1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Irrational Car Purchases

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yet you still wax poetic about them/VAG being the best thing in the world. I'm sure if it were a Japanese car that did that to you....it would have been all over the internet. :D

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It isn't just VW. Same thing with a KIA suv and some others (rentals with base seats). Usually the seats are "pinched" and too small even for me. The worst is BMW and their base pleather upholstered lawn chairs in their suvs.

3. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

I'm 5'9" and about 195 right now...heading back to about 185 when I'm lean. With wide shoulders and back it sounds like that seat is going to be narrow for me, would you agree?

4. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say that I agree a car's "only" purpose is to transport you from A to B, but that's its primary purpose. I watch a ton of "Regular Car Reviews," and he's pointed out several times how great cheap cars are nowadays. In the 70's, a cheap car had no options, and the 0-70 time was "maybe." I think the Nissan Versa is among the cheapest new cars on the market, and while I wouldn't want to daily one, I would buy a 5-10 year old sedan and have no problem spending 2 hours a day piloting it between work and home.

I'm stuck with that outlook, because I put at least 25k/year on my car commuting, so anything nicer would be a waste. Like the OP is discovering, a good seat is important, but otherwise, I'm with you: Radio, AC, heat, cruise control. Let's roll.

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

It really does depend. Others on the Golf forum are larger than I and it works for them..it's almost like a mattress...not going to work for everyone, and it depends on the trim package too.

6. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Soooo, does a clean 90k mile V70R count as irrational? It would be replacing a 172k mile Saab 9-5 aero wagon. I think I know the answer to that, but I've liked them for years. Yadayadayada bevel gear whatever. We're talking irrational, right? The Saab is sold the minute I get something else, as I've had a standing offer on it for a while now.

Maybe I can beat talbott this weekend and make my decision easier.

BigBird likes this.
  7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Do it. They are nice rides. Nothing irrational about it.

8. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Its funny how many of life's best memories come from irrational decisions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

trispdtrip, masshole, L8RSK8R and 2 others like this.
  9. rogers1323

BigBird, what's the update? How are you liking the car now after a few months?

Has it been any more comfortable to drive?

Installed any of the upgrades you were talking about yet?

I'm shopping fairly hard for one at this point, but looking at the SE. It would have leather, but still not the fully power adjustable seats from the autobahn model.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

Well the old people pillow has worked re-markedly well, and the seat is a non-issue now, and actually comfortable. (Of course I just probably jinxed myself)

I had 367 miles on it after 2.5 months and then the wife's car was hit, while she stopped at a light by a tractor trailer trying to reverse into a loading dock (It wasn't Darrin, I checked :D ) So she used it for a day and I've been driving it everyday since, and it's been AWESOME!

I changed the downpipe to an APR DP and added a Magnaflow exhaust. The factory exhaust is really good on these cars and doesn't need to be changed out, but I wanted a better sound. Then it was too loud, so I added a resonator, which is a little better, but I've been having some clearance issues so I need to either get those hangers adjusted or go back to factory cat back. The downpipe is there to stay as that makes a tremendous difference. Also, changed out the factory tail lights to the Euro ones. I also coded some stuff like traction control to sport and off (which "off" is not a option stock), and some other things. Everything in this car can be programmed to do something different. I now have 670 miles, 300 which have been over the last 2 weeks.

Up next is a JB4 piggyback computer, ST suspension, short shift kit and rear sway bar.

TL;DR To tell you the truth, nothing is really needed on the car (just maybe a little more power so you can pass those Camrys). The car does everything well from the get go, superb package, and I would say I would totally buy the car again. I talked my co-worked in buying one, and he should be picking his SE 6MT up any day now.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

These are the Euro Tails in Action
    [​IMG]

Boman Forklift likes this.
  12. I'd like to get my hands on a F body WS6 TA or Camaro SS, 6 speed.

13. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Nice vanity plate!! :D

BigBird likes this.
  14. rogers1323

Awesome, thanks for the update. I really don't want to buy a car, but with 325K on my current car I probably should. I drive 100 miles a day though, so I'll be spending more time in it than you are. I have to wonder how it will hold up long term to that kind of mileage...

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

So far no fatal flaws found in the car and it has been around for a couple years. I'm manual only #savetheManuals, but with your daily mileage, not sure if you are going to get a DSG, but there is a new 7 speed coming out the next model year. Which may come this year or next year to the US. The current DSG is faster than the stick, but for pleasure, stick only here.

16. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

670 miles total!? Where do you live? That's about 4 days driving around here.

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

NYC
    [​IMG]

;)

PMooney Jr. likes this.
  18. rogers1323

Nope, manual only here. I won't have a car that isn't, especially if it's supposed to be a fun car. Not to mention that the manual claims 2 mpg better highway mileage.

BigBird likes this.
  19. BigBird

BigBird blah

The clutch is the weakest link if you add power by tuning/flashing the ECU. It's fine for the stock power levels, but after tuning which can add another 50-70 lbs of TQ to the wheels it gets burnt out relatively quickly.

Just something to be mindful of.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

20. The most irrational car purchase I ever made was a 2008 Honda S2000 for the wife. I purchased a supercar, and my wife had a massive fit of envy, so we bought the roadster for her as a second car so she could have a sporty. She put less than 15k miles on it in 8 years of ownership :( Fortunately, since it was completely stock, barely driven, and garage-kept, and it's something of a collector's item, we were able to sell it last year for what we paid for it.

Boman Forklift and BigBird like this.