1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I understand the run on the new consoles but..

Discussion in 'General' started by SirCrashAlot, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

A YouTuber did a ps4 vs ps5 graphics comparison.
    Honestly, it’s getting to the point that it’s now just splitting hairs and nerds circle jerking each other.

for the most part the two sides of the comparison screen looked the same.
    Maybe down the road when ps5 starts getting dedicated games it’ll change but meh.
    My 5+ year old ps4 does me just fine.

everyone’s so focused on graphics they forgot about the plummeting quality of games. Everything’s setup to micro transactions and dopamine “achievements” hits.

terminus est and cha0s#242 like this.
  2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

I just upgraded my PC in April...

I had a 2006 built Intel Q6600 on an Intel mobo with 4gb of ram. I did upgrade the GPU in 2012 or so to a Radeon 6870... 14 yrs doesn't seem bad but I wasn't trying to push the latest gaming, mainly FPS games.

3. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

well, duh.

4. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

I’m not getting a PS5 until either the new Gran Turismo comes out or Apex runs at 120fps. For me getting a new console is really about getting the bump in fps for FPS games. However, once they start to roll that out then I’ve got to get a new monitor (TV is relatively new, so not upgrading that) to handle the fps increase. At that point I may as well just get a cheapish gaming PC and connect a controller. [emoji30]

BigBird likes this.
  5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yeah, but what motivation do they have to fix it.

Everyone all the way up the supply chain is quite happy. All the units Sony/M$/NVIDIA built get shipped, all the units Walmart/Amazon/Best Buy/etc get bought. Not sure how quickly scalpers are selling units are their inflated rates, but who gives a rat's ass if they are happy.

Only people that are unhappy in this process are the end users who get stiffed and don't feel like paying $1000 for a $499 retail price item. End of the day I hope folks hold out and wait for stock to return in stores and scalpers get stuck with piles of consoles they can't sell anymore.

The manufacturers will DEFINITELY be happy if that happens as they'll end up building/selling 2x as many units as they might otherwise have lol.

BigBird likes this.
  6. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

On etsy? I thought etsy was only for handcrafted goods? Crafty stay at home moms are now soldering together video cards? For every video card purchase you get a free live, laugh, love sign :D

BigBird likes this.
  7. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Yeah... thought it was funny also. It even says handmade in the description.

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

same here. the PS5 release games are not that great. GT always does a great job on pushing the limits of the console, and pretty much the only game I play on the PS.

Rocket League is my go to PC game (as of last Thursday)

KrooklynSV likes this.
  9. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I've fully converted to PC/Steam because I'm tired of buying consoles and even buying the same game more than once over the years for diff platforms or devices, etc.

I'll likely get an Xbox once they're everywhere but I'm over PS after PS4 failed to even live up to the Xbox 360 in my opinion.

10. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I've never been a "day 1" consumer of consoles. I'm usually about a year 1 convert.

If the backwards-compatibility of the PS5 remains strong, I see myself picking one up around the summertime.

As mentioned before, not much in the realm of "must have" games available at the moment.......most of the good ones are just rehashes of PS4 games or your typical yearly sports titles with a minor graphics bump.

BigBird likes this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

I still have a PS3, PS4 Launch, and PS4 Pro in the house. I stopped with XBOX since the RROD

12. CBRGriff

CBRGriff Well-Known Member

If you want to get a 3080 it takes some dedication and a small piece of your sanity. I finally got one, but it took some doing.

Join a discord server and setup mobile notifications. The one that got me my 3080 is a group called "Snail Monitor". The Newegg alerts are free and that's what I used.

Then download the Newegg app on your Iphone and setup apple pay. This lets you buy in one click with face ID. If you don't have an iPhone then your chances just went down... a lot. I was actually able to get the card I wanted from the start (3080 Asus Tuf). My brother was also able to get a card using this same method.

https://imgur.com/a/ZqCRioo
    [​IMG]

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

You can register with EVGA and others to get in line for a card, and pay MSRP once your number comes up.

SirCrashAlot likes this.
  14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Same. I actually started and stopped there.

Although the new Xbox Series X/S are supposed to have backwards compatibility all the way to the first Xbox which is pretty admirable. Something PS should take note of. In fact you can even run an emulator on the Xbox to play PS2 games. Kind of sad the Xbox is better at PS backwards compatibility than the PS.
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/30/21734149/ps2-emulation-xbox-series-x-s-retroarch-support

Actually you can emulate a ton of stuff on it.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/703144/how-to-install-the-retroarch-emulator-on-xbox-series-x-or-s/

BigBird likes this.
  15. BigBird

BigBird blah

Nobody wants to play old games

~sent from mobile

16. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I do, because they usually become free (or sub $5) after 10 years.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  17. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Yeah those were not fun times on the Xbox but I did get mine repaired fast at least.

18. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

I have 4 ps4 consoles in my spare room. They were given to me to repair because they would shut off after just a few minutes. After opening the case on the first one a foul stench greeted my nose and almost made me gag. It was packed full of fucking dead roaches. So much so that the airflow was blocked. The other ones.... same way. I cleaned them and wiped the drives. Good as new. I'm going to donate them to someone. Dude I got them from already has two more so he told me to do whatever with them.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

if you get the playstation now for $60/year you can play any old-ish game you want

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps-now/

20. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

You got any ps4 slims?