1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I understand the run on the new consoles but..

Discussion in 'General' started by SirCrashAlot, Dec 21, 2020.

1. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Why are nerds grabbing up all the new GPUs? So they can play cyberpunk with maxed out settings? Was gonna build a new system but I guess I'll wait lol.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

They aren't. Most have gone to coin mining outfits.

beac83 likes this.
  3. SirCrashAlot

Interesting

4. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

The NVIDIA 3xxx cards are quite a leap in performance. The $699 3080 outperforms the $1500 Titan from last gen on almost everything except some synthetic and AI workloads.

5. SirCrashAlot

il_794xN.1904055555_2kx5.jpg
    See what you mean.

6. SirCrashAlot

Yeah... I get that but finding one under 1k is almost impossible.

7. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Is there such a thing as an external GPU for laptops, or you're stuck with what it came with?

8. SirCrashAlot

Naw... you can swap em out.

9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Scalpers bought a lot of stock too. And I wouldn't be surprised if production volume is still reduced because of the pandemic.

Its comically fucked up that all the retailers are totally fine with letting bots buy all their stock for scalpers and miners. Ticketmaster already has a solution for all this. They just dont care who buys.

A laptop with a Thunderbolt 3 port can use an eGPU (external GPU). Its a huge boost in performance for laptops that don't come with a discrete GPU. Its not cheap - buy a GPU and spend another $200-300 for an enclosure.

SirCrashAlot and RichB like this.
  10. SirCrashAlot

Yeah but they'll be old tech in 6 months. At least the consoles will be good for maybe 18 months before they start coming out with upgraded variations.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  11. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

This.

It's the single reason why I abandoned PC gaming in favor of consoles. At least you shit is up to date. My Xbox One is 5 years old and still working perfectly.

edit: I recently invested a whopping 20$ to get a 1TB external HD so I can install more shit.

Tj Hunter and SirCrashAlot like this.
  12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Wierd so is my 5 year old PC. If you build one with top tier components they are still superior to a console in all but one way. The console is easier for young kids to deal with.

Knotcher and beac83 like this.
  13. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

Ive gotten a 3080 and 3070 off zotac. 3080 is kinda noisy but kicks ass. 3070 is for my pops.

If you dont have a problem with zotac brand pm me and ill give you the scoop on how to get one.

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

A GTX1080 will still happily hang for modern gaming, the '6mo to obsolete' mantra was never true to begin with and is even less so these days. Sure, you can go console, and right out of the gate be behind the PC curve if you want.

15. SirCrashAlot

Console is stock street bike
    PC gaming rig motogp bike. That's how I look at it.

I haven't messed with mine in a long time. Still running a 3 660ti sli. Lol

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  16. SirCrashAlot

Never said it was obsolete.... but there are always new games and products that come out that use newer and different technologies. Like this ray tracing crap. Drivers can only get you so far.

17. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

You can also buy gpu standalone boxes. Your monitor connects through it and it.

The verdict is not to bother but if you have an older laptop that just needs more oomph in the video card dept, spending 500/600 bucks on one may be worth it.

RichB likes this.
  18. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Yea but that only matters if you’re trying to be on the bleeding edge. If you’re happy with same res as consoles, an older rig will run it fine.

I built mine 3 years ago for a grand. It plays cyberpunk on medium 1080p just fine.

19. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Yeah, but I paid 200$ for my used Xbox One. :D

20. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Release cycles for high end GPUs are not 6 months. There were 2 years between the RTX 2080 and 3080 and 1yr 4mon between the RX5000s and 6000s.

SirCrashAlot likes this.