1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much does it actually cost to grid up and race?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by eggfooyoung, Jan 13, 2011.

1. talber8

talber8 Well-Known Member

I don't add them either when I'm trying to justify my weekend budget =)

Unfortunately its still cash out flow for the weekend. I dont' drink as much Gatorade, bottled water, and RedBull if I was on my couch all weekend.

I actually bring Gallons of water and use a metal water bottle. It packs up easier in my car then a case of bottles, cheaper, and it cools down quick in the cooler

2. STEEZO

STEEZO Well-Known Member

Thank you! It was a great experience and I'll definitely be out there again...good point on the food costs.

3. BuiltforSin

BuiltforSin In the grass

Great info guys! Thanks.

4. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

From NYC to VIR it cost me around $1,200. That's about $400 in gas for the truck, $30 for gas for the bike, $290 in entry fees (1 solo and 3 sprints), $20 gate fee, $15 paddock power fee, $50 for food/beer (would have to buy it anyways at home), $30 for dinner Saturday night, $60 in tolls and I bought a set of rain tires for $350.

The rain tires are good for a while so to me that is a one-off expense. I do need new DOTs and they run $375 a set so it's about a wash.

I sleep in my trailer, like others have said the pit is awesome at night. Pool together with some buddies for food to grill and it beats out a hotel.

VIR was around 1,000 mile round trip for me which is why gas was so high. I usually ride down with a friend too which goes a long way to cut costs but it didn't happen this time.

5. davis2480

davis2480 Blake Davis's dad #122

Next time if you need to cut cost don't do it in the gas for the bike section. :Poke:

6. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Like I said at the track no way am I ever living that one down. I expect to see t-shrits at Summit :D

7. triplestack3

triplestack3 Early Retirement

I am racing on "by the skin of my nuts" budget... $800/weekend
    Tires and entry fees ~500
    Friday practice $100
    Gas ~$100
    Gate fees + camping $50
    *Food/Ice/Water/Beer $50

This is all on a mostly stock SV650, with 2 races+practices.

*I count this as an expense because normally I do not buy beer, ice, or the same types of food outside of race weekends. If I stay home, I don't buy those kinds of items.

8. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

Lightweight bike, arriving Friday night

Licence (one time annual cost) $100
    Tires (good for up to 3 weekends) $400
    Entry Fees (upto three classes per weekend, no solos) $195
    Gas (from Columbus, OH to Grattan using my Element) $120
    Gate fee w/ camping $30
    Gas for bike $30
    Food $40-$50

9. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

I think that location to the track plays a huge role in how much you're going to spend.
    My 2nd year running V7 at Jennings (at the time 94 miles from door to track) I could get away with $450 a weekend w/ 3 classes.
    for someone new coming in i could see
    110 license
    100 riders school
    195 entry fee 3 classes
    100-200 for take offs (i know when i started i got them from Stickboy for $100 which was great for getting out there and racing)
    60 transponder rental
    20 gate fee
    fuel to the track varies from person to person and vehicle to vehicle
    camp at the track saves lots of money.
    so race stuff looking at $565 or so.

10. exfix

exfix Well-Known Member

I just signed up for a weekend
    365 race fees (sv classes)
    35 camping.
    60 in gas
    125 for the race practice day
    75 gas to get to the track

I guess you could average tires since I just spent a bunch on NTECS and 209s
    I will likely have GMD check my geometry after offing it last season too.

11. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

This thread is actually getting to good core info. A recall of the the costs directly after the race weekend is how you closely calculate the cost. Good work.

12. joec

joec brace yourself

i take 350-400 to the track for the weekend. usually gets me in, food, 3 entries, gas, beer....and usually some snacks on the way home. no tires for vintage bikes. no warmers. transponver will cost ya an extra 60. summit is 80 miles from my house. so.....its an easy trip.

13. vance

vance *

This year was gonna be my year off, but Beer and Tuna (not the foods) dragged me back into it. I put this together last night for 2012.
    Lots of room for reductions here, but this it what will be required for me to ENJOY myself, which is the point, I think.
    The goal is to get my white plates next year.
    Two races each Sunday (DSB and Clubman)
    Solo on Sat because it's only slightly more than paying for the practice round only. May not even run the race, will depend on tires most likely.
    Assume the following:
    Fees don't change
    Shawn keeps the North Florida Region for 2012
    There are 7 rounds next year like there are this year.
    I actually run through a set of tires every weekend (unlikely on a 50hp bike).
    My wife travels with me (hotel because "The princess doesn't camp"):D
    As stated above, I don't figure food/beer because it's a necessity.
    Race gas will depend on if I do engine work to the bike this winter, may use pump gas.
    And the BIG ASSUMPTION... I don't crash.
    If you're as anal as me, you'll map all of the tracks and can figure total miles pretty easily. I guess you could also figure wear on your vehicle, which I didn't.

2012 North Florida Region Budget
    8000 miles driven @ 20 miles/gallon = 400 gallons of gas @ $3.50/gal = $1400for gas travel
    U4.4 Fuel 7 rounds at 5 gallons = 35 gallons @ $10 = $350 total
    4 sets of tires @ $350 a set = $1400 total
    $245 in fees per event (2 Sun races, $75 for Solo/Practice+ $30 gate fees (+$20 for Nat weekend, also added membership) $1,835
    $150 in hotels x 7 rounds $1,050
    Oil changes $25 x 7 $200
    Total costs = $6,235

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  14. canezach

canezach Well-Known Member

No WERA in Colorado, but for me, this is my breakdown:

Race license: $150 annually
    Tires: I figure I'll go through one front every two weekends and one rear every weekend. I'm buying 4 sets and some extra rears of BT003 race tires for about $1500
    Entry fees: since I work Sundays, I can only race endurance. Fortunately, it's about $60 a race, so $420 for the year. We get free admission to the track with our race entry fees. We also get a few practice sessions on saturday before the race.
    Gas: I run pump for the bike and generator, so about $25 a race day, or $175 for the year. I'll add another $250 to account for gas for the Blazer to get me to and from the races.
    Lodging: Sleep in my Blazer at the track, so I spend nothing. I also have friends who bring Winnebagos or camper trailers/toy haulers, but I'll throw some $$$ their way for their hospitality. It averages out to about $10 a weekend.
    Food, Gatorade, water, etc.: About $25 a race, so another $175
    Transponder: I bought mine a few years ago
    Misc: This is where I can really screw up my budget. Do I count the $1300 I spent on a new RS Taichi suit? What about maintenance? Knee pucks? Replacement parts? This is my X-factor.

Overall, I spend about $2320 to race seven weekends, or about $330 a weekend. It also helps that all our tracks are within a 3-hour drive.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  15. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

I include food and drinks in my cost because if I wasn't racing that weekend I would be consuming what I already had at the house. :Poke:

16. Kyle827

Kyle827 Well-Known Member

My cost first weekend with the school, gate fee, Friday track day, set of tires, and 2 sunday classes was 805.00

Could have been 505 without tires but thats no fun.

That was no fuel food beer or anything else included :)

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Which you also paid for...

I can see adding in the additional water/gatorade/whatever that wouldn't be consumed under normal exertion but that's about it.

18. Kyle827

Be Warned tho, you are paying 805.00 bucks for bascially a crack addicition. You WILL be back lmao

19. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Pretty much $1K/weekend.

20. Kyle827

No tires and no Friday track day I could have did the school and 2 races on sunday for 380.00

Its discouraging seeing 1K for a weekend so if you go bare mininium you could go for under 500 including food and fuel. 400 something total if you only did 1 race on Sunday.