1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Investments

Discussion in 'General' started by Sheik Abdul ben Falafel, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Just curious as to Why?

The other one that came up in discussion here today was a pawnshop & firearms shop(s).

Assuming FFL paperwork is done prior to $5m being released for funding, they do a pretty good job.

2. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  3. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

Been down that road. I have family that only invests in tech as their source of income. I have bailed a few out, while others are doing great.
    It is very dependent on variables unlike some of the things mentioned here.

I wasnt looking to invest. I got my hands full. I just wanted to hear of some cool ideas that are out of the box.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If I had $5 Million to invest I'd invest in a beach house for myself, an A8 and IWC Big Pilot.

5. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

This isn't as easy as people think. Trust me when I tell you that there are a lot of losers in the tech world for every winner you see on inc or tech crunch.

It's literally a crap shoot most days.

6. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

what about the patek?

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I need to keep myself liquid. :D

8. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Plus a brazillion.

Again, David Tepper would be my bet. Not sure if 5M would open the door though.

9. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

remember, no hedge funds...way too easy of an answer....I got that covered.

10. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Probably not.

Tech is a gold rush for sure... it's feast or famine.

11. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Oh, trust me......I know. I'm still recovering from one.

12. Jed

Jed mellifluous

With a one year time horizon and only 5m then it's speculative at best.

Hell go to Vegas and put it all on black baby!

:D

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

/thread

:beer:

14. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Fixed that... ;)

15. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

No. This is a fuel for internal combustion engines. 99% less harmful emissions! no alcohol! no benzine or toluene! and can sit in a fuel tank for 5 years and not go bad. I have been selling it to small engine shops and motorcycle shops up here for a year now. I also run it in my mini. Awesome stuff, but it is expensive.

16. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

you can 1/5 profit within a year if you know what you are doing. :)

17. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I looked into this at one point. Margins on new guns are pretty slim, and the internet absolutely kills you. The money would be in the used ones. It's actually cheaper for me to buy a gun at Keith's or off gunbroker than it is for me to order in small volumes as an FFL.

Ended up just getting my C&R FFL for discounts on reloading supplies. That was definitely worth the 30 bucks and a couple of forms.

18. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Don't think that fits in the rules. Doesn't Appaloosa require a 3 year commitment of funds? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

19. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

10 chicks at the same time

20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I'm out of the loop, as I had not heard of David Tepper untill this thread. Interesting timing, as Tyler called me yesterday, while I was at work, with a hot stock tip. He wanted to invest $3,000 he has saved up from his job. The stock was at $16 when he first mentioned it to my wife a week ago, and it was at $60 yesterday. However, the bid was 50 and the ask was 70 and it was very thinly traded. I told him I though it was way too risky, but if he was willing to loose all that money, he could setup an Etrade account and go for it. As of last night he decided not to and will still follow it. In High School math last year they got to make fake portfolios. He selected Tesla and Chipotle and they both took off, and another one was bad, but he made a bunch of fake money.

Obviously Tepper requires larger investments, but it will be something interesting for us to talk about.

Regarding a towing service. A former mechanic used to be a tow truck driver. He told me many of the drivers are meth heads, as they have to work all kinds of weird hours and long shifts?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014