1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Irrational Car Purchases

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Nov 17, 2016.

1. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Big Bird is alive!

BigBird likes this.
  2. sill'r B sill'd

sill'r B sill'd throttle therapy

I was gonna like but you said minivan [emoji14]

BigBird likes this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

Won 1st Place in my Class at my 2nd SCCA Time Trials in my mini-minivan. I beat out other drivers that were ahead of me on the first try

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

BigBird likes this.
  5. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

That kind of money could have gotten you an SL55. Your loss.

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

But Why? It doesn't do it for me.

I like hot hatches and minivans, which is like a big hatchback. I also prefer 650s over inlines, so there's that.

~sent from mobile

7. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Isn't that a bit like I had my Pontiac Vibe running flat out as far as statements go?

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

If the vibe was AWD making 350 hp/380 lb-tq using a DSG....then yeah...similar

~sent from mobile

9. sheepofblue

No if it was that then I would not have a license.....daily driver that is anything more than a brick is not a good mix. A sheep has to know his limitations :beer:

Though there was an AWD Vibe and a factory blower kit......

Yes I resisted.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

Think a R with my mods runs mid 11s....not terrible. It's a fun track car for sure, the GTI is a hoot also.

~sent from mobile

11. sheepofblue

I got criticized in a stock Vibe for ramp speed.... Daily driver has to be real pig or tickets will follow, not even the white hair and age would save me.:D

BigBird likes this.
  12. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

BigBird likes this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

Amazing for sure. Motorcycles are truly amazing machines. Pushing 3400 pounds is not easy.

The difference is, it's pretty easy for me to just use launch control and get close to those times. How many people can launch most of those bikes to make those times repeatedly?

~sent from mobile

14. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

I fall somewhere on the rational side of irrational car purchases. My daily driver is an STi Sooby. 305 hp 6 speed manual tranny and AWD. Perfect car for our long snowy and icy winters. Fastest car out there in February. But unlike most of the guys I know with one, I haven’t modified it at all, not even a fart can exhaust, much less all the extras to kick it up another 100 hp or more. I like factory engineered cars. My dad was a total hot rodder and when I was a kid he had a string of super built Ford flatheads in various street rods that ran so hot they cooked your feet, a Kurtis 500 on the street with a sprint car engine (ditto), and those early experiences lead me to like cars that start and run easily, with lots of hp, defrosters that work, etc.

BigBird likes this.
  15. BigBird

BigBird blah

I like to modify everything that can be modded but still reliable... Hence why I have the factory turbo still but full bolt-on

~sent from mobile

16. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

That engine is in the all time top 10 greats ever put on the road. MB f'ed up big time getting rid of it.

BigBird likes this.