1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ice fishing

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Fished a solid 4 hours today, not much success. A few really tiny gills and a small spotted bass. Good news is the ice was fine, hopefully the temps later this week don’t screw it all up.

2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

No ice down here yet, but I'd bet some of the northern lakes we fish have 1-2", maybe more. Heading up to check them out this saturday.

Yesterday Dad and I started stripping down a tent trailer to build an ice hut on the frame. I'm going to build one with a ramp down in the back I can load the quad in. Drive to the lake, back the quad out and hook on and go.

3. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Scott....:( I thought you were a rider, not a sitter. You know us ice racers have a bit of an issue with ice fisherman (or at least with some). We'll plow out a track, put markers down, and have a guy come out and drill a hole right on the line. I'm surprised that more northern people on the Beeb aren't at least play riding on the ice. Have you given it a shot yet?

4. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Years ago I bought a set of Freddettes for my YZ250f supermoto bike, but I never even mounted them up. If I recall correctly we had an unseasonably warm winter and there was never really safe ice. I ended up selling the bike for some other race bike or project, can’t remember.

They still hold the races out on Koshkonong?

5. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Yes, though I've stopped doing the 3hour. Guess I'm getting too old for that craziness. Too many guys with fenders that come off, and the track gets brutal after the first hour. If you want to come mooch a ride sometime, feel free. My bike is like a $10 hooker...everyone has ridden her. I get about the investment though, given we can have years where you literally get one day of good ice. That's why I've got my old KLX...no need to upgrade, as it gets it done.

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

My rule of thumb was that whoever was there first, got dibs. If a fisherman came out and drilled a hole in my track, he sure as shit wouldnt be catching anything.

7. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

We even make sure we set up the track as far from the normal fishing areas as possible, but some of those guys are just itching to cause problems. Nothing like coming through a fast sweeper and hitting a 10" hole in the ice.