1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am Fred Sanford

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Metalhead, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Here's most of the motor painted. Also, look how nice the front caliper pistons cleaned up. They were totally siezed.

Attached Files:

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I can't give you any grief. You're way ahead of my progress and I've been at it longer!

Maybe you said earlier, but is this bike for street or race?

3. charles

charles The Transporter

Yea, good question: street or race? there are good reasons for the inquiry.

And don't permit, not even for one brief moment, the dangling diesel claws of Brother Ken to sink into your 2-stroke psyche...he can only dream of mounting a ferocious, well-tuned 2-Stroke machine, and has relegated himself to the 'also-rans' for eternity..plunking, chugging, rattling, grinding, and leaking along through the ages in a superficial quest for speed, power, and victory, all three of which he knows full well reside in the house of the conqueror 2-stroker.

Rest now, Brother Ken...Metalhead is far beyond your tenacious grip now, as can be evidenced by his lavish attention to various and sundry items on this bike..you will not reel him back in...he has crossed over into the Dark Side.

4. DonDDR

DonDDR Well-Known Member

To chime in on you RZ guys, I work for a Yamaha dealer and the service manager is a long time Banshee fiend. I bet you guys are very happy the motor was put in that quad, the availability and aftermarket following of parts is very good. Keeps those bikes alive much longer than w out the Banshee support.

5. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Wouldn't it be better to get the "motor" running first...??? :D

6. charles

charles The Transporter

Correctomundo.

7. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Well RD and Charles, I'm just trying to get the bike running for starters. I've never done anything like this 'mechanic-wise', and I want to try and make it work. It's not gonna be a race bike, and if by some strange miracle I do actually get it running, for a while I'll just tinker around on it on backroads learning how the thing works. If I end up being sucessful with it, I'll tear it all back down and do it right. It's just a project that's all.

Oh yeah....I gave $500 for all of it and I'm determined to clean and make every part I have work. If not, then I'll have to find some used parts. I'm trying to get it running on the street for under 1k.

I take donations. I'll prepare a 'parts needed' post soon.:D

8. rd400racer

Metal, I may have some parts if you need them. While you have it apart, you might want to trick it out a bit. I just bought a complete R6 front end for my RZ for $400. All I need to finish is a bearing kit from Allbalz. Very simple swap. On the rear I'm doing the tried and true FZ600 swingarm with probably a Katana 600 rear wheel. Not quite as simple a swap but there is plenty of advice online. Toss in an R6 or F4i shock to finish it up and you can mount modern 17" rubber.

Also a little frame bracing doesn't hurt.

I got my tips from our great friend Joe.

9. charles

charles The Transporter

Refining those 'tips' a bit: try a 2003-2006 Katana 4.5 X17 rear with a GS500 sprocket carrier (don't forget to get the GS500 spacers on the sprocket carrier side and the Katana spacer for the caliper side)...given the usual 1mm or 2mm 'offset' to the left side of the FZ swingarm, you might need a a 1mm or a 2mm spacer there...use the OEM FZ600 caliper mount and you should be good to go....again, for racing- to get a suitable ride height- you will need to use the OEM FZ600 relays (dogbones) and a modified (shortened) OEM RZ350 relay arm, which you can source from RZ's Unlimited in CA...the R6 or F4i shocks are okay for street riding, but insufficient length for racing...hope this helps.

10. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

What?

11. rd400racer

Good points....thanks Charles.

12. charles

charles The Transporter

What what?

13. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

:D

Other than stuff for the motor, the rear wheel/swingarm is a MAJOR sticking point. I'm going on what my buddy told me from memory......FZ600 swingarm (milled down correctly), FZ600 wheel with a GS500 cush drive. I have two axles with it, and they measure 17mm and 20mm. Neither one works.

14. charles

charles The Transporter

Forget the FZ600 wheel...you will find your FZ600 17mm axle will slide very neatly into the Katana wheel (as given) and GS500 sprocket carrier...are you saying the 17mm axle doesn't slide right into the GS500 sprocket carrier? It should.

15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Sprocket carrier is ok. Wheel.....not so much.

16. charles

charles The Transporter

So...once again, the Katana wheel I mentioned is relatively inexpensive (try EvilBay), and with the GS500 sprocket carrier...SHAZAAM! right on into the FZ600 swinger like shit through a tin horn! Why knock the rock? :D

17. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Will be lookin.:up:

18. charles

charles The Transporter

PM sent, let's not bore everyone to tears...

19. rd400racer

I do have a spare FZ600 swingarm.

20. charles

charles The Transporter

What else do you have?