1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurricane Florence

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Morning run has her as a TD by the time it hits the Piedmont. Last night it was a TS at that point. If you're heading to Vir this weekend I wouldn't worry too much.

But it's gonna suck for Fayettenam. Everything down there is flat and a lot of it is low income old homes and mobile homes. Morning track has it as Cat 1 in that area. Only saving grace is the military presence at Bragg might ease recovery efforts. That area is also flood prone.

2. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

My brother is in Wilmington, and will be heading to Asheville to beat the traffic in the event it gets super wet/windy.

Hope everyone stays safe.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Let me be the first to propose a new name for our resident weathe guy here..... either Al Roker or even better Willard Scott.

And Fayettenam could use a good washing. I'm sure it hasn't gotten much better in the 20 yrs I've been gone

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Lol I was a catastrophe adjuster for several years. We make a living off the weather. :p I think Omatter is in the business.

omatter34 likes this.
  5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

I call BS. Many was the time when the weather went south and the skies opened up at JGP I watched you ride in the rain.
    Don't waste all that hard earned wet riding knowledge go unused mudda focker. Show 'em how it's done. :beer:

MELK-MAN likes this.
  6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

For sure, used to love racin in the rain Dan as you know. Won an Ulimited gp shootout on the r6 at JGP in the rain. but that was many moons ago :) Not sure if i got smarter, or just became more of a pussy .. LOL !

Sabre699 likes this.
  7. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

JGP had grip for days in the rain, well except for the river in 14

MELK-MAN likes this.
  8. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

I'll go out on your bike, so you can keep your reputation. i just cannot guarantee the same results.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  9. SOFG2

SOFG2 Well-Known Member

Closing Columbia, SC down as we speak! All I-26 lanes will be West bound by tomorrow afternoon. Schools closed. It might rain. Gov. issued mandatory evacuation of all of the coast.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're screwed if they do and screwed if they don't so may as well err on the side of keeping the idiots safe.

stk0308 and MELK-MAN like this.
  11. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I just read that the newest observations put Flo as a cat 4. :(

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I finally decided to pick up a generator to run the fridge, a fan and a blender. Come Wednesday, there won't be one within 100 miles on Augusta.

13. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I'm thinking that Hatteras Island will get cut into pieces and that most of Nags Head will flood, and a bunch of cottages / houses end up either in the ocean or on their stilts in the breakers. If that think hits south of Cape Lookout the whole of the Outer Banks are going to get the onshore flow. Pea Island will get chopped to pieces.

Link to webcam showing surf at one of the piers --http://surfchex.com/cams/nags-head-web-cam/

kangasj likes this.
  14. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Now they are talking about a possible cat 5.

If you're in it's path, get out!

15. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Some clown with a surfboard will show up there tomorrow.

notbostrom likes this.
  16. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

That’s just Bodhi. It’s cool, though. Johnny Utah will be along shortly to pick him up.

stk0308 and BHP41 like this.
  17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Possible cat 5, but eyewall replacement cycle will be due, and vertical wind shear will increase as the storm approaches the coast.

Those two are both good for lowering the absolute highest intensity, but they are both BAD for spreading the storm out and increasing the area of hurricane force winds.

18. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

After bombarding my daughter with videos of hurricanes and their aftermath, and explaining to her what storm surge is, she's leaving tomorrow morning with her 'dude' and going inland to Greensboro where his parents live.

Last evening, the local stores around Wrightsville Beach, were sold out of essentials, according to her.

I asked her if she's seen what a 150 mph tornado can do in less than a minute....I then asked her if she could imagine the damage from a tornado that lasted for 6 hrs.

stk0308 and Gorilla George like this.
  19. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i mean... he's not gonna paddle to new zealand man...

20. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Mandatory evacuations for all non residents here. Every gas station is out. I filled my van up this morning just in case I have to leave. Forgot the friggin can for the generator. Hopefully some will get a shipment before Wednesday.