1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ice fishing

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Those drop down ice castles are nuts. A lot of dough sitting out there.

2. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Fishing by itself is meh, but the sound of the water, nature and crap to look at is half the fun when your drinking and basically doing nothing. Ice fishing? F that. Remove all the good stuff and only leaving sitting there basically doing nothing while getting drunk in the middle of nothingness is not my idea of a good time.
    Besides, I live in AZ. We don't have that crap here.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

And along comes Broome. smh

BigBird likes this.
  4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

You can spend $30-$40k without much effort. A lot of people are using them as campers/toy haulers now too.

5. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

That’s the secret behind the “house” ... it isn’t cold the entire time. ;)

BigBird likes this.
  6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Last year they were taping a "reality" ice fishing show in these parts called Ice Holes.
    Worse than watching golf.

7. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Completely agree, I know a bunch of guys that ice fish and I will never get it. I can drink beer anywhere, I don't need to sit in the cold and spend a bunch of money and time to do so.

8. In Your Corner

9. In Your Corner

10. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Anybody got safe ice yet? I’m all set and ready to go, but the weather has just started cooperating. The little local pond I hit when I only have an hour or two has 1.5 inches on it as of this morning. Walked it a little and drilled a couple holes, but it’s sketchy as hell. I’m hoping it’ll add an inch tonight, but overnight temps are only in the low teens. Was planning to hit it up tomorrow morning before the games start.

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

You're a braver man than I...

12. Scotty87

Or dumber.

It’s a shallow neighborhood pond, and I didn’t venture more than ten feet from shore. Tomorrow may be a different story...

13. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Monona Bay was loaded with people this morning when I drove by. It’s been frozen over for about a week and a half.

14. Scotty87

Damn really? That’s surprising.

I think the reason my pond has been a little sketchy is it’s creek fed and that water is still moving. Eagle (shallow-ish Racine county) has had 4+ for over a week

15. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Had guys out on the Fox River the weekend before Thanksgiving ... not 20 yards from open water. They’re not real bright in Oshkosh, but they’re dedicated.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  16. Sprinky

Lol. There’s always one yahoo set up in the Yahara channel by the beltline not more than 10’ from open water. Every damn year. I really don’t get it.

17. Sprinky

The water in the creeks are still quite high around here so there’s still higher then normal flow. Very little of those areas are frozen here yet. I expect this weekend will change that

18. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Exactly, I guess you wouldn't get it. It's something to do in the winter. It turns into a community out on the lake on a nice weekend. People socializing, fishing, some take their kids out there and mess around on snowmobiles and 4 wheelers. There are car ice races every Sunday.
    You don't have to spend a lot of money. We pull shacks off the lake every year that noone claims and resell them. We could use them if we wanted but don't really need them. If you're sitting in the cold, well you're just an idiot. :D Shack is way warmer than any house will ever be.

4+ so far. I think I heard a friend of a friend say he was on 5 on Winnebago.

19. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

That’s crazy to me. Rice was only at 2.

20. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Yea, I don't venture my ass out on any ice that isn't 12+ and known good areas. I've had close calls on sleds, and if it weren't me being on a sled I'd be swimming. I'm talking lost on a random lake in the middle of the night in whiteout conditions after riding all day. Saw the leaders tail light drop about a foot and it was gone after that, i swerved and pinned it and yup, all water after that, luckily we all knew the drill and made it back to where we started.