1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

its here

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by joec, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

So that's three for more government. We should start a poll. :D

2. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Come on man, how redirecting available resources to do something useful?

3. Joe Morris

Because it's an expansion of the role of government. Do you think that goes away when you're not afraid any more?

Feel however you want and support whatever action you want. But know when you're having a liberal knee-jerk reaction. If you didn't think we needed this security a year ago then maybe we should just ride Ebola out without asking the government to change.

4. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it more. I'd say this is role they should already be doing.

5. Joe Morris

In what way? The State Department issued a warning in August. That followed months of news. Was there a lack of awareness? What government intervention would you propose that wouldn't sacrifice a freedom?

There are countries that segregate travelers for different screening. It's not a foreign concept. It's not like I haven't seen it in action.

6. Sacko DougK

I guess I'm not following your point here. The federal government should, through it's agencies, work to prevent a nationwide epidemic. There exists a need for an agency to coordinate activities, to centralize a response for something can effect national security across state boundaries. They should be working to prevent a foreign disease from entering into the US. This is well within the scope and purpose of the Federal government.

I'm not following the discussion point here.

7. Joe Morris

Did that threat exist before Ebola came to the U.S.? Yes.
    Did we have a government keeping tabs on Ebola before it arrived? Yes. Were free people free to make bad decisions during that time? Yes.
    Would changing our government now in response to Ebola have long lasting consequences? Yes.

I'll take freedom even with all the drawbacks.

8. Sacko DougK

Right up to the point that someone lands in Raleigh Durham with ebola or something else? Then you'll be screaming, "why wasn't this person stopped!"

Change our government? :confused:

9. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Defending our borders IS part of the limited constitutional duties of the federal government. Closing or restricting travel to west africa is 100% within those duties. Further the common good statement would seem to apply more to the prevention of an epidemic than the million other things they do by it. Oh and immigration is also on the list and flying infected kids all over the country to spread a central american virus is not part of it (unless you are the current administration) Rather a controlled migration that is in the interest of citizens is what should be done.

10. sheepofblue

Actually it is not an expansion. The federal government has laws on the books to screen immigrants, stop illegals, and restrict entry (visas). Further there are quarantine laws on the books from the days of TB and Polio. The only new here is the disease. Also the restrictions need not be draconian overall. Restrict/quarantine travelers from west africa. Defend the southern border (and northern). Anyone crossing it should be held in quarantine at a minimum regardless of if they are a refugee or criminal.

Instead we are doing nothing and it will spread. I truly hope I am wrong and you are right but I am predicting 500+ infections in 20+ states in the next year. Certainly 500 is not huge in comparison to a lot of things however the potential for a full blown epidemic is far from zero.

11. Joe Morris

I won't be screaming that. I wouldn't be screaming that if I had Ebola myself. I live in a free society and I could live in isolation if I wanted. I don't want that. I live around alot of people and that comes with inherent risk. I don't need Ebola to scare me any worse than the realities of flu season. We had Legionaires Disease going around the area this summer! Somehow all those people that have died from that haven't influenced me to change my life one bit. Crazy!

12. Sacko DougK

Why would it? You're not a Legionaire. :D

13. sheepofblue

Oh and he went to Texas via Washington so maybe......

14. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

hahaha you guys are something else. i love all the contradictions in character in here. its amazing. i've been chuckling all morning. i love the fear mongering from people who live in fuckin nowheresville too, like my city, the most international city in the entire country, won't be 1 of the first to take a hit in any worst case scenario. go cry to the government you hate so much, boo hooooo...

15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Really? You have never seemed like a "black or white" person in the past. You think the only choices are Big Brother or anarchy?:crackup: Someone is feeling froggy today! We already have an excessively intrusive government so I do not think it is unreasonable to want them to at least attempt to keep the latest plague out of the country. I pay a shit ton in taxes every year and I expect some sort of return on my investment.
    That being said, if those are the choices pencil me in for freedom and tell the tax guy to fuck off and stop diverting my money to their pet projects. I will use the spare cash to arm and fortify.:up:

16. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

17. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

My morning consisted of measuring the cafeteria at Presbyterian Hospital for new chairs. The media was crawling all over the place.

18. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Wow.

19. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Cases in Ky now being repoted..

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

On the bright side, now it won't be long before there is a cure and/or vaccine.