1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I met a 'Racer' yesterday.....

Discussion in 'General' started by SpeedyE, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Jed

Jed mellifluous

My only claim is that I was a rolling road block to a 12 year old GG at Tally. I still remember him looking at me while passing on the inside with a confused expression on his face. His young mind couldn't comprehend how a grown up could be so damn slow and not fall over.

2. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for Frank Kinsey, I would never have started racing. He did a "no brakes" school at Moroso that was like $400 for the day, and that was in '98. Pat Weekly was there and he told me you can practice all day on Saturday for $75 if you sign up for a race on Sunday (CCS). So it wasn't long before I was lining up at the back. Pretty soon I was like hey- I think I can pass this fucker ahead of me....and the hook was set.

I've been lucky enough to get some good photographic evidence over the years. I beat PJ Jacobsen when he was 12 on a 125 and I was on my Ducati 1000DS He was an amateur he worked his way up from the 2nd wave and was giving me fits on the last lap. I have a pic of Jake Zemke passing me at Barber, but in the photo it just looks like he's behind me. I had him autograph it for me, of course. Eslick came to Homestead for the December or February CCS round one year, he pulled out of the 600 race at the last minute (probably so he didn't screw up the locals contingency) so my name is right ahead of his on the results. Now I'm hoping one of these kids from Twins Cup makes it to MotoGP, so I can dig up one of the many pics I have on track with them.

The whole guys claiming to be racers thing is funny, it has happened at least a dozen times, usually starts with someone trying to impress my wife by telling her they are a racer- after I explained to her that most of them are track day riders, she knows what questions to ask so I don't even have to enter the conversation. It's worse now, when everything is for show online- numbers on the bike, name and patches all over the leathers, etc.

Whatever, let them have their fun. We need more people riding and buying bikes so I don't really care.

3. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

LoL! I got a sweet vintage r- 6 !
    This season and Covid have kicked me in the berries!
    I'm lined up for 2022!! God Willing

SpeedyE likes this.
  4. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

My best pro racer racing experiences were when I beat Jake Holden in one of those saturday afternoon end of track day "races" (his shift lever fell off with 2 laps to go but before that was leading by a huge margin) and I've been lapped many times by a 12-year old Tyler Scott on an NSF250. I have a picture from NJMP where it looks like I'm stuffing him on the inside, I think in turn 3b, but he's actually going around the outside while lapping me. He was probably like 4'8" at the time lol Regardless of how far some of these fast young guys make it in racing, I'll always remember the great and fun experiences and sharing the track during races with guys like Mesa, Zayat, Landers, Gloddy, Scott, Limandri, Rodio, Jody Barry, and others.

Gino230 and SpeedyE like this.
  5. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I forgot about the time I had a fast teammate for the Team Challenge in Daytona, we got 3rd in Middleweight in 2017. I rode the last 20 laps and when I came in they were directing me to the podium- along with Debise and Robertino Pietri (they were running it solo in preparation for the 200) That was a fun time. Mesa used to come by me sideways on purpose at Homestead when I first started riding the 600. He would give me this casual look back before turning it in. Meanwhile I'm riding with all I got!

I've always been a fan of the sport, alot of those encounters are what kept me motivated to push harder and get faster over the years. One thing the Twins Cup has taught me is that no matter your age or talent level, you can always do more than you think.

sbk1198 and 5axis like this.
  6. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel better, me as a racer, Jake Lewis blew the doors off me at Roebling about ten years ago. Jake is fast.

7. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

TLDR: the jury finds that you are a Racer.

8. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone that loved racing more than you. I’m rooting for you to get back out there.

9. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

I'll be out there too, jack :beer:

10. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I’ll never forget being 2nd to Zayat near the end of the first lap of a gnf race years ago. I was so calm and collected. I said to myself “ok, you’ve held on to him this long, put your head down and reel him back in.” Then, exactly one half of the field proceeded to pass me. It was not my favorite race.

Gino230 and sbk1198 like this.
  11. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Man, I think you’re a true badass and it warms my heart to know you’re out there riding again after all your setbacks the last year or two. I’d love to hear of you gridding back up again if you were healthy enough for it.

12. SpeedyE

Thank you Beeb/Wera Brother.
    I got nothing left (financials, health, normalcy, nervous system) , except trying to ride good/smooth/smart/fast again, until the bear comes back to finish me off, maul me too death. ... many physical challenges ahead.
    When I woke up out of surgery, they had severed my shoulder (brachial packs?, nerve packs), shoulders were paralyzed. They said wiring cut, no fix. My friend/chiropractor said severed, no fix.
    I tied ropes to my wrists and tied to banister everyday, forced, pain, forced, pain, lifted my arms/shoulders like a marionette puppet, etc... 13 months later, 1 week ago, I would hold a full coffee cup and lift it, place it into microwave w/out the assistance of my left hand under my right elbow, without spilling, with momentary control.... I will street-ride this year, I will do TD's early 2022 for strength/muscle memory/smoothness, and then do vintage race(ing).... and see if I ever pilot a big bike again. Its not over till your dead... im not dead yet :)
    The stroke f'd me up really bad too.... ehhhh :(

I made a 1/6th throttle for my 1000, to force throttle control, twitchy 1/6 throttle, razorblade, to force my stroke hand to micro manage :) I couldnt open a water bottle, gatorade bottle no matter how hard i tried, 2 months ago. Now I finally can :)

I do not have the strength to stand up w/ the weight of full leathers on me, for more than a few minutes. I rode last weekend w/ the locals, w/ leathers, their 2nd tier fast guys, kept up w/ them on their backroads (R1's /etc, ), until my body would completely shut down/off, and I had to pull over and lay in grass.

I am doing mad/controlled wheelies on my 06/1k rewiring my stroke hand ... :blart: I am FIGHTING EVERYDAY!
    I will be back :beer:
    GodBless :bow::clap::bow:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  13. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

You are truly an inspiration. Seriously, not many can overcome the difficulties you’ve been dealt. That said, I took about 18 months off from racing because my neurologist said I was a threat to my fellow racers. I’m not sure where you’re at, but I’ll cover your first weekend back racing, only if you think you are well enough to do so. You can’t be a burden to your fellow racer. But, if it’s just money keeping you away, I’ll gladly cover it for that weekend.

14. SpeedyE

Thank you brother.
    I'm no danger to anyone....not even myself. I am still smooth as glass, predictable, I radiate my intentions/movements... Im just weak/slow/rusty.
    I'm at 5%, and I would decimate an I-group right now for 3 laps, before I pull over and lay on tarmac in paddack, lol.
    Ya'll think Im nutz cause I post crazy/personal stufff... Im far from nutz.... Im goofy, but not nuts. More sane than half the people behind their closed doors...I leave my doors wide-open, for all to see, lol
    I never been a danger to anyone on track, and never will be. If I was, I wouldn't ride.
    I'm fighting finite control, Pain, weakness, fatigue, muscle-memory.... I'll be back... :) <3 :)

Ps: after they told me I had death cancer, my brain instantly started firing 100% again.... the doctors had all been correct, all my nuero issues were from abuse/terror, not impacts/organic... Thank God.
    My brain is 100% again... God Bless. My body is smoked though, lol.
    I believe most people would have smoked themselves when I got defrauded out of my life's work, smoked themselves w/ the cancer/surgery/radiation/etc, smoked themselves w/ the stroke in the middle of it all.... and much more than i share. I eat through a tube surgically installed in my stomach...not being able to eat is quite a small thing, yet must be mentally strong to survive it. My tongue is made out of my wrist and forearm.
    Most people would have hung themselves, by now... I am TOUGH as CONCRETE!

Fight1.JPG

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  15. Thanks, i appreciate that. :beer:

16. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Some would argue that I haven't reached 35 yet....mentally....:D

SpeedyE and rd400racer like this.
  17. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Woo Hoo! Validated... :D

Gino230 and SpeedyE like this.
  18. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

Speaking of racing , it was great Sharing a grid with you this weekend and you sir haul ass , and your other 2 amigos are rippers too .

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Lee?

Buell1965 likes this.
  20. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

Man sorry bout that , it was this past wknd and yes it was lee I was referring too , my apologies .