1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ice fishing

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Nov 26, 2018.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

It's amazing how much warmer a suitcase style house with a plastic floor is than pop ups where you are still standing directly on the ice. Not as convenient though.

2. Skrawny

Skrawny Well-Known Member

They make a insulated floor for the pop ups now, but I haven't tried it yet.

A couple of pieces of Styrofoam to put your feet on work pretty well, I've been out for hours in the below zero temps and stayed nice and warm with the big buddy heater going.

3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

How do you like that style hut compared to the ones that have a bottom and flip up? What is setup time like?

4. Skrawny

Set up is really easy and quick. Putting the anchors for a windy day and putting the snow around the edges takes longer.

I like these since I usually go by myself at night when the wife and kids are sleeping and I can fit the shelter, auger and the other stuff all in my sled. With the flip overs that I have been in you would need another sled to carry that stuff.

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

3 man size for 1 or 2 people works great and all your stuff fits in/on it.

6. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I prefer the flip up to the pop ups. Although one of my buddies has a huge pop up that we take up north sometime and it's great for fitting a bunch of guys in to get out of the wind. For just 2 guys (which is most of my fishing) though I prefer the flip up. My auger rides on top of the sled, and all my gear fits inside. Easy to pull out on the ice by hand, or with a skidoo/atv. I like being able to move, and it's much easier with a flip up. When we go up north for lakers though, we have our "spot" and the big pop up gets setup once for the weekend. This year we'll have a couple permanent huts out at 2 different spots, so I'll just be showing up with my gear on a sled.

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

so you go ice fishing, and you build house? so like camping with a ice ground? you don't see nothing but the fishing hole you created and your tent?

that don't seem like fun, and well being in the cold the entire time.

8. Skrawny

At
    At twice the price.
    I'm not a hole popper so I get to my spot and will stay there.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

Nothing wrong being second

10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

BigBird likes this.
  11. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I’ve been searching Craig’s and FB marketplace for the right used one because I’m not really sure what will suit my needs best so I don’t wanna buy new this year. I have several local ponds that I like to go hit quick for a couple hours for bass on open water, I was anticipating doing the same for gills in the winter. I’m not sure I would need a hut for that, but it would be nice and I really hate being cold. A small flip up seems like the right deal, just drag it out there with my auger on top and my gear in a 5 gallon bucket.

But I’ve never really ice fished so I could be way off.

12. Skrawny

If I was strictly fishing by myself I would have a flip over, but when I take Jr out its way nicer to have the extra room in it and have the extra space in my sled.

13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Drink beer, play cards, fish a little, shoot the shit, all in a days work to get away from the house and the kids and the wife. Even seen one or two with a satellite for TV.

BigBird likes this.
  14. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I'd go with a flip up if it's just going to be you most of the time. Still get a 2 man though if you can find one (assuming you're looking used) . The solo ones are just to cramped for my liking and it's tough to fish 2 lines out of them (I like running a still line and a jigging rod on the lakes I can run 2 lines). They are a bit easier to pull though, so that might be a concern, but a 2 man isn't really that much harder to pull. The pop ups can be difficult to setup when it's windy unless you have an extra set of hands.

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

This whole damn thread is absurd. Crazy mofos.

I can do all of that at Hooters complete with the fish. How did they get the dang satellite in the tent though?

BigBird likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Aiming a dish is easy.

And why the hell would you go to Hooters anyway? There are better bars than that!

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

I guess when it's that cold outside most of the chicks at the bar have beards, so I guess ice fishing is a decent choice at that point

Sent from my smatrfone

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

He didn't say dish. He said

[​IMG]

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Really big trailers behind the snowmobile.

Steeltoe likes this.
  20. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

@steeltoe I think you're underestimating what people will do for a good ice fishing shanty

Attached Files:

Steeltoe likes this.