1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Investments

Discussion in 'General' started by Sheik Abdul ben Falafel, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Usual stupid shit - dump paint/ urine/ dye/ whatever into them.

That was quite a ways back. I remember some of them getting beat pretty bad for doing their stupid shit.

2. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

yeah I kind of forgot about your 1 year gamble err investment criteria :).

3. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Agree. Again, this was supposed to be a 1 year venture where you would turn a profit. If you're looking to start one, can't imagine being able to get through the DEP bullshit in less than a year. Even if you could, can't imagine getting to profitable status that quickly.

4. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Dude, where the eff did you live? I've never heard of such shit. You grew up in a real-live, city version of footloose.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

That was NYC, back before Dizney bought it and cleaned it up.

6. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Storage units would be where my money would be put. Though with only a 1 year turn around I'm not sure what if anything you could get that quickly. Or how easy it would be to sell a storage site.

I always knew storage was expensive but I stored stuff in a large unit for over a year and it was like $200 a month for a 10x20' space. So basically like $1 a square foot for climate controlled space. Not sure what the non climate controlled space cost but you figure the buildings are just cinder blocks and giant metal buildings. Nothing fancy at all. Everywhere you go people need storage and the overhead to run it can't be that high. Have 1 person working a desk from like 8-6pm. Add in a uhaul rental site for the location, and build it in a more suburban area to try and avoid dead beats. I think you'd have a winner!

7. dickie doo

Nah, we looked at the projected earnings for a smaller to mid size scrap business and it wasn't "get rich quick" by any mean. Plus you're always at the mercy of commodities values.

It was too much work/risk/govt. bullshit for the possible reward.

8. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

overhead is pretty high:
    takes a lot of land in premium location
    Insurance is crazy
    they usually hire somebody who lives on the property, so having to build a living space for that.
    those climate control units always break.

once it is set up and going, it gets pretty cheap to run though.

9. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Why is the insurance high? Because of risk of people not paying or risk of damaging people's stuff? I had to take out a renter's policy to cover my stuff that was in storage. Only cost like $10 or so a month.

And I guess I'm jaded about land. I live in the boonies but there's lots of land available where they are building and the storage units are all full. So land isn't an issue where I live. Understand the complexities of getting the place setup as nothing is quite as easy as it sounds. I've seen two things when it comes to living quarters on the property. I know one person who rented the apartment above the building and then the local place, the family that runs it lives there. Not sure if they own it but they definitely live there.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  10. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

You have 5 million to start. Iam sure you could find land and some machinery, and have enough left over to buy cars at 300 a ppeice and part them out for more then 10x your money..

11. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

some places only hires a couple or a family to work these places.

anyplace that stores anything will have a high insurance. especially if it near an urban area.

12. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Our auction company (we do commercial and agri machinery auctions) just sold some of those machines (lift, crusher, disposal).
    They add up.

Not one person mentioned a wrecker service and a tow compound...while it is not a year scheme...it is a great business. especially near a big city!

13. assjuice cyrus

Place here is starting a pick and pull. You go pull your own apart and its sold by the pound. They are so busy theve hired more help. This is one of the biggest scrape yards in ohio Id say. Talk to the guyys there that run it, say its going better then they could of imagined.

14. I'm not sure I've ever seen gutter punks do anything that actually made sense. :D

15. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

how much land does it sit on?

16. dickie doo

The ones near ATL are on 20+ acres and go as high as 200 acres.

Some nasty stuff in those cars. I found a jaw bone once... still had teeth in it.

17. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

It's a license to rape and pillage.
    Tow yard fees are very expensive here in PDX.
    Overhead is low(er) depending on the lot location

18. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

ya that is what i keep hearing.
    I want no part of that though.

19. assjuice cyrus

Iam not sure on the pick and pull.

20. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

I assume over 20 acres.