1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much does it actually cost to grid up and race?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by eggfooyoung, Jan 13, 2011.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

OK, I know this has been beaten to death in General, but lets put together a current list of cost effective ways to help people decide if racing is affordable for them.

I know some of you guys keep track of costs down to the cent, so it would be nice to see a few lists of hard #'s for your weekends.

Also, list what bike(s) you're riding, and how many races you typically do.

2. mhanson

mhanson Member

I raced a GSXR750 last season in almost every class I was eligible, that related to about 7+- races per weekend. The race fees were about 350+- per weekend. Thats sans all other expenses.

However if you pick 1 or 2 or even 3 classes to compete in then the costs get much more reasonable and consistent. You will use far less tires etc... But then you sit and wait all weekend for 2-3 races. If you like being at the track thats great. But when I'm at the track I want to be on it.

Unfortunately, I dont keep a ledger of expenses.

3. erick1670

erick1670 Chapin

:stupid:
    that would be a great help b/c I like to do some racing this year, but dont know much to save for each event and how many races you could do for a day...

thanks...:beer::beer:

4. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Race entry fees for 4 races (600SS/SB, 750SS/SB) is between $300 and $400 depending on what club I'm racing with.

A set of tires are between $400 and $500 depending on what brand you use. On a 600 running at not-expert-winning-pace, you can make a rear go two weekends. Fronts generally last three to four weekends.

For practice and four races on my R6 I go through about fifteen gallons of fuel. The faster you go, the more fuel you'll use. Using pump gas that works out to be about $50.

Gate fees, $20.

Food and random other incidentals, I usually budget an extra $200 for.

Total cost for a weekend: $1000 to $1200 plus travel costs.

5. That is about what I spend, but it depends on how far the track is.

I also stay in a hotel and sometimes it is a 10-11hr drive 1-way. On weekends like that, the total cost could be over $1500.

If i had to guess, i would say my average is around $1200-$1400 a weekend.

6. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

Here are some figures;

Gate fee............$20 (depending on location)

Race License..... $110 (one time fee)

SOLO 20............$75 (pre entry), $85 day of event

1st Sprint race....$75 (pre entry), $85 day of event

2nd Sprint race...$65.

Additional races...$55

Transponder........$60

Tires..................$320 (and up depending)

First weekend including license, 1 SOLO 20, 2 sprints and tires= $725, plus fuel to get there, pump fuel for the race bike, water and food.

Camping at the track saves money and IMO the fun in the pits after the races outweighs the best hotel room!! :beer:

My average cost per race weekend in 2009 was $900 or so depending on where the race was. I raced 1 SOLO and 2 Sprint races and bought new tires every race weekend (Stickboy had the best prices then!) My theory on tires; cheap insurance. Why risk pushing shagged tires? Overkill? maybe, but I didn't wreck due to tire issues!

7. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

Fudgery! $900 per weekend? My wife is gonna kick my butt.

8. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

I am sure it can be done cheaper, not by much though. :(

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Like Paintshaker said, $110 license is yearly. Buy a transponder instead of renting one for $60. Race a smaller bike like an SV650 and you might get 4 weekends out of a set of tires. Race with a buddy and save money there also. It can be done a little cheaper than $900.

10. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

Everything you got and then some.

11. ProfessorX

ProfessorX Well-Known Member

The cheapest racing is probably lightweight vintage racing. The D and clubman racing I did my first year was probably close to as cheap as you can go, as well. I ran a superstock legal EX500 in DSS, DSB, and clubman. I ran eight weekends and earned (Note that I did not use the word "won" :up:) five regional titles.

I went through two sets of Michelin power race tires. Today, two sets of race tires would be around $700 rather than the $450 I spent 5 years ago (yikes). So about $55/event for rubber. Entry fees and gate fees $220/event.
    I was able to get up early (sometimes 2 a.m.) and drive to every track (BeaveRun, Summit Pt, and Nelson Ledges) Sunday morning, so no camping or motel expenses. I pulled my bike on a tiny open trailer with my Mazda Protege, so I got around 32/mpg.
    I went through 6-7 gallons of pump gas each event.
    My buddy had a generator.
    I bought a transponder.
    I didn't crash.

So, doing it purely for the experience and fun of it, it was $500/event, adding fuel for travel and bike oil changes but not counting bike, warmers, shelter, riding gear, transponder, etc. That novice season of "cheap" racing cost me over five grand. :eek::(:D

12. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

My first weekend last year was expensive because of the rider school
    $300 for the school/practice day (friday)
    $320 for new tires
    $50 Race license (last race of the season)
    $140 Race fees (1 sprint, 1 Solo)
    ~$40 gate fees for me and wife

I camped at that track (free), and I never really count gas for the truck. Tires were because I NEEDED tires. I would not get new tires every weekend, only if I really needed them. I am not near fast enough to need fresh tires for each race.
    I am doing 4-5 races this year. Probably 3-4 classes a weekend, and I will do the Friday practice for each weekend.

13. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

So we're roughly taking about $1000.00 per weekend?

14. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

get out the check book vinny

15. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

2009-most of 2010 I was doing race weekends for about $500-$600. Thats traveling in a group, sleeping in the truck, packing my own food and drinks and running my buddies take of tires. That was on a variaty of 600cc bikes entering 2-3 races.

Now I spend about $900-$1000. I run smaller displacement bikes...IE 500cc and I enter 6 races. lol New tires every week and I finally own a transponder.

Its not cheap but you can do it on a budget.

PS I have lots of great take off's for sale...$100 a set. wink wink nod nod lol

16. LWGP

LWGP Well-Known Member

Assume you already have a race bike that will pass tech.
    You have all the gear for yourself.
    You have an ezup and a couple of chairs
    Assume you will not crash
    You do not run race gas
    You do not use tire warmers and don't need a generator.
    You have already taken and passed the new riders school.
    You have suitable transport for you and the bike to & from the track

When I raced an SV, these were my expenses per race:

4 classes per weekend: $200-$300 entry fees
    One set of tires per weekend: $360
    Gate fees per weekend: $20
    Gas for the bike: $20
    A cooler with ice, sandwiches, water and gatorade: doesn't count because you are going to have to eat anyway.
    Gas if the race was an "away race" - $100
    Hotel if the race was an "away race" $200

So, around $700 if the race is near enough to sleep at home.
    Appx $1000 if I had to travel. I traveled about 3 times a year, the other races were at the track an hour from my house.

17. Hyper08

Hyper08 Well-Known Member

How many people are not using warmers?

18. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Lots of vintage guys arent using them....thats about it. lol

19. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

I was hoping maybe you could spot me a couple of weekends...:D

20. A safe bet would be $1k a weekend; that is a pretty good average.

As mentioned, it all depends on the classes you run (how many), what kind of tires you use (and how many), if you camp or stay in a hotel, go out to eat or make sandwiches etc.