide which is more important: the souls you're damaging, or your own wounded pride.

Good luck.

=c.

5. cinderella

cinderella Guest

Yeah, well, I think we should have a federally-mandated bank of "personal days" that can be used as a person desires. Then Billy and Jessie can have Good Friday off; and Sarah and Yitzhak can have Passover off; and D'wayne and Shaniqua can take MLK day off; and I can have the Spring Equinox; and Sharon can take off a couple days mid-week to clean out her stove after the latest home-brewing disaster. What's so difficult about that?

=c.

6. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: just need to get something off my chest

Here's the real simple flaw: In your example, Gods Plan is that I'll finish the race in some manner. What if I decide to pull off two laps from the finish and take a DNF? "God's Plan" cannot possibly account for every possible occurrence of Free Will and still be considered a "plan" at all. Think about all the choices you make from the moment you get up in the morning. His "plan" accounts for every possible outcome of every possible decision of every human on earth? That "plan" would have to morph dozens of times every second to keep ahead of things. More importantly, if I cannot deviate from His Plan, then I'm nothing but a puppet on a string since I cannot escape God and his all-encompassing plan. I truly have no decisions in my life since it's all already planned out for me. That's not Free Will at all.

But you know what, even if "his plan" does account for all such things, I still want no parts of Him or His Plan in my life. Nor do I want someone claiming that everything I've accomplished in my life is not because of my hard work, but rather the result of some fairy tale divinity granting favor upon me. God didn't "give" me shit; I made it for myself.

And I'll second everyone else's comments about your "advice" to Papa.

7. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Cin: That was my idea 20 years ago but did they listen? NO!:rolleyes: :D

8. medicracer

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: just need to get something off my chest

listen, i have had the opportunity to work with the sick and injured for over 5 yrs, i have seen quite a bit, and have seen how it affects ppl. i have personal experience in dealing with tragedy. when and if you would like any assistance, feel free to get in touch with me. otherwise i am not going to argue about this with everyone but you anylonger. you want anything, you get in touch with me.
    and can you not see your gift now? you obviously can be a friend, and i don't seem to have that ability or talent. but i accept that and know that that is who i am. and i am happy to be who i am.
    good luck and i hope everything works out for you.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

ROTFL!:D :D :D

Hey Medic, this is partly why I did not care to go into details. There is nothing you can say I have not heard before. Here are a couple of items for you to ponder:

- Cinderella knows a lot more about my condition than you do.

- Christopher Reeve can sit in a wheelchair. I can't. Do you feel that can create enough of a lifestyle difference to make us two non-interchangeable quadriplegics?

No offense, but this was a dumb thread when it started and it only got worse when you focused on me. I understand you meant well, but you are so wrong on so many levels it would take too long to explain here. That's the kind of stuff that demands a live conversation.

10. medicracer

so niether of you haave had to change your lifestyle? or your entire life? no, u both did.
    anyways, read my previous post.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

OK, now you're just being stubborn for the sake of it. If you lose your right thumb, your lifestyle will change. If your coworker loses his right arm, his lifestyle will change as well. Will your experiences be the same just because you both had a change in lifestyle?

12. medicracer

not completely, but they would be for someone else who lost his thumb also. and for someone else who lost his arm also.

13. Papa, you are way too kind. "Stubborn" is not the right word, and you know it! ;)

Hey Medicracer - I thought you said you were going to STFU about this topic. Why don't you stop giving the lie to your words and do it?

14. cinderella

cinderella Guest

He's working on upgrading himself from "well-meaning but clueless" to "utterly malicious total fucking dumbass". :D

15. medicracer

i have not used any personal attacks on anyone her unlike you ppl. you ppl make me question the whole, "wera family" thing.

16. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

This is exactly the reason I stay out of these auguments. Ah, debates. Someone always breaks out the ball bat..

17. cinderella

cinderella Guest

You have said things that are both ignorant and offensive. You've been told this repeatedly, by various people, along with careful explanations of exactly why your behavior is ignorant and offensive. Instead of paying attention and listening to what people are telling you, you've chosen to completely disregard these explanations and warnings, and continue the ignorant and offensive behavior. And now you're whining about "personal attacks"?

Dude, you are SO going in the box.

18. medicracer

offending someone with what u say is the same as calling someone names like a little school kid?
    o ya that's right i am the ignorant one right?
    lol
    u are entertaining.

19. cinderella

cinderella Guest

In case you hadn't noticed, sir, I went to some trouble to try to explain to you exactly why your statements were ignorant and offensive. However, at the point where it became obvious that you cared more about preserving your pride and "winning the argument" than about actually helping people or damaging them with your assumptions and attitude, I stopped giving a shit about your feelings - as indeed, you have made it clear that you do not give a shit about anyone else's.

You get what you give, dude. My attitude toward you, at this point, is the attitude you have earned. If you don't like it, you need to look to your own behavior to see how you caused it.

And since you are apparently unwilling to do so... you're going in the box.

Pretty simple, really.

=c.

20. medicracer

so you have shown me your intelectual level and knowledge in dealing with and understanding ppl. thank you o kind Mr. Skinner. thank you o kind Mr. Rogers. thank you. i thank you for showing me that psychology as a whole is false, misleading and incorrect.