1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I met a 'Racer' yesterday.....

Discussion in 'General' started by SpeedyE, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Nailed it.

SpeedyE likes this.
  2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I basically liken it to be a weightlifter at the local gym (trackday)

vs

throwing on a speedo, oiling up and flexing on stage in front of judges (racer)

mattys281 and SpeedyE like this.
  3. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

My actual racing time was a pretty short window. My Stepdad had raced professionally in his youth (raced on the beach at Daytona among other things) and wanted to get a little chance to try again with some of the new bikes (namely the new GSX-R in '86). I went with him to every race, and took the Keith Code school out in California while on a business trip (Laguna Seca!) and decided to give it a try.

Did the new rider school with Frank Kinsey (RIP) at Moroso and then shared the race bike with my stepdad. He rode the expert classes and I rode the novice. We could split the cost. There really weren't trackdays back then (that I was aware of anyhow), and Jennings and homestead weren't there yet either. So, it was mostly Moroso (now PBIR) and occasionally Gainesville (at the drag strip) and Tampa (at the fairgrounds). With a race twice a year at Daytona.

I always regret that I never got the opportunity to race at Daytona. But either my body or the bike was always broken at the time of those few races we had there.

Never was fast, but really enjoyed it. Did trackdays for a while, and enjoyed them. Nothing against them, and I would like to do a few someday in the future. The logistics at the time just made it tough. It did allow me to get on another track outside of the state though (Barber).

I don't want to get into the trackday/racing argument, because I think both have their place. But, having done both, I would definitely say there was a difference. Track days never put me in the same place mentally as an actual race. For someone who hasn't done both though, trackdays probably feel like racing to them.

When I was more into cars in my younger days, there were guys then who would street race with some mostly stock car they had and pretty much thought they were Don Garlits.

G2G, dtalbott, BigBird and 1 other person like this.
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. mattys281

mattys281 Banned

I raced a dozen or so times in the ccs southwest when they had it. Was too broke to make a habit out of it, but I got to ride a couple of the tracks at firebird and button willow. I got a shoe box somewhere with a few of those little wood plaques they used to hand out.

just went to the Ca Superbike school this last week. I don’t know what I used to be, but after two days of their coaches blowing by me like I was in reverse, I’m dam sure not a ‘racer’ anymore.

dobr24 likes this.
  6. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

To the OP's point, yes it is annoying to hear track day riders and drivers (I raced cars for several years, in addition to bikes before and after) saying they "race". Ah no, you ride/drive on a track; big difference! I think they probably have small penises.

ToofPic, Gorilla George and SpeedyE like this.
  7. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I resemble that remark, the second part...hahaha!

dtalbott and SpeedyE like this.
  8. Fucker :crackup:

Phl218 likes this.
  9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Why do I have it in my head that you're 35 years old?:D

10. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Lots of people tell fish stories. That won't change no matter the generation or the hobby. At least with racing these days, timing and scoring is on the internet. So its pretty ez to call out bullshit... if you care that much about conversations with strangers.

SpeedyE and Gino230 like this.
  11. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

When I started in 83 with WERA , there weren’t any track days , if you wanted to be on a track .. You Raced ..

bitorius, G2G, SundaySocial and 4 others like this.
  12. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Hell yes there is. You wanna race some fucked out 125 chinese yard bikes? I'm in. I don't care if it isn't "good for the gram" or whatever.

Social media has massively amplified poseur behavior.

13. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

YUP!
    That's what I always say/said... You wanted to be on a track? You Gridded up and raced! Sink or swim. You figured it out, or you didnt.
    It was called a "Race"track for a reason.

we seen our first roadrace in late 1985... by summer 1986 we were 'Corner Marshaling' in the burning sun, and dreaming of owning/racing a sportbike in WERA <3

motoracer1100 and ToofPic like this.
  14. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

From Daddy's Cup by Drive-By Truckers

Well, the first time that I raced my qualifying was a shame
    I started out way in the back and came back about the same
    Pulled her in the pit, couldn't look my Daddy in the eye
    He said "If you quit now son, it's gonna haunt you all your life"

See it ain't about the money or even being number one
    You gotta know when it's all over, you did the best you could've done
    Knowing that it's in you and you never let it out
    Is worse than blowing any engine or any wreck you'll ever have

backbone, Sprinky, mattys281 and 4 others like this.
  15. Phl218

Phl218 .

The only time it’s ok to be race-ist is when trackday peeps claim to be racers

16. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Vella/WebCrush had to pull out of last place, to pit, to take a pee in a johnny on the spot.... not worth rejoining the fray.... Only me and Putter (RIP <3 ) Remember.

dtalbott likes this.
  17. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if he did one of those ZARS 4-lap lunch-break races for people without a race license that's supposed to be just for fun. They've had those for years at their track days and they do give out some small prizes (like up to $50 or something like that). Still a track day though and hardly a claim to be a racer. No self-respecting racer would ever claim to be the fastest guy in intermediate group and make up some BS about having the fastest speed trap when it's not even being measured! LOL

But yeah, I've had a couple of similar conversations in the past, and depending on my mood I either nod my head and say "uhuh...coooool", or start asking a bunch of questions to make him realize that he's bragging to the wrong person and school him on being a racer vs having done one track day once.

18. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Yep!!!!
    Who TF! Knew what a track day was?!! If you were lucky Wera held an open Friday practice!
    I remember practice with Nicky and Tommy on my 400,and they were the Flying Fleas.
    I also remember a long hair hippie still in high school named Aaron Yates.
    Jamie James,a baby Josh Hayes with Grant Lopez.
    Everyone knew these guys were badasses,but damned if I Ever grabbed a fuggn camera to save those moments.
    I just last night was looking at some of my finishes on the CCS sight,and was proud of what I have done and who I shared the track with.

Gino230, Gorilla George and SpeedyE like this.
  19. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

You're welcome. That's why you should get a Ninja 300 so we can pretend it's 1994.

ToofPic and Jed like this.
  20. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Was fun back then. All those guys in the pic were great guys except that dolt in the yellow.:D

Quite a few guys from back then I wish were still around at BHF. Ike Anderson, Kevin Gordon, Chris Weeden, Shay Brill, Paul James, Dave Ebben and probably a whole lots more I cant think of right now.

SpeedyE likes this.