1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am Fred Sanford

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Metalhead, Apr 26, 2013.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

For what? I have a whole workshop full of crap:D

What happened is that I bought a bare FZ600 swingarm when I first thought about doing the conversion and 2 weeks later I found a totally complete swingarm....so I bought it too!

2. grahamsn

grahamsn Well-Known Member

After much Googling, I came to the same conclusions about using a GS500 carrier to properly center the Katana wheel in the FZR swingarm (the Katana swinger has quite an offset in comparison to the straight FZR unit). I wish you'd made your above post earlier! Would have saved me quite a bit of research.
    My rough measurement shows that the GS500 carrier will move the entire wheel assembly over by about 18mm. Won't you have to add a spacer of the same dimensions to the brake caliper side, in combination with the Katana spacer, to take up the slack?

3. charles

charles The Transporter

I gots to know what you have there in your 'A' garage facility for Yam RZ350's.
    And what are you going to do with the FZ600 swingarms?

4. rd400racer

The complete swingarm is going on the RZ. The bare swinger is up for grabs (I paid $115 for it on Ebay).

As far as RZ parts, I have a few that I've taken off the bike for the conversion, pretty much the entire front and rear ends. Not sure what I want to get rid of until I finish the bike but if you need something in particular let me know.

5. charles

charles The Transporter

?? I'm puzzled by your '18mm' measurement...

I am using a 2006 Katana wheel (1998-2006 series of rear wheels) and a 2006 GS500 sprocket carrier, which of course fits right into the wheel. Get the Katana wheel RH axle spacer. Get the GS500 sprocket carrier (LH) drum retainer and LH axle spacer. Now then, using the FZ600 caliper mount, the entire wheel assembly goes right in snug...I did mention that there could be either a 1mm or a 2mm 'offset' on the left of the swingarm, which means you use a 1mm or a 2mm spacer on the left side and the rear wheel should be centered. Depending on the amount of 'offset' on your swingarm, you may have to trim off 1mm or 2mm from the FZ600 caliper mount or RH axle spacer.

6. rd400racer

Charles, I do want to give you a big thumbs up.

I researched the FZ600 conversion for some time. There are about 5 different sites that you can go to and they can't explain what to do for crap.

Your explanation is simple and completely logical. I have pretty much pushed this project to the side because everything else I read said that you need to take the FZ swingarm to a machine shop blah, blah, blah.

I think it is about time for me to get back on her! (the bike that is)

7. grahamsn

I haven't bolted everything up to take my measurements. However, it's my understanding that the GS500/Katana/FZR all have the same total wheel assembly width (from the outer spacer face on the left to the outer face of the caliper mount on the right). The Katana has an offset swingarm, while the GS500 and FZR are essentially straight. Pic of the Katana swingarm below:
    [​IMG]
    I know that when I did briefly mock up the Katana wheel (with the original Katana sprocket carrier) in the FZR swingarm, the wheel was noticeably off-center to the right.
    Below is a picture of a GS500 carrier next to a Katana carrier. The GS500 unit is 18mm "shorter" than the Katana one, with the internal spacer shortened the same amount (ignore the custom spacers in the foreground in the pic). Doesn't this result in there being an 18mm gap on the right side between the wheel spacer and the caliper mount? I could be missing something that should be entirely obvious. Wouldn't be the first time.

[​IMG]

8. grahamsn

I think I've muddied the waters here by assuming that the FZ600 and FZR600 swingarms are the same. It looks like the FZ arm is about 3/8" narrower than the FZR600 arm. Sorry for any confusion.

9. charles

charles The Transporter

Well, here's the thing: if you are doing street riding, then you can make the FZR swinger work, but if you're planning to go racing, then the FZR swinger will not work...I just went through all of this with a recent acquisition of a very nicely prepared RZ350 with FZR600 swingarm (with custom adjustable 'dogbones'). Let me know if you would like some details.

10. charles

charles The Transporter

Yes, you will need some machine shop work on the pivot area- the pivot tube needs to be milled down in order to fit into the RZ frame. But it is no big deal,
    it is easy to do, just let me know if you need specifics.

11. grahamsn

Thanks for the offer. This is actually for a Katana wheel (happens to be the same as first gen SV650) swap on an FZR400 racebike, so I'm not sure how relevant the RZ tricks will be.

12. rd400racer

Will do, thanks Charles.

This is the site that I had been using :

http://www.scooterhelp.com/RZ_help/upgrades/rear.end/rear.end.main.html

13. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Bro Chuck and your deviant 2 stroke henchmen,
    Leave the poor Metal(crack)head alone. It is never too late to throw off the shackles of the 2 stroke Satan spawn and come back to the light of 4 stroke Nirvana. I believe the sound you hear in your head is that of one piston slapping. However, based on where he is in his project, I think he is safe because it is doubtful it will ever run and certainly not long enough to cause permanent damage.

But, back to the topic at hand, I have 3 FZ600s and could probably be convinced to pull the rear off of one. I think I may have one that is all set up with an F2 wheel already mocked up. I am not sure what the spacer set up on it is at the moment, it could be a mock up or it might have finished spacers, I forget. I could be talked out of it.

Ken

14. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I could be talked out of it.

Ken[/QUOTE]PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.....PUHlllllllllllllllllEASEEEEEE.......let me talk you out of one. I have some money, not alot, but some.:clap::D

15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

What are the pieces called that keep the crank and transmission shafts from walking side to side? They fit in those grooves. Thanks.

16. charles

charles The Transporter

I send you a PM and no response! am I a potted plant about these things? I'll have you to know I was tuning my Bantam before you were born.

17. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Calm down chaz....I got you plugged in as lead instigator on this project. I got your E-mail adress and I will be sending you MANY stupid questions to answer.:D:D:D

lol

18. charles

charles The Transporter

Don't ever call me 'chaz' again.

I'm just trying to keep you from the clutches of the diabolical Jeepers Creepers guy, Ken...he only comes out every now and then to claim some poor soul...next thing you know, you're rattling and clanking towards moto-oblivion, having to spend all of your God-given hours grinding cams, adjusting tappets, and oiling up primary chains.

19. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

lmao:crackup:

20. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Metalhead,
    I will be back to my bikes in about 2 weeks so I can remember which FZ600 is which and which one I might take apart. I need the engine for a spare and I have some ideas for the frame, so the rear end might be available. I'll see.
    Are you going to Mid-Ohio? If not, you should. I mean it, you really need to be there. I am not kidding about it at all.

Bro Chuck,
    Lay off your weak attempts at two stroke conversion. The metalheaded dude is currently racing a 4 stroke. I am not converting anybody, he is already one of the chosen. He may have made many poor choices in life, but starting out his racing career on a 2 stroke plug fouling, mung drooling, piston seizing death trap was not one of them.

Have a nice day,
    Your pal,
    Ken