1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much does it actually cost to grid up and race?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by eggfooyoung, Jan 13, 2011.

1. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

I would go for friday practice ($140), do one race saturday and two on sunday. camp all weekend, grill our own food, and buy one set of tires.
    $1000 weekend, more if I crashed. this was on a 1000cc aprilia.

2. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

You're going to average around 1k a weekend. No way around it really.

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

4. fzr400tony

fzr400tony can't ride

This is right about where I'm at with my SV (except I do three races instead of four). Also, I sleep in my trailer because I'm four hours away from the track. I save a bit on tires, because I started using the cheaper pirelli for the SV which is about $320/set. Plus, they seem to make it two weekends instead of just one, like Michelins I used the year before.

Racing a LW goes a long way towards helping out your budget.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Not only that, it will make you a better racer. I think it will also help keep you in the sport longer as you won't go bankrupt buying tires on a 600 or 1000.

6. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Here's a post I put on the NESBA board:

Last year I raced the full Mid Central season with WERA, ESS on an old gen Ninja 250.

$6099.50 for the season
    $677.72 per weekend (9)
    $406.63 per race (15)

This includes the cost of the bike, all mods, race entry fees, gas money, tires, hotel, transponder, and license.

7. compmoto

compmoto Team Geno

this thread...

is gonna make some folks re-think how much racing they'll do in '11 ! Grids are already down thanx to the economy,and other factors.
    I spend $450./up riding a RD400/RD350,NOT including fuel for the beastly Ram.Tires&brakes last all season. Does that mean I need to go fasster/harder ? :eek:
    with those things in consideration, racing vintage has been ALOT cheaper. Parts/consumables are less expensive too. Of course , you're not going quite as fast as modern bikes, but ... it was a great way to get out on the track, relatively inexpensive.
    oh,did I mention you'll likely be home Sat.night, and up for church the next AM, unless your 4-5 states away ? Being home on Sunday,is a big plus for me.
    The negative to that, is one misses out on the Sat.PM festivities/fellowship to be had after the vintage races are over ! I don't believe I've ever met a better bunch of folks! Indeed ! :up:

8. snikwad

snikwad Well-Known Member

Thank u guys so much. This thread is criminal awesome.

9. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

What are your guys feelings on gas prices effecting turn out this year? Gas prices are predicted to be over $4.00/gal by summer?

10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

You just have to add that to the bill. I doubt many will not race as much if they have to spend a few extra $$ to get to the track. I think more will re-think their trailer or tow vehicle purchase. I know if I'm going racing, an extra $50 for the weekend won't stop me:up:

11. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

For those on a seriously tight budget (like myself), $4 per gal MIGHT cause a few plans changed/cancelled.

For example, though I am not very competive at Road Atlanta I have an absolute blast there. I plan to race 1 round at RRR, 1 round at Jennings and 1 round at Road Atlanta, with a POSSIBILITY of adding the GNF. :beer:

But, with fuel @ $4 per gal, I MIGHT consider cancelling the June Road Atlanta and throw in another round at RRR to still keep the POSSIBILITY of the GNF. :(

@ $5 per gal, I MIGHT drop 1 of the 3 rounds I plan to race and most likely NOT make the GNF. :tut:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  12. Commander_Chaos

Commander_Chaos Hillbilly Genius

I just figured my V6/V7 budget for the year at 3,000. That's 4 race weekends, 2 races each, plus 4 track days. That covers entry fees, track day fees, gate fee, 2 sets of tires, and one day of Scientology School.

It doesn't cover gas, hotel, crashes/blown motors, transponder, or flowers and jewelry for my wife.

13. kevinnolde

kevinnolde kandjracingsolutions.com

Race a 250

For lowering costs the Ninja 250 is the way to go. Even with renting one the costs are way less than $1000 per weekend. In the C**A the costs are $150 for the Friday track day, the races for minis are $50 per race (E superstock and F-4) the Endurances are $35 per hour and tires are $250, they last about 8 hours of track time. Add $250 for the weekend rental and away you go. Split the cost with a friend and save. Gate fees and gas are about another $50 and a licence is $140.
    For WERA the cost are $150 for the trackday, Races are another $200 and the bike is $250 pre rented, no worries about tires or gas for Friday. The gate fees and gas are about $40.
    have fun, See you out there!

14. :clap: :rock:

15. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Pump gas prices wouldn't affect my racing at all. Going from $3.50/gal to $4.00/gal is only a 14% increase on what is already a relatively small expense - and this is coming from a guy who used to run a business hauling bikes to WERA rounds from Seattle (Miller - 900mi, Vegas - 1,200mi, Fontana - 1,200mi, Atlanta - 2,700mi).

Portland is the closest "travel" track to me at 200mi from my house, and that 50c extra would raise the travel cost from $94 to $106 round trip. I spend more than that difference in beer for the cooler.

16. tlr74

tlr74 4seven4

Yep, even when we head to Miller I'm thinking the round trip will run an additional 200.

17. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

^My first race weekend was on a rented Ninja from Mr. Nolde. I would absolutely recommend this to anybody thinking about trying racing. Here are some other good reasons aside from cost:

1. No pressure to go fast; you're on a Ninja 250.
    2. 250's crash well, not that you'll have to worry about that (but it's nice to know).
    3. You meet the nicest people on a Kawisa...wait, that can't be right.
    4. You can get used to the much closer passing (compared to TD's) on a bike that, if someone spooks you on corner entry, won't take a big wet bite out of your ass when you freak out.
    5. While Kevin takes care of the bike between practices and before the race, you have the entire day to talk to racers and check out their bikes.

18. LuckyBoi

LuckyBoi Active Member

i intentionally do not keep a ledger of expenses :D

19. STEEZO

STEEZO Well-Known Member

I did my first race this weekend. I ride a sv650 and only did one race because I just wanted to ease into it. I came in last in my race class but enjoyed every moment of it!! I now have a PB at RRR that WILL get beat the next time I race there. Here are my numbers:

$85 - Race Entry
    $30 - Gate Fee (for me and my girl)
    $30 - Water, Snacks (jerky, chips, cookies, fruit, etc)
    $65 (approx) - Gas for Truck (300mi round trip @ 17mpg)
    $10 - Gas for Bike (pump gas)
    $40 - Pictures (the cost was optional of course, but hopefully Brandon Bones can make me look like Jake Smith or Garrett Gerloff, hahaha)
    $40 - Dinner for two (on the way home)...another optional cost

In addition to the above
    $300 - Tires (a total of 17 laps were put on them @ a slow pace on Sun; two practice sessions and a race. They look barely scrubed. Will probably be good for another couple race weekend)

Like i said, this was my first race weekend. I'll sign up for 2 or three races next round. And as I pick up speed, my tire cost will increase.

20. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Congrats on becoming a racer. :up:

You would still drink water and eat food on weekends if you were racing or not. IMHO, $40 for dinner for 2 to "celebrate" an event is pretty darn inexpensive.

Would you have spent that much on any other weekend dining out?

Listing the cost of food and water as a racing expense just does not make sense to me. YMMV